Any other epileptics out there?

by BluesBrother 13 Replies latest social physical

• avishai
    avishai

bttt

• Mulan
    Mulan

Our second son, now age 38, had several episodes in his 20's, triggered by reading. The doctor told him it is very rare, and usually ones with that form of epilepsy are triggered by video games.

He was never on any medications for it. He told us he would be working on a job (construction) and reading at lunchtime. He would wake up hours later and it was dark, and he knew it had happened again. One time he had an episode when he was living with the woman he later married, and had a full blown grand mal seizure and went to the ER. That time he had been reading in bed and was very tired,..............he said his eyes start blurring and shifting and he "stutters" as he reads (not sure what that means). Then it hits.

He hasn't had any in many years now, but is careful he doesn't read too long when he is tired.

• avishai
    avishai

epilepsy sux.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Hi Blues,

I've had partial complex seizures ever since I had a head injury, years ago. Most of the time they are under control, the break-thru types occur during periods of high stress or the rare occasions I run out of meds.

You have to hang in there, if you let this sucky disease stress you out too much, it will bite you in the butt. Most people who have epilepsy as adults may have to take meds for the rest of their lives. I know...I know, but what ya' gonna do? I have good insurance right now, but, there have been times I did not. My cost for 2 Rx's...Neurontin & Depakote was over $800/month.

Depending on your income...your Doctor may be able to get you qualified with the drug manufacturer to receive your meds at a discount or even for free!

It's not the end of the world.

Good Luck !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit