The Question Of The Day Do You Want Eternal Life?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't believe in the paradise on earth, but I do believe in eternal life after we die. I will leave it in God's hands on what happens then.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The problem some have is distinguishing between everlasting life and eternal life.

Everlasting life can be read as continuous, never ending life. But if you are suffering, physically or emotionally, everlasting life of that sort would be unbearable. Interesting the society often seems to prefer word everlasting as opposed to eternal remember some of the old book/booklet titles.

The true life that Christ spoken about was eternal life in God. There is no doubt that the Bible talks about Jesus being God, you know the old chestnut, John 1:1. The NWT s was a god, seems to be not a very accurate translation, though many Bible commentators indicate that the word God should be taken as an adjective rather than an indication that Jesus was part of a trinity. If we consider ourselves to be Christians, then as we become more like Christ like, we become more like God.

What this means at our death, I am not too sure. I have looked into Buddhism, and may be their views are not as far away from Christ taught as we may think. As individuals, if we strive to be better persons, we become more God-like until we actually become like him and part of him.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Min,

You have been on a roll lately, asking the posting the neatest threads!!

I don't believe our presenat bodies, as they are, so degenerated, could sustain us "forever". I don't like the thought of leaving loved ones behind, but, I've come to appreciate more and more, that we may all have to leave "these" shells in order to take up a better one, that possibly could sustain us for eternity. The way people are holding onto youth now, is still by "artificial" means. By reshaping and reconstructing the body, by transferring organs and tissues. This is not going to really work. Age is something we must face. I don't like growing older, but it is the way of man. Why not accept it gracefully and with honor and respect.

What really gives me comfort is that I know the universal creators do have a plan. I'd like to be living when that plan is made known to us, and so much points to something very special occuring around 2012, that will change this world as we know it. Something beautiful and awe inspiring, and something truly spiritual beyond anything imagined. Hopefully, that would be a wonderful moment, when we all learn the real "truths" that we so much crave and our bodies will be transformed.

Death itself is just that final "letting go". So much of the death that we encounter as we mature is losing loved ones to accidents or illness. When someone has lived a very full life, we expect death to take them, and we'd like it to happen peacefully and comfortably. We prepare as much as we can for that event. But, alas, things do not always occur that way. I have a fear of losing loved ones in death too early--but then, with the shunning and rejection by my parents, I lost them a long time ago.

If I continued living and had a good healthy body, and a well-balanced mentallity, I'd love to live much longer, to see and to learn and to experience this beautiful life, even as it is now. But, with age, comes degeneration of the body, and although we'd like to do things, we find we can no longer move about, or remember, or do the things that make us happy and fulfilled. Our eyes dim and we cannot see. Our ears cannot hear the beauty of nature. We only have memories and dreams to exist on, and that would be so sad I think.

Living eternally comes with responsibilities I think. Perhaps before long, we will each have the opportunity to make that choice.

Edited by - Sentinel on 1 December 2002 18:40:42

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Eternal life, yes, but not here on earth. Adam and Eve must NOT have been THAT impressed with paradise Eden. Had they been, why did they chance on "blowing it"?

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I don't so much hope as assume that I will. I've come to believe that joy is eternal; that survival is eternal; but I'm not so sure about self-concsciousness, self-awareness, or the coherence of the individual soul. It's possible, I think, to scatter oneself eternally throughout the joyous cosmos -- and not even know it.

I could deal with that.

GentlyFeral

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

no. at least not according to the witnesses' version of living forever.

anyway i believe in reincarnation.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

'But just as it is written: "Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him". 1Cor. 2:9

Guest 77

• moman
    moman

The plains Indians (Lakota, I think) said the white men suffered from a, Pathetic hope, & what was that hope?

That they,the whites, thought they would be happy, if they were rich & famous.

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Our Creator is a God of the living, and He desires his children to live forever as He imprinted eternal life in our minds. If you put faith in Jesus Christ, and honor him, the Scriptures assure us everlasting life.

Yes, I would like to live forever in abundance of peace and exquisite delight - its God's gift to His children. How can someone not want life under these perfect conditions?

JOHN 17:17:3:" This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."

Christian Love,

Edited by - AwakenedAndFree on 1 December 2002 19:51:34

• minimus
    minimus

For the record, I don't know if I would want to live forever, but I don't want to die, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit