Snitchers?

by Brumm 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Brumm
    Brumm

I read a few apostate books during my research as a JW...after confessing in private to a best friend that I'd read them I got snitched on and they ran and told the elders....prats! This led to a judicial and a 6 month probation, wasnt allowed to do carpark duty (sobs) or michrophone duty (baawl) for 6 months nor could I answer up at meetings which led to tongue wagging, could go on doors though... a bit strict huh.

Also know of a 6 year old who handed in her dad for speaking to apostates!

Was you snitched on? Or did you snitch on someone else...come on fess up? did you do probation?

Brummie

waiting for someone to tell me this has all been discussed before

• blondie
    blondie

Brummie, that's an old term "probation." They haven't used that for some 20 years. The term was used for people who had done something they could be DF'd for but were found "repentant" by the judicial committee. They were then put on "probation" where there had to be no repeat of that sin or another DFing sin for a year. Then it was announced they were off probation.

Nowadays, if there is proof that a baptized JW has committed a DFing offense, an official judicial committee meets with them. If the elders prove the person guilty or the person confesses, then if the elders feel they are repentant they will be privately or publicly reproved supposedly determined on the notoriety of the situation. Then an announcement is made privately to the onlookers or publicly and if any restrictions (the carpark and microphone privileges you mentioned are such things) have been levied.

There is no limbo period of probation hanging over your head. You are either in or out nowdays.

Blondie (who has been treated as if DF'd when active, attending all the meetings and having a "full share" in the field ministry)

• Been there
    Been there

This has all been discussed before.

• Brumm
    Brumm

Laughing at Been there!

Blondie thats interesting, I was put on probation way less than 20 years ago. Perhaps our Cong was way behind the times.

If the elders prove the person guilty or the person confesses, then if the elders feel they are repentant they will be privately or publicly reproved supposedly determined on the notoriety of the situation. Then an announcement is made privately to the onlookers or publicly and if any restrictions (the carpark and microphone privileges you mentioned are such things) have been levied.

All this was practised even when I was put on probation, I knew people privately reproved, sat in someones judicial who was reproved...etc so this was practiced along side probation.

Would be interested to know if they have discarded the probationary thing now though.

Brummie

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Brumm,

I'm not a witness and I don't snitch period. It is sad how hungry the jw's in my little circle were for someone they could trust. Someone who would listen to them and give free advice without having to wonder if they should kill them after telling them their thoughts. It was amazing how after doing that they were so quick to turn on other people who are just starving like they were. But I know this is just a part of the cult cycle of abuse. And it goes round and round until someone on it decides to break it.

Otherwise, wack!!! THANK YOU MADAM MAY I HAVE ANOTHER wack!!! THANK YOU MADAM MAY I HAVE ANOTHER wack!!!......

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Also know of a 6 year old who handed in her dad for speaking to apostates!

unbelievable. and sad that the party (oops, wts) can breach familial bonds that way.

http://www.gerenser.com/1984/quote.html

(signing off before i use all my posts for the day)

• Brummie
    Brummie

Iwasyoung- thanks for your thoughts, very sad and very true...cult abuse!

Incense_thats a great URL, thanks, I've put it on Fav's!

Brummie

• blondie
    blondie

It must have been around 1973 that the procedure of announced/unannounced probation was replaced with private and public reproof.

*** km 3/75 4 Question Box ***

Are repentant wrongdoers "placed" or "put on" public or private reproof as if placed on probation?

No. A reproof is a congregational expression of disapproval occasioned by a serious wrongdoing that could have led to the disfellowshiping of one of its baptized members if he had been unrepentant. (1 Tim. 5:20: Titus 1:10-13) Once that expression of disapproval is made, the reproof is complete. The individual does not enter a period of continued reprimand and so is not under reproof, "put on probation" as it were.

Why, then, are restrictions in effect? Serious sin committed by a member of the congregation manifests spiritual weakness on his part. As a person who is physically ill may be restricted from eating certain foods or from engaging in certain activities until his condition shows marked improvement, so a person who is spiritually weak may be relieved of certain responsibilities in the congregation until there is evidence of his regaining spiritual strength. The restrictions are to a large extent intended to help the repentant wrongdoer recover from spiritual weakness and to impress upon him the importance of respecting Gods holiness.Gal. 6:7-9; see or, p. 167.

If a brother who has recently been reproved moves to another congregation, it is advisable to inform the elders of that congregation as to any restrictions that may be in effect. This will enable the elders in his new congregation to continue supervising the restoration of his privileges and to aid him toward full spiritual recovery. Of course, no announcement of such previous reproof is made in the new congregation. At all times elders should imitate the merciful way in which Jehovah dealt with his people even when discipline was needed.Isa. 63:7-9.

*** km 5/73 8 Question Box ***

When a person is given either a private or a public reproof for unchristian conduct, are terms or requirements then imposed that the individual must comply with?

No, neither one privately reproved by the judicial committee nor one publicly reproved is given certain terms to comply with (as if he were on a form of "probation").

It is simply required that he conduct himself in harmony with Bible principles, as the others in the congregation do. The judicial committee may strongly recommend that the individual discontinue certain habits or associations that could lead to repetition of the wrongdoing, and, in accord with the individuals needs, will give spiritual assistance and encouragement.

When there has been serious wrongdoing, even though the reproof is not announced,

any weight of responsibility in the way of special assignments in the congregation would be removed from the individual. ("or," p. 167 ) When one is publicly reproved, the congregation would be advised as to what privileges have been removed. ("or," p. 169) When the individual gives evidence of regaining his spiritual strength and stability, privileges can be gradually restored. The same applies when a disfellowshipped person is reinstated. ("or," p. 177)

If one who, for serious wrongdoing, was given either a private or a public reproof moves to another congregation before privileges have been fully restored to him, the judicial committee of the congregation to which he moves will determine when the gradual restoration of privileges may fittingly be made. ("or," pp. 169, 170) Any further serious violation of Gods Word, of course, would be handled by the judicial committee where the individual now associates.

*** w72 2/15 126 Questions from Readers ***

May a person who has completed a period of unannounced probation be recommended for appointment as a ministerial servant?

Regarding ministerial servants 1 Timothy 3:10 says: "Let these be tested as to fitness first, then let them serve as ministers, as they are free from accusation."

An individuals having concluded a stipulated probation period for wrongdoing does not of itself imply that he is "free from accusation." It is not wise to entrust responsibility to such a person too soon. (1 Tim. 5:22) Enough time should have passed for him to establish that he has completely recovered himself from the weakness that was manifested in his wrong act or course. Over a sufficient period of time after the completion of the probation period he should have proved himself to be devoted to righteousness and as having genuine love for Jehovah and for his people. Others should be able to view him as a fine example in Christian conduct. So if he has really built up a fine reputation since completing his probation period, consideration could be given to recommending him to become, not an elder, but first a ministerial servant.

*** w71 11/15 697 A "Body of Elders" with Rotating Chairmanship ***

As the lecture on "Theocratic Organization" pointed out, when a person becomes an "older man" or elder appointed by the governing body, that appointment stays in force, not terminating after just a year. Of course, he would not continue in the position of elder if he was placed on probation or was disfellowshiped from the congregation. In such an event , he would lose that fine position of being a shepherd of the flock of God.

*** w67 2/15 127 Avoid the Snare of "Saving Face" ***

A man who takes some false step before he is aware of it does not fall into the class of such incorrigible sinners. However, there may be occasions, due to the seriousness of the sin, when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance, as a helpful, corrective measure . Such probation is not to be viewed as some adverse judgment, something destructive of ones "honor," a penalty to be bucked against. Rather, it is a loving provision affording him opportunity to prove the sincerity of his repentance and at the same time to help the repentant sinner recover his spirituality and to make him strong again. Kindly counsel given during the probationary period will build the person up so that he will not make a practice of sin. Rather than try to "save face" by protesting a probation, and getting others involved emotionally, one who has committed a sin should welcome this loving arrangement leading to his recovery.

*** w66 9/1 542 A Provision for Spiritual Help in Times of Need ***

If the wrong committed was not a public scandal, but serious enough to require discipline, then the erring one can be placed on a probation that is not announced to the congregation. During this time, usually one year, he should be given regular spiritual assistance to overcome his difficulty. Then the probation is lifted, again without announcement to the congregation. What a loving provision of God for truly repentant ones who fall into serious wrongdoing!

If the sin was grievous and a public scandal, then where mercy is shown, a probation period is again imposed, but this time it is announced to the congregation. Yet in this case, as in an unannounced probation, there is a loving effort to help the erring one.

Blondie

• avishai
    avishai

I've been snitched on mult. times, & been threatened w/ da for not snitching on others. I've even been called on the carpet because a non-jw who was working at a quick build( His dad had custody, so he rarely was exposed to jw, & was a major druggie besides ) LIED about me to impress a girl, & the F$@KHEAD elders would'nt tell me who said anything as per matthew 18, o I said fine, if you won't follow the bible, I'm done w/ this meeting, bye! They were livid, but so did'nt want to say who narced as it was obvious that he was a pretty unreliable source, that they let it drop.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Such probation is not to be viewed as some adverse judgment, something destructive of ones "honor," a penalty to be bucked against

That is bull! While on probation you are not allowed to answer up at meetings even book study so JWs soon catch on and it becomes a destructive gossip department in the KH. Ones honor is definately destroyed.

My probation was not announced to anyone, I know others that were put on probation in the 90s. What they write and what they practise seems to be at odds.

Thanks for the research blondie its appreciated.

AV thats a pretty rough experience! Glad they let it drop.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit