Laptops..PC ?

by Brummie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

Whats your experience with laptop PCs?

Need help, will buy one soon, anyone in UK know of any good deals or hints before buying one? they cost to much to make a bad move.

Will probably buy from Dixons or PC world or some big name store just to be sure that its genuinely covered. Recommendations?

Brummie

• rebel
    rebel

Brummie,

Check out www.insight.com

They are very good and have a huge range.

Personally, I don't think you can beat Sony but they are very expensive compared to others.

One thing with laptops - you can't upgrade them the same way you can a good old PC so I prefer my PC. Anyone know of a laptop that is easily upgradeable?

xxR

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I like DELL for Laptops, I've had good luck with them.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Brummie

My advice is don't buy a Lap Top from PCWorld and other Dixon group stores. I bought an Advent machine and have had nothing but trouble with it. I took it back to the store after a few month of ownership, I wanted a replacement, they would only repair it even though it had gone wrong so many times. Their warranty is a repair one and they are not abliged to replace goods.

I paid for an extra 2 years protection agains damage or failer. They are all friendly when they want the readies, but after you have paid they don't want to know. After months of ownership they just refer you back to the manufacturer.

The best Lap tops I was advised on (after I bought this one) was to go for a Toshiba, they don't seem to get many back in store for repair. Dell seem to have good LT's too, I don't really recommend Sony myself, I have was told that they mix and match their parts from other manufacturers, where as Toshiba don't......so I am informed.

I hope this helps.........

Qwerty.................Not edited for spelling and grammer!

Edited by - qwerty on 5 December 2002 5:42:6

• zev
    zev

i own a toshiba laptop. i have to agree, it has been trouble free, and i've owned it over a year now. mine is of the satillite series. dvd drive, and ALL the periferals are IN THE LAPTOP.
    network card, usb com ports, tv video, modem, sound card, infared, its all there.

i'm happy with it, and i'd recomend it to anyone.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

I own a IBM, compaq and sony laptop- my money is on the sony....Had it over a year- travel with it use it it the vehicle- it's been through some hard times with me and zero problems with it.

• LostinSpace
    LostinSpace

Hi, Ive been in the Computer Industry for over 12 years now - and one of my roles has been to "build"

a Base Build Operating System for Laptops for large corporates in the UK. Ive had years of

experience with Compaq, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony and IBM.

They all have their Good and Bad points.

I agree with another comment made - DO NOT buy from PC World -they are an absolute disgrace

as to Customer Services etc - with added charges etc..the 0% Interest Free Options may look

ood - but if you look closely they are not worth the paper the contract's written on.

Up until last year I would of recommended either a Compaq/Tosh or a Dell - but at the moment

Dell sticks out as the front runner - Compaq did have a few bargains aswell

(dont know if you are aware, but HP now own Compaq - if you go to http://www.compaq.co.uk/auctions

you will find now and again they will have a batch of laptops there - going for a song...these have

been discontinued because of the name change from compaq to HP - I was lucky enough to get a 1600

laptop (DVD//CDR) 512MB RAM, 40GB HD for 489 - the warranty is still there aswell...they are not

always there...but worth looking at now and again. It all depends what you want the laptop for ...but Dell rocks at the moment - next day service call etc.

good warranty and decent DELL kit...not like some manufactureres now - they are just badged

products...ie. have a IBM badge on the front - but the iside you have other manufactureres hardware inside.

Hope that helps, if you give me an idea of what you are looking for - what you need as a necessity I'll get

u a list of a few for you to look at...and of course price....

D

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thanks you guys thats all been real helpful...will be looking for Dell Toshiba or Sony in that order.

Querty thanks for the warning on PC world ...

Lostinspace very helpful!

I was lucky enough to get a 1600 laptop (DVD//CDR) 512MB RAM, 40GB HD for 489 - the warranty is still there aswell...

That sounds about right fer me. I'm looking at the web page you mentioned now

Thanks again

Brummie

• LostinSpace
    LostinSpace

remember you have to be patient with the compaq auction site - the laptops are not always there - pop into the site every couple of days..

there are good deals on the deskops EVERY day there.

Good luck

• Simon
    Simon

Depends what you want it for but ...

I would recommend against ones that look really tiny and cute but which need lots of addon bits and bobs to use (floppy, CD, extension ports) because they are a nightmare to use unless you are happy with the small, light thing.

I have an oldish Dell which is a 'desktop replacement' type one (only 650Mhz) and while it's bigger than a lot of others at work, I can get it out and start using it while others are still plugging in all their little bits. It also takes a couple of batteries so it can run all day and has a good sized screen which makes it easier to work with.

All depends what you need it for really as to what features are important.

I think Dell / Tosh / Sony are good recommendations - I've used all of them and they are all good in different ways (if you have a Sony camera / camcorder then the Sony may have extra features that would be useful)

Make sure you get a lot of memory ... that's more important that processor speed IMHO for performance.

Edited by - Simon on 5 December 2002 11:49:20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit