Grandparents

by Granny Linda 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Happy Holiday, everyone.

I just wanted to say that being a grandparent is one of the greatest joy's. I know there are other grandparents posting on this board who are proud of their offspring, too.

Gosh, for all those lost years of having been raised JW - not really getting to know my maternal grandparents except through the eyes of an emotional JW. Sheeezzzzz. Anyhow.....

Being a grandparent, especially one who has been released from the mental enslavement of that religion, we have a great responsibility and can experience one of the world's greatest wonders; our grandchildren.

I love being a grandmother, can ya tell.

granny

• Scully
    Scully

How many grandchildren do you have Granny Linda?? What are their ages?? Boys or girls?? I'm not old enough to be a grandma yet.... I'm still working on my own children.... but maybe in 10 years or so.....

Since I work with newborns at the hospital, I'm getting lots of practice though!!

Love, Scully

• Brummie
    Brummie

Congrats

Glad you wont have to give the baby the conditonal love the WT expected all family to give.

Brummie

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Having a grandmother is great. Enjoy being one to your grandchildren Linda. I will always think back on mine, she was a wonderful person and had a huge impact on my life.

Love them, be there for them unconditionally, it's one of the greatest gifts you can give them.

• LB
    LB

None of my grandchildren are house broken yet, so they aren't as joyful as one could hope. They are cute, have great smiles and get excited when I walk in a room. So that's fun. But I'm more anxious for them to grow up some, get house broken and talk to me, in english.

• els
    els

I don't have grandchildren yet...hopefully not too soon but not too long either. This thread did make me think about my grandmother though. She was not a witness but she did live with us most of the time when I was a teenager. She would not go to the hall with us, she always had someone from her church pick her up. I loved that! She was living with us when my husband Ken and I started going out. When we were engaged he used to play his guitar and sing with her. She thought he was wonderful.
    There was one time when Ken was sitting at the island in our kitchen and I was standing in front of him, kind of between his legs with his arms around me. My mother was giving me dirty looks and my little tiny grandma piped up and said "Oh leave them alone, they're just spooning." LOL I loved her so much. I could talk to her about things without having to bring the "truth" into it.
    I remember how delighted she was at our wedding. She was sitting with the "wordly" relatives and they were being mostly ignored by the congregation. Ken had a tape of old songs that she loved. I didn't know he had it till he put it in the sound system then walked across the room and asked her to dance. Ken is 6'6" and my grandma was all of 5' but they were wonderful. I will never forget how her eyes sparkled.
    OK, I'm getting sappy now, I'll stop. I just hope I can be as good of a grandmother as she was when my turn comes. I plan to be. els

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

My oldest, a girl, will turn 7 on the 29th of November. She is in first grade. The middle child, a boy, will be 5 in April, and then there's our little girl, and last, who will be 2 in January. Thanks for asking.

els, I loved the story about your grandmother. And that's how I wish to be remembered. With love and kindness and a sparkle in my eye because the grandchildren are not afraid to express their love...and it's not some sort of perverted sin in accepting love in turn.

My usual mantra is gratitude, rightly so, too.

I was able to begin piecing together a relationship with my son moreso after he became the parent. OMG, at least there is humor in understanding the old addage of "wait until you have children of your own." On one of our last visits, my son and I were laughing about that cartoon "Family Circus" and how he'd come to understand the humor with having 3 kids. Ah, life is grand.

Yeah, speaking english. hahahaha. No kidding.

granny

• jaded
    jaded

Hi Granny, another proud grandparent here. My first grandchild is four months old. Hubby and I absolutely adore her! Everyday I regret having raised my kids as JW's. Fortunately they saw the cult for what it is and were never baptized. I feel like I have a second chance with my precious granddaughter. We will put up a tree this year and enjoy the things that we missed out on with our own children. Grandchildren are truly wonderful!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Linda, I couldn't agree more. I love being Grandpa even more than I did Dad!

I have two grandsons, 1 and 4. Just like my own daughters, they are so different, yet alike.

I'm constantly reminded of the adage, "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your own."

If you love and adore yours half as much as I do mine, they will receive more love than they know how to handle.

Lew W (of the proud Grandpa class)

• proandcon
    proandcon

I'm a grandpa of 4 including twins...I love every second of being with them and watching their personalities grow and their minds expand...it is truly a gift...and we get to have an active and positive (I hope) part...I also can really appreciate the "yogism"

...if I knew having grandkids was so great, I would've had then first !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit