What's your favorite Xmas carol?

by Scully 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Scully,

Without a doubt it's "Sleigh Ride" for me. It doesn't even mention Christmas nor anything related to it but it is always and only played a ChristmasTime. It was written in 1948 by Leroy Anderson and I have his personal arrangement for the piano. I play it and will put it up for all to hear (including my ex-JW enemies and even dubs who are by nature my enemies, since it is not about "Christmas" per se) as soon as I can get my software and keyboard to speak to each other.

Farkel

• gumby
    gumby

Farkmeister,

I would love to hear your piano playing. When and if it works......I'll want to know how you do this. Perhaps I can sing a tune for others to hear also.

I liked "Jingle Bell Rock "as a dub for the same reason as sleigh ride.....it wasn't about Christmas......it was about winter. However......I could give a shit now what it's about.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Not sure how this song goes, but it says,,,"have yourself a merry little christmas,, sounds like Judy Garland maybe??

I love the song "I'll be home for Xmas", Jon Bon Jovi singing it.

"chestnuts roasting on an open fire.........." Nat King Cole?

I have no idea the words to most of these songs, but tidbits, and not sure who the singers are, many sing them I am sure.

• Scully
    Scully

Farkel!

I would love to hear you play "Sleigh Ride". I'd never thought of it as a Christmas carol per se, because - as you said - it doesn't mention Christmas. It was, along with "Winter Wonderland", one of the very few "seasonal songs" we were allowed to learn as dub-kids.

I also just remembered that I've always liked "Silver Bells" too. I once had an argument with the school principal when I was in Grade 4 because she insisted that it didn't mention "Christmas" and that it would be a shame if I couldn't sing such a pretty song. (She wanted me to do a solo at the Christmas concert... what nerve!!..... imagine!! ) So, like a good little dub-kid, I searched through the lyrics and showed her exactly where it said "Christmas". Jehovah "saved" me from performing that song in front of an audience.

Love, Scully

• Beans
    Beans

It's` by Vivamus, and it goes like this........

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.
    Oh what fun it is to ride, in a wild beast apostate sleigh.

Beans

• apple829
    apple829

Hi happyout and welcome!

"This Christmas" is my favorite, too (Donny Hathaway's version). I also like "White Christmas" (The Platters version) and Feliz Navidad.

Sherryl

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

It's gotta be Good King Wenselslaus (sp?) and a close second favorite is What Child Is This? (Greensleeves tune)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit