Reach for God

by donkey 18 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Either there is, or isn't a God. Pretty simple isn't it, really?

The way that I figure it, in simple terms is this. If there is no God, and yet you believe, no harm, no foul.

If there is a God, then you are on His side, and you have the blessings that he will give.

What possible harm is there in believing in Him?

My personal belief goes much further than my example, but that is between God and myself.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

P.S. I am honest with myself...and I don't fear death or non-existence, I couldn't care less.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thomas Berger's novel, Little Big Man, an Indian chief says that such men "believe that everything is dead: stones, earth, animals, and people, even their own people. And if, in spite of that, things persist in trying to live, [they] will rub them out."

SS

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Donkey, let's analyse the epicurian response.Why should "I" fear death ?"I" is he speaking of himself?If I am, death is not.( That's obvious for the time that I am) If death is I am not.(Again that's obvious when the time comes to die) but still that presupposes that there is no life after you die.Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do(Again this is obvious when we are alive death does not exist for us)This is flawed because the epicurean thinks he is wise enough to have the answer or correct thinking about life and death.How does he know while alive what death is when it comes? How does he know that there is no life after death when he has not experienced death yet .To me this is double talk with wisdom .He is stating the facts on the one hand then presupposing on the other.Blueblades

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

S.S.:

Loved the book Little Big Man. Nice quote.

• Zechariah
    Zechariah

Donkey,

I concur with Blueblades that my belief in God has nothing to do with fear. For when one believes as I do that we are guaranteed a everlasting existence in communion with God solely based on faith then there is no reason to fear anything. Our faith casts out all fear.

It is the unbeliever though that has all the reasons to fear. Without belief in the spirit world including ones unseen connection to one another a man is all alone in the world with only himself to depend on.

Surprisingly it is not this that frightens the unbeliever. He has a irrational fear of disappointment. He would rather be totally self reliant than take the risk of being disappointed. It has been correctly said we have nothing to fear but fear itself. The fear of disappointment unbelievers have is a demon force that is intent of robbing us of all joy, hope and security.

So as not to risk disappointment it is better not to believe anything that offers hope and optimism. They cry we must be intellectually honest. We must be realistic. They are really advocating being pessimistic. If you have no expectations of anything good you cannot be disappointed. This gives rise to depression.

As Blueblades expressed but in my words you have to be in it to win it. Without a lottery ticket you are a looser by default. With one you at least have a chance. Knowig I have a ticket in the lottery gives me hope from week to week. I exercise my faith by the vision that someday I'm going to be the big winner. I already see it as a reality that through the supernatural forces enforcing the laws of faith will make that thing hoped for a reality. I know just how I'm going to spend my million. (I'm not telling).

Zechariah

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

The believer would find God if simply asked..... " who is this one that believes?"

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Donkey,

There is a book, "Why Won't God Go Away." Maybe, according to it humans are hardwired to believe.

"So what does God have to offer you?" (Loaded selfish question)

I aspire to better myself. I always want salvation just beyond my reach. I enjoy the journey as much as anything that I have; anything I have ever done.

I heard a prayer once that went like this "Lord help me to live my life in such I way that when I die even the undertaker is sad."

I also live my life so that when I have finished my journey I can look back and have lived enough to be satisfied.

My son has experienced the death of loved ones 5 times in the last 2 years. Twice he saw it happen. Once he saw me do CPR and once he watched me do nothing but hold the hand of a man as he died. His stepgradmother died last month and he and I attended the funeral. He had grown quite scared that I would die and his mother would die and there would be no one to care for him or his sister. He wanted me to promise him that I will never die. I explained to him that everyone dies. But, I plan to be with him everyday that I can and I love him with all my heart. I told him that if I die and Mom dies then he has his uncles and Grandparents that will take care of him and he is going to be OK. I told him that it is up to us to help each other.

Donkey it does not matter what we believe or don't believe. What we do or don't do. We all share the same fate. We all in the end wind up together. I have no illusions about that. But between now and then I plan to touch as many hearts as will listen. Helping is better than hurting. I am never happier than when I am kind and helpful to other people. I know there is evil and pain in this world. I have seen death head on and I wish it was not part of it. But without death life would soon have little meaning. I trust in that the omnipresent force some call God by whatever name. That everything is going to be OK. I accept that because I am not afraid of there not being a tomorrow, in this life or the next.

• meadow77
    meadow77

I think it is funny when people say that people invent God, because they are afraid of death. If there were no God, and you just slep eternally when you died, wouldn't that be easier than believing in God. I mean if you entertain the though of God, than you have to think about the bible, and how he wants you to live your life, and whether you are going to hell or heaven. Who want's to think that they are going to hell? I think it would be much easier to say there is no God,a nd I can live however I want, and when I die, that's it. When you look around you, it's obvious that all of nature's glory did not create itself. That's where the beggining is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit