Things that go bump in the night

by BB 17 Replies latest jw friends

• BB
    BB

My wife hit a deer while driving her new VW Passat with less than 300 miles on it. Thats the car with the 300 miles on it. We dont know how many miles the deer had on it at the time of collision.

Anyway, we just got the Passat out of the shop and it looks good as new, but the deer is still dead along-side the highway.

We have a real problem with the deer population here in Wisconsin. Eighty thousand fewer hunting permits have been issued (than last year) due to the wasting disease affecting the deer population. Plus its mating season.

This means a lot more deer are running out onto the highway, or just peeking in your window late at night.

BB

Edited by - BB on 23 November 2002 10:56:38

• Gopher
    Gopher

BB,

The twilight is another very dangerous time. I live in the Twin Cities, and was driving along Interstate 94 between Hudson and Eau Claire (Wisconsin) once about 20 years ago during the fall, and the sun was setting. Out of nowhere came 2 deer, I swerved to avoid them, but hit the trailing deer (perhaps the offspring). Fortunately there was just minor damage to the underside of my car, but the poor deer! I couldn't have missed it. (I still feel bad all these years later.)

• rocky220
    rocky220

Well, in broad daylight, riding the bus home [I work in Westchester Co.,NY] a deer ran in front of the bus, but the driver hit the breaks and deer just scurried to the other side [whew]. A friend told me that when it's hunting season upstate, deer come further south in populated areas to avoid the hunters, those crafty deer........Oh dear!......rocky220

• Solace
    Solace

BB,

I know exactly what you mean. I live in the Upper Michigan and we have definatly hit our fair share of deer. Looking for those glowing eyes at night isnt the only issue. Deer are sometimes less visible during the day, especially if its snowing.

We took a pic of this deer we saw along side of the road. They are so pretty but overly abundant in our area too.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The deer population must be increasing in many areas. Along Interstate 10 in Florida, the State has built high fences on both sides to prevent deer from coming unto the highway. But the side roads are not so protected. Two of my friends have had heavy damage inflicted unto their vehicles by deer that have smashed into them -- all this within the past two years.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

BB:

I'm in Wisconsin also and boy can I relate!!! I've never hit one but have come really close many times. And when you see one, there is usually another one right behind it too!. I think the highest concentration of deer I ever saw was on a trip to see some friends near Tomah. Getting into the Wisconsin Rapids area, you are in Cranberry Country and I have never before nor since seen as many deer in one night than I did then. I've never tasted the venison from that area but I've heard it's much better meat because of the cranberries they eat.

This is the first year since he was a kid that my brother in law won't be going hunting and will actually be here with us for Thanksgiving. A bonus for us- he's alot of fun and he's also cooking the turkey!!!! I've read that the DNR is very very concerned about what this drop in hunters will do to increase the already problematic deer population. Seeing the northbound lane on the highway here in Green Bay last night, you'd never know there was a decrease in the numbers of hunters going out. I hope they get a handle on the Chronic Wasting Disease problem soon or it's going to get worse by next year at this time.

Sorry to hear about your wife's car but I'm glad they were able to fix it up for her. Just not the same though eh? That first scratch or dent on a new car -UGH!! And a deer can cause so much damage!!!!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

XW

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

(((((((( BB and wife)))))))

Sorry to hear of your deer run in. I hope your wife is ok as well. I don't know if they work or not but the deer whistles for cars are to have an impact on letting them know you are coming and they are supposed to move off the street well in advance of your arrival.

Good to see you BB. I have a new e-mail address. Drop a line if you are so inclined.

Hugs sent to you both,

Cassi

• BB
    BB

When did you guys move to Green Bay, I thought you lived in Texas? Am I confused? Is there another Xena?

Anyway, glad to meet you (again?) as we are nearly neighbors. We are just south of you off of Interstate 43 and a mile from the lake.

Stop by for pie and coffee on your next trip to Milwaukee.

BB

• BB
    BB

Hey, Cassi!

I still have the same email address, so send me a note so Ill have your new one.

Im so glad to see you posting again and hope that you are feeling better. Ive read recently that you still have one more surgery and while I dont pray, I will keep my fingers crossed and be thinking of you.

I so much hope that you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

Please, please, please promise to take good care of yourself!

BB

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

BB:

2 different people. There is Xena and then I'm xenawarrior. Nice to meet you!!! We've been having some parties up here lately with eyegirl, who is also in Wisconsin and Heaven from the UP !

Would be great to meet you and your wife!! You aren't that far away at all!

Go Packers!!!

XW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit