Long assemblies

by freedom96 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yikes, Makena, you are YOUNG!! I was almost 13 at the 1958 convention in NYC. Eight days was a long one. You have a rich history, don't you??

I was there in 1953 too. And the one in 1969 was 8 days in Vancouver BC, where we went. I was pregnant with Princess at that one. I think there may have been others. The one in Pasadena in 1963 may have been 8 days, but I was forbidden to go to it by my doctor. I was pregnant with my first baby, and barely 18............married, yes.

I remember really enjoying the conventions. My memory is that they started at 1:30 in the afternoon (or close to that time) and ended at 9 that night. You still had to get there early in the day, to get a decent seat. There was a meeting at 9 or 9:30AM for field service. Sunday it started earlier in the day, but got out earlier too. They seemed like long days, when you were taking a family there.

• VM44
    VM44

Long 8-day assemblies were both a showy display and a money maker for the Watchtower. But now it is too expensive to have such long assembies. --VM44

• LB
    LB

Ya have to wonder how many got chased away with those long assemblies. The last year I attended them I seldom made the afternoon session. I would just say I'm going over to the other side to sit with brother what's his name.

• r51785
    r51785

I remember in Pasadena in 1963 there was a Billy Graham crusade nearby at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The dubs took great pride in besting his attendance each day. My favorite memory as a 9 year old was the day we took off to go to Disneyland! I also remember staying at the Huntington Hotel, one of the great old hotels of that day. But the best part was leaving Sunday night before Knorr was done because we had a train to catch!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hey Mulan.& Makena.

I was in NY assy in 1953 also. Only I was 17 a the time. Yikes I am even older.

I recall being so damned tired of the assy talks on the last 2 or 3 days I could not wait to get away.

I lived in San Diego at the time and the drive there and back was enough to wear anyone out. Then 8 days of nonstop drivel.

Outoftheorg

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hello 51785.

I also was at the 1963 assy. I also remember the Billy Graham crusade etc. I also recall getting all of my clothes stolen out of my car. They broke the window and stole all of mine and did not touch my young wifes clothes at all.

How did you happen to end up in the UK? That is a long way from So. California.

As an after thought, it was only 4 yrs. later that this young wife I mentioned, walked off and left me and our 4 young children and wasn't seen for 17 yrs. Marrying in the org doesn't guarantee anything.

Outoftheorg

• avishai
    avishai

I attended an 8 day the same way your daughter did mulan, in utero, 1968. It may even have been vancouver, I'll ask my mom. Yep, I remember them being so long that it was dark at the stadium in oakland when it got over, in june or july. I hated staying so long, I can remember being 3 & 4 years old & it feeling like torture. Really, it was. Expecting a 3 year old to stay quiet & sit still 8-12 hrs.? That's abuse in and of itself.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Your post made me chuckle, avishai. My husband was always great with the kids, and took them out for long walks around the domes, wherever they were. (or stadiums) He would never make them stay awake, if they wanted to sleep, and I didn't either. We brought treats for them, and color books, and ignored the rabid looks by the self righteous dumbies. We were pretty easy parents. We always felt they were hard on us to sit so long, so they must be tired of it too.

• Francois
    Francois

A ONE day assembly was too long. Then I hit puberty and saw all that firm young flesh on the hoof walking around the assembly hall. Man, what a change of heart. I knew I'd heard my very last assembly talk.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

New York in 1958,Pasadina in 1963,I was there..I wasn`t very old,but I remember both assemblies...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 27 November 2002 0:21:28

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit