The Australian: Women to 'Never Rule' in Jehovah's church

by AndersonsInfo 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

d4g... along those same lines is this quote from Christopher Hitchens on poverty and women:

"The cure for poverty has a name, in fact: it's called the empowerment of women. If you give women some control over the rate at which they reproduce, if you give them some say, take them off the animal cycle of reproduction to which nature and some doctrine—religious doctrine condemns them, and then if you'll throw in a handful of seeds perhaps and some credit, the floor of everything in that village, not just poverty, but education, health, and optimism will increase. It doesn't matter; try it in Bangladesh, try it in Bolivia, it works—works all the time. Name me one religion that stands for that, or ever has. Wherever you look in the world and you try to remove the shackles of ignorance and disease stupidity from women, it is invariably the clericy that stands in the way, or in the case of—now, furthermore, if you are going to grant this to Catholic charities, say, which I would hope are doing a lot of work in Africa, if I was a member of a church that had preached that AIDS was not as bad as condoms, I'd be putting some conscience money into Africa too, I must say." --Christopher Hitchens

• done4good
    done4good

Good quote from Hitchens, Heaven.

d4g

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

ToesUp - "I have worked and associated with women that could run circles (intelligence/financially) around these 'men'."

I've always suspected that patriarchal, authoritarian societies muscled their way to the top precisely for this reason; they just couldn't handle that reality.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Women have no vote inside the JW religion. The WTS has been emphasizing in their literature how the JWs are citizens of God's kingdom. If that is the case, then the WT society is way behind the society at large.

Women in Australia led the push for women's rights. Women in Australia gained the right to vote in 1895 even though it took them another 64 years to take a seat of power:

http://womenshistory.net.au/timeline/

21 March 1895
    Votes for women in South Australia
    The proclamation of South Australia’s Suffrage Act, assented to by Queen Victoria on 2 February, gave women an equal right with men to vote, and to stand for election to the Colony’s House of Assembly.
    Women with property could also vote in Legislative Council elections, but women could not stand for the upper House of the parliament until 1959.

JW women don't even get a vote.

It really pissed me off when Spinks made that comment about Native American belief systems. He has no clue about the development of tranditonal beliefs within cultures, and how those cultures have voluntarily, and sometimes forcibly, have evolved in response to Christian migration. He is hopelessly dumb and ignorant.

There are some Aboriginal belief systems that were governed by women and were forced to change to the white patriarchal form of governance that colonized them. There are Native American beliefs that have morphed into quasi Chritsian religions. What about the blend of voodooism and Catholicism in the Haiti and the Dominican Republic?

What about the WTS' very own requirement that those cultures abandon their beliefs if they want to be "citizens of God's kingdom" according to WT precepts?

Aaarrgh...

• steve2
    steve2

In part of the proceedings yesterday (Wednesday August 5th 2015), Vincent Toole, the Australian branch office legal counsel conceded that having women involved in at least part of the elders' formal response to child sexual abuse allegations could be helpful and that is something for the organization to carefully consider. At least he did not collapse the concept of women's involvement into "no leadership role for women" as a previous Watchtower official had done.

Sure, it is so easy to appear agreeable in a public setting and then not change anything - but at least he is on record as agrreing in principle that the existing judicial committee arrangement could potentially re-traumatize victims. But still it feels like blood from stone.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

My question to you Barbara: If the Royal Commission is indeed successful in getting WT brass to change its worldwide (not just in Australia) rules and allow women to join their once 'all-male club' are you up to the task of becoming a member?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OrphanCrow - "Women have no vote inside the JW religion."

Neither do most of the men, for that matter.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    vidiot: OrphanCrow - "Women have no vote inside the JW religion."
    Neither do most of the men, for that matter.

You are right. The men only have a perception of power. Even the elders, the ones who are invested with "spiritual authority", have to phone the Branch office every time they are out of toilet paper.

The JW male power is largely a perceived power - that is why their need for power gets acted out on those who have no power at all - the women and children. Truly powerful men do not have to abuse their power.

The JW male power feeds off those who have none. It has to - the male power is actually a sham. JW men are powerless. JW women and children are even more powerless.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    OrphanCrow: Even the elders, the ones who are invested with "spiritual authority", have to phone the Branch office every time they are out of toilet paper.

• poopie
    poopie
    Heres the instresting thing watchtower uses a women as there expert witness shes not a Jw shes a practicing catholic. NOW there are many women who i would consider experts on Jw teaching but there not used

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit