Eminem and censorship

by Uni girl 67 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Damn TR. You sound like my dad......is your first name Mark? My dad doesn't even have a computer....i didn't think he'd be able to post things....could it be?

"No cool quote yet. But i'll think of one soon."

P.S. I'd be much obliged if you spared my life. I'm no gangsta', but i do enjoy rap. Don't hurt me.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Tr!!

Jus a little 'aside' here,since you mentioned those droopy pants and jail. That style got started from jail. (so I'm told,by gang members in my area when I asked)) In jail,you're not allowed to wear belts,so the gangs walked around w/ droopy drawers,they brought that out into the street with them,,,,,,,shakin head here,cheers,Tina :>

• JanH
    JanH
    My 2 cents,
    and that's probably all it worth;

...and I could give you change on it, even. I don't think lyrical criticism from the guy writing that sentence counts for much. I'll give you that.

- Jan
    --
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen"
    -- Albert Einstein

• JanH
    JanH
    I was afraid someone would call me on that, lol. OK, I don't have data to back it up, but you know if I go looking I will find it. Besides, just because I simply asserted it doesn't mean that it isn't a fact.

Right. It isn't a fact, not because you asserted it, but because it is untrue. I think it may be possible that something is true despite you believing it

This happened to be something I checked out quite extensively some time ago, as I was discussing these issues with scholars who study media and pedagogics. The conclusions: Children can, from a very early date, clearly distinguish fact from fantasy, and make quite good value calls based the reality of both. Long time before they can come close to understanding Eminem lyrics, at any rate. Parents sometimes think this is not the case, since children have a very active imagination, but they almost always know the difference.

The exception to this rule is children who suffer from what was called MBD. This is, as I understand, a grab bag for some different behavorial problems in some children, that also may hamper socializing and adapting to society generally. Such children can e.g. take a Tom & Jerry cartoon seriously. They are also sure to increase the workload of parents and teachers considerably.

Whatever parents may do to limit what their children are exposed to, is of course up to them. I doubt anyone would argue a totally uncensored environment is suitable for underage children. Yet, I still hope that nobody will seriously argue that the adult world be censored to a degree that nothing but material suitable for young children is available to anyone.

- Jan
    --
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen"
    -- Albert Einstein

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Children can, from a very early date, clearly distinguish fact from fantasy

I won't argue that.

The problem is that music is not presented (or viewed, by most anyone I know) as fantasy. It seems to me that music is the closest many people ever get to philosophy.

W/o getting into the nature vs. nurture discussion too deeply,
    children are products of the influences that touch their lives in their formative years. Look around, you'll see that. I am also quite aware that the 14 thru 18 year range are VERY formative years. I see it as plainly as the data from any study trying to prove any theory.

We have to raise our children in the real gooey messy world, not the cold sterile environment of scholars who study media and pedagogics. And many of those kids are raised in warm, loving, accepting environments where hate music can be a mild rebellion and "just be good for the beat".

I don't worry about those kids too much. Unfortunately, those kids are not the majority.

Ps. TR, chill man, you're going to pop a vein. It's just another way to play with words and music. You sound like a GB member who was overly influenced by doing research on hate music!

• mommy
    mommy

Tina,
    ROFLOL, so that is why they do it I never could understand why they let their pants hang down to their knees. Thanks for the info.
    wendy

• TR
    TR

dorky,

I AM your dad! Quit listening to that (c)rap!

Six,

I'd rather be a GB member than listen to (c)rap. BTW, I'm a hard rocker, so I don't think I'd make the GB grade.

TR

• riz
    riz

TR,

damn. i just about fell out of my chair laughing at your earlier rant. that was classic. whew. those knobs in the damn low riders irritate me too. i don't mind most rap myself, but if i was ever to be seen in one of those damn low riders i would hope someone would administer a proper beating.

rizzy in da hizza
    (sorry. had to be done )

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Believe it or not some of the rhyming schemes in Eminem's songs are rather complex. I bet your father thought the Beatles were "crap" too. Nice to see history repeats itself. Hate Eminem all you want, but don't make your wide brush strokes of opinion until you know what you are talking about. YOu people are so conditioned by the media it can't be anything else but amusing. Open your eyes, open your ears, and leave your judging back in the watchtower where you (supposedly) left it.

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

You know I have read these posts with interest !! what a fire I started.

You know I love Bob Dylan and he spoke of societies ills and in a quite forthright manner. He accessed the audience by speaking their language. Eminem is the same. Do you think he did it as a volunteer or is he living comfortably?? the track 'Kids' enables a good debate on drugs with my kids.
    Eminem makes quite a point when he says
    ' they blame it on Marilyn..but where were the parents at??'
    Perhaps America is not ready for rap music, perhaps they are still uncomfortable about the rage against injustice. They hunted NWA down, Hounded Tupac and they have now set there sights on Eminem and Marilyn Mansun. If parents bring there kids up to respect people and allow their children to have a voice, they will discern right and wrong. What causes problems is when you shut the lines of communication...music with a difficult message allows discussion as it has done with me and my son. Eminem is no different to all the ones that have gone before him, those who have been radical.
    If Eminem is homophobic then why did Elton John show support for him,,,why did Madonna??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit