Why be so nice to religion?

by IronGland 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

It seems to me that in the U.S. most anything religious is always considered a good thing. Nearly all media go out of their way for religious organizations in ways they rarely would for anything else. For all the religion bashing whining that the christians do in this country, I rarely see anything in public that bashes religion any more than anything or anyone else.

Here's an example I personally had:

A religious friend asked me to loan my really good camping gear his minister (who I did not know at all) for a trip. His comment to me was "Don't worry, he's a minister so you'll get it all back." I assume this means that if his friend were a plumber or bus driver he couldn't offer this guarantee?

A lot of religious organization seem to attract pedophiles and others who take advantage of their position in church youth groups to seek out victims. In many instances the church tries to cover up the abuses, yet it seems even these cases can't tarnish the "religious = good, proper and wonderful" mentality of the masses.

There are tons of other examples, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Personally, I always love the "Black Collar Crimes" section of Freethought Today. They're about the only newspaper that prints clergy crimes.

Is this the case in other countries, or is this an American trait?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think the "trusting" of religious people is found world wide. By having religious values, one assumes that perhaps they are better than others.

I would say there is a good percentage of religious people that are good, honest people. Probably statistically better than those who have no religious background. I would probably be like most people and trust the minister before I trusted a gang banger that just got out of jail.

That being said though, there are people that should not be trusted, regardless of religious background.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Something that is very American is TV evangelists. Now I wouldn't trust one of them with my money or my life.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Ballistic-

I agree completely. Many of those guys are idiots.

The only one that I would say is an exception is Robert Schueller, based in Southern California. He has the Crystal Cathederal which is known world wide.

He has written several positive thinking based books, and from everything I have seen, and knowing people that know him, he seems to be an exceptional man.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Very good point, Iron! And I love the icon!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Q: Why be so nice to religion?

A: Just in case.

(Just in case there really is a God! hehe)

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Religion has nothing to do with God,,,or should i say God has nothing to do with religion.

• IronGland
    IronGland

I agree Ruby. However I've never known a non-religious person to have any contact with deities.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

What I wanna know IronGland, is if you loaned this guy the camping gear. And if you did, did you get it back? Inquiring Land Mines wanna know.

CG

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

You are right IronGland....I should have said ORGANIZED religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit