Why be so nice to religion?

by IronGland 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

ANY kind of religion. Or just the whole thing about God and religion. My dad tells me that. Don't confuse God and religion, as if God is actually telling people things and religion is just messing it up. In my view there is no difference. Religious people are the only one's claiming to have any info about God. Maybe there is a God, but as far as I can tell he's never said a thing to anyone or made his presence known in any way, so for all practical purposes they are inseperable.

• Monster
    Monster

Hey Iron, excellent question.

I feel that it's just in humans to think that anyone who says he/she is for god, or living for god has higher morals standards than the rest of us, we want to see all good in these people, we want to believe they are the next best thing to Jesus christ in a corrupt world. When I see the injustice caused by religion I too wonder why we treat them so special. I think religions are one of the most dangerous ,corrupt organizations in the world today. I am so sick of the bloodshed and misuse of power and trust we have placed in them,it's time now for them to pay the piper.

Peace James.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    Maybe there is a God, but as far as I can tell he's never said a thing to anyone or made his presence known in any way, so for all practical purposes they are inseperable.

Good point. Each person creates god in his own image. That way he can have just the god he wants. Some like him warpped in religion, other like him without organized religion, but they're all pretty religious.

BTW, are you a member of FFRF? Did you go to the convention this year. I missed it, darn!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Maybe there is a God, but as far as I can tell he's never said a thing to anyone or made his presence known in any way, so for all practical purposes they are inseperable.

I take it you mean "never said a thing to YOU, or made His presence felt to YOU"

Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 26 November 2002 2:19:39

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

God is nothing but a hallucination in the mind of those who want to believe in something greater than themselves to explain things they have no answer for.

If by some nonexistent (wonder what I believe? ) chance he did exist, then he is nothing more than an absentee landlord.

When was the last time he caused miracles or spoke from the heavens like he did in that book of fairy tales called the Bible? He hasn't.

Or.. if he DID speak to someone as Ozzie so eloquently pointed out, then why does he intervene or speak on some people's behalf, but then turn around and sit by idly while allowing innocent people to die and children to be raped?

Look at verifiable fact.

God has shown no sign that he exists. Science day by day grows more capable by demonstrating modern medicine which restores hearing, eyesight, cures disease, and now we are even on the verge of artificial life, created by man.

All God has going for him are religious zealots whose entire ideology is based on faith, or things unseen and unproven.

Just my opinion.

IronGland, your my kind of poster. Sounds like we have alot of things in common.

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 26 November 2002 2:34:3

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Iron, I don't know if it is a USA thing or specifically a post-9/11 thing...but with all the sensitivity about muslims and wars etc...it seems that on MB's especially (or at least the couple I visit apart from this one) it is strictly a "no go zone" to talk about religion. It is like everyone is paranoid about religion and offending someone (I say work it out as you go, but that doesn't seem to be how it gets done) and so noone talks about god/religion/politics.

I would be cautious in paying "blind" respect to any organisation, religious or other, trust and respect in my book, has to be earned.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Yeah, Ozzie that is what I meant. Are you saying he's made his presence known to you in some way? Was in some way more substantial than a warm fuzzy feeling?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit