I know the Bible is True

by SwedishChef 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sunstarr
    sunstarr

Rem,

I appreciate that you have done much research, and mine is not to discredit the work you have done. Having said that:

There is much evidence that all life is related.

I would agree with that statement. On the other hand:

The logical conclusion is that all life has a single common ancestor... whether that be "ooze" or self-replicating molecules or whatever.
    I would not agree with that statement. That is hypothesizing. Can you really show me proof of the existence of premordial life? No one was there to witness this life. No one was there to record it. It is no more factual than saying life is related because God created nature to be in harmony with itself. It is no more factual than saying God blew the breath of life into man's nostrils. Again, I recognize that not all evolutionists are atheists. In your case, though, it does apply. Further, I'm not trying to prove that a Creator is the ONLY possible cause. However, I get very tired of seeing many on this board attack the notion, despite the possibility of a Creator being the cause. As far as biblical scientific errors, I have seen none. Perhaps you believe there are some. However, I have never found them.
  • pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Sunstarr,

Analogy would lead me one step further, namely, to the belief that all animals and plants have descended from some one prototype. But analogy may be a deceitful guide. Nevertheless all living things have much in common, in their chemical composition, their germinal vesicles, their cellular structure, and their laws of growth and reproduction. We see this even in so trifling a circumstance as that the same poison often similarly affects plants and animals; or that the poison secreted by the gall-fly produces monstrous growths on the wild rose or oak-tree. Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed. - Charles Darwin

Sounds like Rod Serling to me. How many absurdities are required to change ones mind?

Im not sure how finding fault with Darwins work, is going to prove the Bible is true. Disbelief in the Bible does not require belief in evolution. Point out as many absurdities as you want, Darwin's work is not considered inspired.

Now back to the inspired absurdities.

12 Then spoke Joshua to Jehovah in the day when Jehovah gave up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand still upon Gibeon; And thou, moon, in the valley of Ajalon! 13 And the sun stood still, and the moon remained where it was, until the nation had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? And the sun remained standing in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a full day. 14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that Jehovah hearkened to the voice of a man; for Jehovah fought for Israel. Josh 10:12-14 (Darby's)

Absurd! Why didn't Jehovah just kill the Amorites? He certainly didn't have a problem killing the Sodomites. Maybe the God who created everything out of nothing, felt like doing things the hard way. He stopped or slowed down the rotation of the earth for 24 hours just so his beloved Israelites could slaughter the Amorites. Besides, this would help reinforce the idea that the sun revolved around the earth.

Abimelech lusts after an old woman.

1 And Abraham departed thence towards the south country, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned at Gerar. 2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister. And Abimelech the king of Gerar sent and took Sarah. Gen 20:1-2 (Darby's)

How old was Sarah? Read what was previously written concerning Sarah's age:

10 And he said, I will certainly return to thee at this time of the year, and behold, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah was listening at the tent-door, which was behind him. 11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old and advanced in age: it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. 12 And Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am become old, shall I have pleasure, and my lord old? 13 And Jehovah said to Abraham, Why is this, that Sarah laughs, saying, Shall I indeed bear, when I am become old? 14 Is any matter too wonderful for Jehovah? At the time appointed I will return to thee, at this time of the year, and Sarah shall have a son. Gen 18:10-15 (Darby's)

Of course Abraham knew what he was doing, because he had already used this trick before.

10 And there was a famine in the land. And Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was grievous in the land. 11 And it came to pass when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a woman fair to look upon. 12 And it will come to pass when the Egyptians see thee, that they will say, She is his wife; and they will slay me, and save thee alive. 13 Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister, that it may be well with me on thy account, and my soul may live because of thee. 14 And it came to pass when Abram came into Egypt, that the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair. 15 And the princes of Pharaoh saw her, and praised her to Pharaoh; and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house. 16 And he treated Abram well on her account; and he had sheep, and oxen, and he-asses, and bondmen, and bondwomen, and she-asses, and camels. 17 And Jehovah plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife. 18 And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this thou hast done to me? Why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife? 19 Why didst thou say, She is my sister, so that I took her as my wife. And now, behold, there is thy wife: take her, and go away. 20 And Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him, and they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had. Gen 12:10-20 (Darby's)

Abimelech must be really stupid or really hard up. Abraham's son pulls the same trick on him.

6 And Isaac dwelt at Gerar. 7 And the men of the place asked about his wife. And he said, She is my sister; for he feared to say, my wife, saying to himself, Lest the men of the place slay me on account of Rebecca--because she was fair in countenance. 8 And it came to pass when he had been there some time, that Abimelech the king of the Philistines looked out of the window, and saw, and behold, Isaac was dallying with Rebecca his wife. 9 Then Abimelech called Isaac, and said, Behold, she is certainly thy wife; and how saidst thou, She is my sister? and Isaac said to him, Because I said, Lest I die on account of her. 10 And Abimelech said, What is this thou hast done to us? But a little and one of the people might have lain with thy wife, and thou wouldest have brought a trespass on us. 11 And Abimelech charged all the people, saying, He that touches this man or his wife shall certainly be put to death. Gen 26:6-11 (Darby's)

Absurd, or maybe Dittography is the proper term for this and the following narratives.

Lot says, "Have sex with my two virgin daughters, but don't mess with these men."

I'm Glad I'm not one of his kids.

1 And the two angels came to Sodom at even. And Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. And Lot saw them, and rose up to meet them; and he bowed down, the face toward the ground, 2 and he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and lodge, and wash your feet; and ye shall rise up early, and go on your way. And they said, No; but we will pass the night in the open place. 3 And he urged them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house. And he made them a repast, and baked unleavened cakes; and they ate. 4 Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, from the youngest to the oldest--all the people from every quarter. 5 And they called to Lot, and said to him, Where are the men that have come in to thee to-night? bring them out to us that we may know them. 6 And Lot went out to them to the entrance, and shut the door after him, 7 and said, I pray you, my brethren, do not wickedly! 8 Behold now, I have two daughters who have not known a man: let me now bring them out to you; and do to them as is good in your sight: only, to these men do nothing; for therefore have they come under the shadow of my roof. 9 And they said, Back there! And they said again, This one came to sojourn, and he must be a judge? Now we will deal worse with thee than with them. And they pressed hard on the man--on Lot; and drew near to break the door. 10 And the men stretched out their hand, and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door. 11 And they smote the men that were at the entrance of the house with blindness, from the smallest to the greatest; and they wearied themselves to find the entrance. Ge n 19:1-11 (Darby's)

This guy must be one of Lots relatives.

Whats with the cutting the concubine into five pieces?

22 They were making their hearts merry, when behold, the men of the city, sons of Belial, surrounded the house, beating at the door; and they spoke to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thy house, that we may know him. 23 And the man, the master of the house, went out to them, and said to them, No, my brethren, I pray you, do not wickedly; seeing that this man is come into my house, do not this villany. 24 Behold, my daughter, who is a virgin, and his concubine; let me bring them out, and humble ye them, and do to them as is good in your sight; but to this man do not so vile a thing. 25 But the men would not hearken to him; and the man took his concubine, and brought her forth to them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning; and let her go when the morning-dawn arose. 26 And the woman came at the dawning of the day, and fell down at the entrance of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light. 27 And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the door of the house, and went out to go his way, and behold, there lay the woman his concubine at the entrance of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold. 28 And he said to her, Up, and let us go; but no one answered. And he took her upon the ass; and the man rose up, and went to his place. 29 And when he was come into his house, he took the knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, according to her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the borders of Israel. 30 And it came to pass that every one that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came out of Egypt to this day. Think it over, advise, and speak. Judges 19:22-30 (Darby's)

I could go on with the impossibilities of a worldwide flood, the problems with the authorship of the Pentateuch and the issues of the synoptic gospels, but this will do for now.

I once considered myself a Christian. I had always known that there were a few problems with the Bible but I didn't worry about it. The only reasonable explanation was that there was a God and the Bible was his inspired word. It was not until encountering the Witnesses and their messed up theology that I embarked upon an extensive study of the Bible. My intent was not to become an Atheist, but to find out what was really taught in the Bible. Fortunately I never bought into the Witnesses' twisted logic. But along the way my research began to reveal that there were more and more problems with the Word of God. These problems along with alternate explanations of how the Bible could have developed naturally as a work of man reached a point of critical mass. After months of denial I had to accept the fact, that for 30 years I had mistakenly believed what was forced upon me as a child. I did not want to give up the hope of an afterlife or the idea that there is a God and a purpose to this life. I did not want to be labeled with the term Atheist in a society that thinks that Atheists are idiots. I liked the feeling of fellowship and the thought that I was pleasing a higher power with my actions. I'm torn apart when my mom suggests that I should go to church, not because I fear God or feel guilt, but because I know that she has believed in God for 65 years and I have no right to cause her to doubt her beliefs. I had absolutely no intention of becoming an Atheist. But, I honestly cannot ignore the years of research that have brought me to this point. I really see no need to debate with the average Christian concerning their beliefs. If they are happy and religion is not overwhelming their lives then I will respect their beliefs. I will occasionally debate with Christians but only when they are willing to do so, or when it is obvious that they would be much better off without their religion (e.g. Witnesses).

I also will admit that I definitely do not know everything. I've been wrong before, so I could be wrong now. Do your best to convince me that I've missed something. I would really like to believe in an afterlife again.

pseudo

Edited by - pseudoxristos on 8 December 2002 6:39:36

• logical
    logical

* The Word of God is the source of true wisdom. It is the wisest book ever written.

The Word of God, as described in John 1:1, John 1:14; Revelation 19:13 is not a book. It is a person; Christ.

• gumby
    gumby

As far as biblical scientific errors, I have seen none.

How about the story of the guy who put all those animals on a boat then populated the earth with them for the next 4000 years?

• gumby
    gumby

The Word of God, as described in John 1:1, John 1:14; Revelation 19:13 is not a book. It is a person; Christ.

The word or "logos" was a word the Christians got from the pagans. It was the offspring or spokesperson of a God.

Jesus was not thought of as "a person" except by the literalist Christians. He was a Mystical meaning" He was a Mythical figure by the gnostics FIRST, then personifies as a real historical person by the literalist who influenced the rulers and overpowered the others who were labeled "heretics".

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gumby

In other words, you state that 'jesus' is the result of a myth that was concretised later on? Is there a label for this theory, or sources for info on it? I'ld like to check it out. Thanks.

SS

• sunstarr
    sunstarr

Im not sure how finding fault with Darwins work, is going to prove the Bible is true. Disbelief in the Bible does not require belief in evolution. Point out as many absurdities as you want, Darwin's work is not considered inspired.

Pseudo,

Again, my point was directed at those who ascribe to the theories of Darwin and who also claim to be Atheists. I never suggested that disbelief in the bible necessitates belief in evolution. Many hold Darwin's theories to be true. Simply put, the idea of primordial life that spawned all organic creatures is as ridiculous to me as a talking snake is to you. Further, it's not about inspiration. It's about a belief system. That was really my entire line of reasoning. Since you have stated that you respect those who are happy with their religion, then I have no argument with you. I appreciate that respect, and I will most certainly return it. I merely get tired of those who immediately jump on believers and feel the need to point out supposed "ignorance" among those of us that have faith. I just think the road goes both ways, and we'd be better off not being so critical. You appear not to be so critical, and so I commend you for your acceptance and open-mindedness.

Gumby,

How about the story of the guy who put all those animals on a boat then populated the earth with them for the next 4000 years?
    That's it? That's your grand proof of scientific error in the bible? Well, I'm convinced.
  • gumby
    gumby

SS,

Was the idea of a LITERAL messiah, a historical person made up in the minds of men?

Is it possible this man never existed?

I'll recommend a book that has all the documents and sources from which this information comes from. The book is called "The Jesus Mysteries". This is one book of MANY books that will verify what EXACTLY was the historical SETTING when Christianity arose.

When you learn of what the gnostics believed about Jesus, and how the "literalist" imposed a contrary belief, and see how the literalist COPIED an existing belif.....you will be impressed.

It also documents other writers of that time who told their opinions of those Christians who " literalized " Jesus.

There is much on this subject that by far MOST are not familiar with.

• donkey
    donkey

One needs only to look at the crazy believers on this thread to realize that belief in God is a mental illness (or mental delusion):

I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene, And wonder how He could love me, A sinner condemned, unclean.
    How marvelous! how wonderful! And my song shall ever be: Oh how marvelous! Oh how wonderful, Is my Savior's love for me!
    For me it was in the garden, He prayed, "Not my will but thine;" He had no tears for His own griefs but sweat-drops of blood for mine.
    He took my sins and my sorrows, He made them His very own; He bore the burden to Calv'ry, And suffered and died alone.
    When with the ransomed in glory His face I at last shall see, 'Twill be my joy thru the ages to sing of His love for me.
    How marvelous! how wonderful! And my song shall ever be: Oh how marvelous! Oh how wonderful, Is my Savior's love for me!

Donkey: Is God omnipotent?
    Believer: Oh yes he is, praise the Lord!!

Donkey: Did he come to earth as a fleshly man?
    Believer: Oh yes he did do that, praise be to God in heaven!!

Donkey: Did he sacrifice himself for us?
    Believer: Oh yes he was the ultimate sacrifice, I love you so much Lord Jesus!!

Donkey: Who was Jesus sacrificing himself to?
    Believer: To God in the heavens of course, praise you Father!!

Donkey: Why was Jesus sacrificed?
    Believer: So that we might be saved, praise the Lord!!

Donkey: Saved from whom?
    Believer: So that we might be saved from the warth of the Almighty. I am so thankful that you loved me, Jesus!!!

Donkey: So let me get this straight then. I should be eternally thankful to an omnipotent god who became flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself, so that I as his creation his creations might escape the wrath of himself?Believer: Why do you twist my words like that? Forgive them Lord Jesus they do not know you like I do!!!

Donkey: Oh I apologize then. But since you feel compelled to preach the word of God just as the spirit compels you to then help me understand which part of what you are saying I misunderstood...

Final ThoughtIf you took out the word God in the speech of the everyday believer and substituted it with the "Green Gnome" and believers were seen praying to and praising and killing others in the name of the "Green Gnome" they would be immediately labelled as insane by all of society. But by using the word God instead (God is no more provable than the Green Gnome by the way) it is perfectly acceptable and even behaviour which is lauded by society. We have a long way to evolve emotionally as a species indeed

Even Balaam need to be guided by an ASS

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Donkey,

If you also read up on how the "holy book" was handed down to us you would have even less confidance in it. I have posted here about the developement of the New Testament.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit