I'm so excited!!!

by Vee 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Vee
    Vee

I've just found out that my application for volunteering in Ghana has been accepted!! I can't tell you how much I'm really looking forward to this challenge.

I've recently moved to London in the hope that I would be able to pick up some project work in the 3rd world country. I registered with www.workingabroad.com who fitted out my profile with 80 prospects of NGO's I could apply with, and was successful with applications in Mexico, India and Ghana. I've accepted a position of Teachers Assistant and will also live and work in the orphanage which houses the students taught at the school, and am leaving mid January for about 3months!

I'm telling you all, because unlike my family I hope that you will be excited and happy for me. My impression I get from my immediate family is that I'm just trying to fill the void that has been left by leaving the borg. This in a way is true, because although I do not agree with the volunteer preaching work that I participated in from I was 3-22, I do appreciate that it taught me that volunteering for a cause which you really believe in can be can be very rewarding. Unlike my years of "ministry service" though, I know this is a decision I shall never regret.

I know it will be a tough assignment, but it's so very much what I need and want to do right now. I look forward to being useful, and being able to impart what skills and knowledge I have. On a personal note I'm looking forward to experiencing, embracing and accepting another culture, even the bits that I might not agree with. Having recently left the borg I find myself automatically responding in an ingrained way to the social, moral practices of those around me. This really disturbs me since the main reason I left the borg was because of the Fundamentalist attitude of the dub faith, which raises them up above all others. I will never forget a part in a Public Talk where it was said that with every year the gap between the world and the dubs should be getting greater, as the world sinks lower and lower.

Luv V**

• blondie
    blondie

V**, I'm happy for you. It is good to see other parts of the world and I don't mean on vacation. This way you will see how 3/4 of the world lives not the little cocoons we live in the developed world.

I wish I were young again (but I'd have to talk my husband into it).

Blondie

• Xena
    Xena

YEA VEE! Sounds wonderful!

I hope when my daughter grows up she does something like that too.....would make me very proud to have a daughter who wanted to expand her horizons and at the same time help others!

Keep us posted!

• ugg
    ugg

i am very happy for you!!!! be careful in these different cultures,,,,but take full advantage of the experience.....also,,,it is nice to meet you....try to keep in touch if you can....

• JH
    JH

I'M SO EXCITED, BUT I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT, I'M ABOUT TO LOSE CONTROL, BUT I THINK I LIKE IT. as the song goes. I'm happy for you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It sounds to me like a very exciting thing to do. Everyone needs new experiences, and you have chosen a fantastic one.

Good Luck!! (bet you won't hear your JW family say that to you)

• onacruse
    onacruse

Congrats, V**

And yes, those years of speech training and study discipline do come in handy. One of the few tangible benefits we can walk away with, eh?

Enjoy your time in Africa, and may all go well with you!

Craig

• Vee
    Vee

Thank-you guys..."YOU'RE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST...BETTER THAN ANYONE...ANYONE I'VE EVER MET"...and you know the rest...!!!

Luv V**

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

you sound like a wonderful person to take on this new career, not many people have what it takes to do this. best of luck to you. from Jackie

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I'm exicted for you! You're getting to do what not many are able to. You will not only be helping others but also learning from them.

Enjoy your stay!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit