I Find This "Humerus" ( ad1914.com )

by Gilgamesh 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

copied from http://ad1914.com/2015/01/10/i-find-this-humerus/ 

I am including this post to the site because it reveals something about just how crazy we have been at coming up with “strange doctrines.” Some would just chalk it up to  the insanity of Fred Franz.

By 1951, the Watchtower started doing some math: 33+37=70 so 1914+37=1951. (See Kingdom Haul of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Part 2 of 2). [about half-way into the post]

In the early 1950’s, therefore, the closeness of Armageddon was so sure, that the Watchtower was already discussing how they would go about handling the next big assignment, picking up bones:

*** w53 12/15 p. 763 Questions From Readers ***
    Yet the survivors of Armageddon will not let the earth lie littered with bleached bones, but will bury them to cleanse the land, as Ezekiel 39:12 states: “And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land.”

*** w56 8/1 p. 465 par. 17 Jehovah’s Message Against Gog of Magog ***
    With such a glorious feast of victory concluded, only the bones, bones from one end of the earth to the other, will be left for burial. What a task that will be for the survivors, …Even with the work well organized it will take seven months, Jehovah says, just to bury the bones. Scouting corps will be sent out on a full-time basis to search the land thoroughly and, when bones are found, markers will be set up for those with the spades and shovels who follow. Those privileged to share in that cleanup work will not view it as a revolting and disgusting assignment but will rejoice to be alive when Gog’s long and oppressive rule has come to an end and when the wicked are no more. Survivors of Armageddon will be happy and will greatly rejoice to have a share in preparing the earth for a global paradise of beauty and perfection under the reign of the King Christ Jesus. But first, before that happy day, this message against Gog must be delivered in its completeness.

Although discussion of this topic started in the early 1950’s it kept going strong well into the 1960’s. About 1966, our congregation rehearsed a “drama” for the “circuit servant’s visit” where we re-enacted this same full-time bone-picking ministry. I was in it, too. We used long-dead, dried cow-bones, plentiful in mid-western grazing fields,  and laid them around the Kingdom Hall stage.

In the drama, while collecting the bones into burlap sacks, Armageddon survivors wondered aloud to each other where certain other brothers were — where “Brother One-Hour” was, for example. Then a brother holding a gunny sack full of bones, throws them down saying melodramatically: “You don’t suppose??!!??….” (Other missing persons had names like “Sister Rarely-Got-To-Meetings.”) One “actor” got a big laugh by picking up an old skull with horns as he ad-libbed: “Looks like this brother died because he was too bull-headed.” 

• Simon
    Simon

What did those 'missing' brothers do with their lives vs those who stayed in and wasted theirs?

It's easy to laugh at them but it's sad how many were deceived and spent so long thinking they were right but surely realizing they were wrong as they get older and older and older.

• RecoveringISFJ
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

It was about this time I started attended the Kingdom Hall in Fort Worth, Texas.

I heard this quite a bit.

I have to say, most of the Bros. & Sister's were gleeful about it, as though they

were in on a macabre joke.

Much discussion of a gossipy nature centered on the birds of the heavens picking the bones clean.

What was my impression?

Compared to the bland vanilla piety of regular church, I thought it was rather entertaining like going to a horror movie.

Did I believe any of it?

I can't say that it penetrated my rational mind toward acceptance.

It was merely interesting. I'd compare it to knowing somebody who could touch

their nose with the tip of their own tongue.  It was a bizarre novelty you'd show off

to others merely to get a reaction.

The above plus an obsession about Jesus NOT having a beard was really a big deal with JW's in the 50's.

Sigh. . . 

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Ah yes, I remember it well. As a child born in the early 50's to JW parents and grandparents these ideas were taught to me as absolute fact. The effect on a kid is large. You are desensitized toward death in general and especially toward unbelievers. Add to that, the not-so-subtle assurance that if you are not a "strong" enough Witness someone will be picking up YOUR bones. I spent nearly 60 years worrying that I didn't do enough to save myself and my children- a .terrible way to live.                                    edited to add: It also teaches the flock to judge others WITHIN the cong. as worthy of death if they are weak. Nice huh?
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

3rdgen, It hadn't occurred to me until recently that the theme was exactly as you said: judging others WITHIN the congregation. The ad-libber didn't say "this person...was too bull-headed" but "this BROTHER." But he was only picking up on the whole theme of wondering where Brother "One-Hour" was, or where Sister "Rarely-Got-To-Meetings" was. There were three or four other names along those same lines, and I wish I could remember them.  

The 1956 article is obviously a little too gleeful. It reminds me of Fred Franz who loved pushing those buttons to prove something...I don't know what. Maybe like Terry said, to get a reaction.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Oh yes the silly names. Like bro Worldly or sis Jezebel Influence. The Habitually Late family. The Chewing Gum kids, Bro Needza Shower. Sisters Gossipy, and Whispers During Meetings, etc LOL  
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG
    Just when I think the religion of my birth couldnt possibly be any dumber.....
  • millie210
    millie210

I had forgotten about this somehow.

Now it is all being brought back to me. What a terrible concept it seems to me now! As bad or worse than the Paradise book with the ground splitting open and the people running away.

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

Simon,   So true. I'm not reusing the "humerus" meme because I think the doctrine was truly funny. It's very sad, and there aren't enough who realize they were wrong. Even as they get older and older, they look back at some of the silly history of the current silliness -- and they seem to be able to laugh it off too easily. As long as you are always right in the present, it doesn't matter how wrong you were in the past. It couldn't have been that serious, they think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit