Australian Branch Stats?

by Marvin Shilmer 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Okay, more on my statistical review.

So far:

1. I've focused my attention on two things. The sample of peak publishers in the Australian branch and the population of that sample of cases reported of individuals with standing in a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses who've sexually molested a child (or children). (See my second post in this discussion for more detail on criteria for inclusion)

2. For the 10-year period of 2005-2014 I found an annual average incident rate of 0.000401 per peak publisher. Applied to the worldwide peak publishers for the same 10-year period extrapolates 28,827 individuals associated with Jehovah's Witnesses that have been reported for sexual molestation of a child.

3. For the 10-year period of 2005-2014 I found victims at an annual average rate of 0.000645 per peak publisher. Applied to the worldwide peak publishers for the same 10-year period extrapolates 46,102 child victims.

Trend

The result of a question asked of trends and subsequent number crunching found the following:

4. When I constructed 10-year averages of reported cases it showed at year 1999 nearly the same case incidence level as the average for years 2005-2014. Prior to this the incident rate had been growing, but it was in 1999 that a 10-year average incident rate of 0.000401 per peak publisher was achieved. This made me look back to in-and-around 1989 to see if something at that time would have augmented reporting of child molestation. 1989 was the year Watchtower sent out a letter to congregation elders that singled out child molestation and directed elders to always report these allegations to Watchtower by calling its legal department. To my knowledge this was the first of such a directive to elders. This would explain why reporting began to rise of child molestation allegations in particular.

5. The 10-year average incident rate of 0.000401 per peak publisher as of 2014 represents somewhat of a downward trend. I say "downward" because as a 10-year average this prevalence was first achieved in 1999. After than it went up, reaching a zenith in year 2008 at 0.000681 per peak publishers as a 10-year average. Since then as a 10-year average the incident rate has slowly declined back to its 1999 level.

6. For whatever it's worth, applied to the worldwide peak publishers for the period of 1975-2014 incident values disclosed in the Australian Branch data extrapolates 81,821 reported cases worldwide of perpetrators with standing in a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and it extrapolates 148,040 child victims. Over this span of years the average number of congregations per year is about 73,000. This means for the period of 1975-2014 each congregation has experienced, on the average, at least one reported case of a child molester in its midst. (Personal note: this fits my own experience. In my years working with several congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't recall one where elders had not reported at least one incident of child molestation. These probably included incidents that are not included in my statistical review because my review excluded for one reason or another more than 150 of the cases included in the Australian Branch data report. But when I was through crunching these numbers it dawned on me that this fits what I've experienced myself.)

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Thank you and very interesting your research.Just a question. Why did you use peak publisher and not average publisher. Wouldn't the average publishers give a more accurate picture. If you were to use ave pubs what would the numbers come out at. I also think you need to post these current findings in another thread.
  • Mephis
    Mephis
    Marvin - there was a WT article in October 1983 which pretty much encouraged those who'd been abused within the family to go to the elders for 'spiritual help'. 1985 started with the Awake on child molestation. Not sure if that would explain any bump in numbers for the period you mention.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Why did you use peak publisher and not average publisher. Wouldn't the average publishers give a more accurate picture. If you were to use ave pubs what would the numbers come out at.

Whether I used the peak or average publisher count it would not matter to the end result because the population size is fixed based on the hard count in the data base of cases. The only reason I used peak publishers is because Watchtower's submissions to the Royal Commission about the number of Jehovah's Witnesses in the Australian Branch uses the peak publisher count.

I also think you need to post these current findings in another thread.

If there is enough interest in these values I might do that. Let's see whether there is an appetite for the discussion.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin - there was a WT article in October 1983 which pretty much encouraged those who'd been abused within the family to go to the elders for 'spiritual help'. 1985 started with the Awake on child molestation. Not sure if that would explain any bump in numbers for the period you mention.

I considered that. But the main "bump" I saw began in or around 1989-1990. Remember the case files from the Australian Branch are a result of reporting from elders, and not all this reporting is the result of judicial committee activity. I think this fits the profile of direction issued in 1989 for elders to report to Watchtower's legal department the reporting of any allegation of child abuse. As of that letter, it didn't matter if the allegation had ramification of a judicial committee. The mere report of child abuse instigated a report to Watchtower.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Very interesting.

I vote you start a new thread!

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Sorry, Marvin, was addressing when you asked for possible reasons for a bump in the mid-80s. Those are the only things I can think of to explain that. Their habit of torching older elders' letters makes it difficult to establish whether there was anything branch directed, but one would suspect not. The 89/early 90s bump, well, yes, as discussed on other threads over the past couple of weeks.
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Very interesting info. I wonder what the difference between 1st and 3rd world countries would be As far as abuse numbers. I would expect it to be higher in 3rd world countries but under reported.

It seems that in every case you used the most moderate numbers possible. with that in mind the actual numbers most likely exceed your analysis. Thanks for your hard work You obviously have a knack for number crunching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit