Australian Branch Stats?

by Marvin Shilmer 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    Ah ok, interesting you've noticed that. I was wondering if there was perhaps a correlation between the figures and how they were handling matters. Seems you may be on to something! ;)
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I was wondering if there was perhaps a correlation between the figures and how they were handling matters. Seems you may be on to something!

We cannot always know why a sample will be populated as we find it, but in cases where we can't be sure sometimes we can make good guesses based on available evidence.

Regardless, a population value we find against a given sample size will be whatever it is. In terms of extrapolation our duty is to do it responsibly and not to a given result. In this case, beginning about 25 years ago Watchtower gave steam to an effort to have local elders give special treatment to reports of sexual child abuse. Taking a look at the overall annual levels of reported cases of perpetrators, and specifically to cases involving JWs or anyone with standing in a congregation, will provide a good glimpse into whatever consequences resulted from this policy shift. As I have time to work on this I'll share it. It's not rocket science. It just takes time.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

It's clear though that the global figures are shocking.

• sir82
    sir82

Assuming the numbers are reasonably accurate, that works out to 1 abuser for every 4 congregations over the past 10 years, or about 5 per circuit. At a regional convention, there may well be a couple dozen child rapists wandering the halls.

Think about that the next time you attend an assembly and see dozens of kids running around without parental supervision.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    It's clear though that the global figures are shocking.

I don't think the overall numbers will be particularly shocking. We already know child abuse is prevalent, and we have no reason to think the JW community is immune from this plague. It's just a fact that so far no one has had a solid basis to calculate the numbers (other that Watchtower insiders, that is!). Now that's changed. We now have something substantial as a basis to measure as a minimum how much of this is going on in the JW community.

The thing I think people should focus on is the fact that Watchtower asks the JW community to report these incidences to its own appointees but has no protocol at all in place that offers even a shred of protection to the wider community of children based on these reports. Watchtower acts like the moral advice to love your neighbor as yourself is of no account! How can it be said that Watchtower policy would have elders (for that matter, any JW!!!) love their own neighbors as they love themselves when they do not advise those elders to make local law enforcement aware of child abuse allegations. The whole thing is upside-down and backwards from a moral perspective, and elders in Australia are learning that perhaps what they've been doing is illegal too!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Okay, I'm back for more help.

This is what I need: Peak publishers for Australia branch for each year for years 1975 through 2014.

Never mind. I found it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I notice something about the statistical values I'm generating and have a question:

- Is there something that would have caused a difference in the prevalence of elders reporting child molestation in in the years 1983, 1984 or 1985 in Australia or any other branch?

I know in the late 1980s (1989 as I recall) there was a letter sent to congregation elders that emphasized that elders should report to Watchtower (legal department) if they heard report of physical or sexual abuse of a child. This would tend to augment reports to Watchtower of child abuse, including sexual abuse. But my question asks whether there was something akin to this that occurred somewhere in or around 1983-5.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

"Think about that the next time you attend an assembly and see dozens of kids running around without parental supervision".

Not if they pay attention and do as they are advised at every assembly and convention: "Parents, keep your children with you at all times".

• Sabin
    Sabin
    Nitty-Gritty why do you keep missing the point. Don't you get it, it`s more than just numbers. They LIED! for gods sake woman, they told all of us that these wicked men would NEVER hold privileges in the org. That's why so many parents trusted the elders, pioneers, MS. Don't you think if they had known the truth they would have been more alert. They say their representatives of Jehovah, who cannot lie. This isn't a mistake its deliberate, they knew. The kingdom of God belongs to these one`s. To the children & they have knowingly put them in danger. Everyone of those men put in the witness box had only one concern. PROTECTING THE ORG, not Jehovahs name & not the kids. GET IT.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    This isn't a mistake its deliberate, they knew. The kingdom of God belongs to these one`s. To the children & they have knowingly put them in danger.

Yes. Watchtower knowingly put men into trusted and authoritative positions who had sexually molested a child or children. It's beyond reprehensible. It makes a dog want to defecate! It's even harder on a human with any sense of decency!

Everyone of those men put in the witness box had only one concern. PROTECTING THE ORG, not Jehovahs name & not the kids.

Yep. And that says plenty!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit