What Excuses Did You Have For Missing Meetings?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

My meeting attendance was quite good, almost right up until I ceased involvement. I was always perplexed by the amount of guilt that people had and the need we had to justify why we weren't there. But once you eliminate the guilt it was so easy to just not go and you felt so good.

Even now, I feel so good not to go, not to have to rush home from work or skip dinner or to put on a tie and jump in a cold car and sit under the bright lights for 2 hours. I didn't mind the meetings sometimes but the schedule was just too demanding.

These days when I meet a JW and they ask about why I am not there, or what they can do to help me come back, I just say my reasons for not going are "personal and private" and that I feel much better with things this way. Many that don't go to meetings feel guilty and down about that, but when you feel good about not going they are somewhat perplexed. You just aren't supposed to feel good, but they feel pretty good too when a speaker doesn't show or a meeting is cancelled due to bad weather.

Path

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

My 6 year old told his dad he couldn't go to the meeting because his nipples hurt.My husband didn't know what to say! lol

• minimus
    minimus

If the elders ever ask me why I wasn't at the meeting,I , too, will tell them , it was because my nipples hurt.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It's time to come clean:

I stopped going to the meetings during college. No excuses, just didn't go. It was fun!

Then I started skipping out halfway - that way I didn't have to sit through the Watchtower.

Then I quit coming altogether.

Ahh, the sweet sounds of a Sunday hangover...

CZAR

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Bittersweet,

Your son's name isn't Valis is it????? hehe

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

To Newbies, hurt and justhuman,

Sloboy's spouse here. I have stood in those shoes and stared them down right on my porch. "How can I expect Jehovah to preserve me alive?" they asked me. I told them if he's a God of Love and he chooses to preserve me into a Paradise he will, but if not, because He Is A God of Love, then if he chooses to destroy me, I will just be asleep. The looks on their faces were unbelievable.

"The elder loses power over you" hurt said. So true, and you do start to breath and live again.

justhuman said "I WORK" in response to questions of his whereabouts on meeting days.

Loved your response justhuman. I am middle aged, working 40 hrs a week and going to college. No children to help me in my golden years, no education and Lord knows I never needed to think about my financial future. . . . . Hello!!?? So that's another thing I told them, "I'm taking care of some matters that I have neglected for decades."

First it gets different, then it gets better. I amangry, but I laugh too.

Just wanted you both to know that you are not alone, as so many on this board have affirmed the same for me, including you two. Happy Thursday.

SloBoy's Spouse

• justhuman
    justhuman

Next time I will say I saw Elvis performing life in Las Vegas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit