get out of her MY people !

by KAYTEE 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Rev 18:4 warns us to "get out of her MY people.......",

If we are/were His people, we would have got out of Babylon the Great before entering the ranks of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The question is - why is He saying MY People, Who are the " MY PEOPLE" that he is talking to and where are such ones to "get out from" ?

Kaytee

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well this is a scripture oft quoted as the excuse for forming a seperate sect.

Who are "my people?" Anyone who heeds the clarion call and joins the sect of course. If they join the sect, well, of course they are getting out of "her", Babylon the great. The whole thing is a spiritual calling by God, his "sheep" hear his voice. Who are His "Sheep"? Anyone who signs up and joins the sect of course.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If we are/were His people, we would have got out of Babylon the Great before entering the ranks of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Well, before a renewed life as a christian anyway. Babylon represents possession/ownership - mine/yours, and the life of being that way.

In His people he will destroy this name. " I will destroy the name of Babylon, and the remains, and the bud, and the offspring." [Is 14.22] The name of ownership and the remains (mine/yours), the bud (the temptation), and the offspring (desires).

So get out of her - happy are they who can say with Peter " Behold, we have left all things"

paduan

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

"Get out of her my people" .... or wear a condom...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The problem here is that it's based on the premise that Babylon the Great pictures/prefigures/typifies false religion. But does it? That's not the general opinion of Bible commentators.

What does it mean? Can anyone say for sure? Revelation, being apocalyptic, is full of imagery. Apparently the author, John, was not aware of what it all "pictured" and he wrote that he was told to "shut up the book".

There are many, many very interesting and scholarly books on this Bible book. I've started on a commentary from "The Bible Speaks Today" series.

Cheers, Ozzie

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Thanks everyone - All of your comments are appreciated.

Ozzie - I didn't realise until you worded your comments the way you did, just how brain-washed I still am, eventhough having come out of the witnesses ! Obviously more research on Babylon the Great is needed.

I haven't heard of "The bible speaks today" series, is it on the net or is it a book ?

kind regards to you and Mrs Oz.

KT

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day KT,

Just arisen from our nite's slumbers and saw your post.

I was referring to a book published by Inter-Varsity Press (i.e. English) in
    The Bible Speaks Today" series. Its ISBN is 0-85110-964-0.

Mrs Ozzie and I have most of the series; there's one volume for each Bible book.

Another good series of Bible commentaries that I have found some ministers use is published by Tyndall.

We'd heartily recommend to you that you obtain some good Bible commentaries to explore the real understanding of Bible history/teachings.

Also it'd be good to locate a good Bible book shop. We early in our walk to freedom located an excellent store up in Sydney called Koorong. It amazed us just how many people were there; it was packed! Also the size of the store; it's huge! It really showed us just how wrong we'd been in thinking that only the dubs had access to good Bible teaching. It also showed us that there is a real thirst (and appreciation) for Bible knowledge.

Enjoy your read! Warm regards to you both.

Cheers, Ozzie

• rocky220
    rocky220

Strangely enough I remember [when I was a JW] practically every meeting hammered on in some way or another that any religion [not JW] was a part of Babylon the Great...and oh how elders at the KH loved to bash Catholics and the Vatican...blah blah blah. The irony is WBTS is no different! Thanks to the Internet, which I truly believe is turning out to be WT's nemesis, has exposed all kinds of contradictions, comparisons leading to assertion of WT's false profecies, War Technology investments, UN/ NGO involvement, Tax problems in France, and most of all the shabby way Bethelites and other sacrificed workers are treated, and that's the tip of the iceberg folks!!!!!!

Babylon the Great is as Babylon the Great does...Don't you think?????

rocky220 [of the sometime you just get to get down!, class]

• Carmel
    Carmel

Must refer to "Religio-coital interuptus".

caveman

• archangel01
    archangel01

Hello everyone I'm New

anyway revelation is a really deep book. When John was shown all these things from ARE TIME he didn't know what to make of are high tech world. So he used things in HIS TIME period to Identify things in ARE TIME period. Makes sense doesn't it. Plus John saw a great crowd of people not a crowd of JW's. There are people who are in mental hos. etc who are very sick and I don't think Yahwah/Jehovah would kill them that would be unjust. Yahshua/Jesus is the only way back to Yahweh so I believe that if a person follows the teachings of Yahshua and really sticks to it the best they can, why wouldn't Yahweh save that people? Plus john talks about the end of religon as a whole, Because the NEW SYSTEM is a new order on earth from Yahwah using his son Yahshua to carry it all out. So the real truth and light will be in the NEW SYSTEM. We kind of have an Idea now be not 100%. JWs never talk about the black race because if everything is to go back to the way before the fall then dark skin and kninky hair will be done away with. So God thur Jesus is going to change Black people to White aka Hebrew. Its just a thought thats all. archangel01

Edited by - archangel01 on 1 December 2002 7:39:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit