Dr Applewhite and Conti's case

by Viva la Vida 33 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Ah, here we go.

A listing of the articlles in the Watchtower and Awake magazines that criticize the Catholic Church and other churches for sex abuse:

http://www.silentlambs.org/Catholicarticles.htm

Applewhite must have read those, right??

How can a Catholic 'expert' appear and give testimony for the WTS when the WTS has castigated the Catholic Church about how bad they are in protecting children? What is wrong with this picture???

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    What a prostitute, she's willing to take money and then say what ever the GB want her to say all the while the organization she's defending views her as a Catholic zombie just waiting to be destroyed at Armageddon.

I'm sorry but I find comments like that to be very sexist and needlessly demeaning. I don't think Applewhite is everything I'd expect of an expert witness, but I see no reason for comments such as this. None at all. We should take care not to become the thing we detest.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    Marvin - respectfully - I think the reference to "prostitute" is misunderstood by you in this instance - It could just as easily have applied if the Dr was male. Come on - your eloquent writings have a Favourite spot on my computer - you have misread this.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

"I think the reference to "prostitute" is misunderstood by you in this instance"

I think so too!

One thing is for sure.....The WTBTS is behaving like a 'John' (a prostitute's client) by hiring her!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I think "prostitute" is a reference to my comment about the "whore" of Babylon.

Things can get a little crazy around here. I can totally understand why someone could get the wrong idea. We take for granted that the average reader will get the WTBTS terms and our subsequent sarcasm of said terminology.

Not that I'm saying Marvin didn't get it. I see where your coming from. Oh jeeze, it's late....

DD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

About calling an expert witness a "whore" (prostitute):

Preparing and Presenting Expert Testimony in Child Abuse Litigation: A Guide for Expert Witnesses and Attorneys - Paul Stern

pg. 114

A witness who spends a considerable amount of time working as an expert witness is vulnerable to attack as a biased witness. The opposing side will attempt to show the witness's track record as a "for hire" witness for one particular party. Although the term 'witness' might be used in court, "whore" ("prosecutor whore", "plaintiff whore", or "defense whore" - take your pick) is the clear implication. Indeed, there are some witnesses who are appropriately labelled as such (see the examples discussed in chapter 7). The frequency for which a witness testifies for a certain side, and for what financial gain, will be used as a measure of his or her objectivity.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I think the reference to "prostitute" is misunderstood by you in this instance...

In Dr. Applewhite I see a woman who's not the expert I'd prefer for the work she did for Watchtower. On this forum I've seen accusations heaped upon her that insofar as I can tell are unevidenced (e.g., that she did something illegal or unethical in Louisiana, USA). Then I see her called a prostitute in relation to her work with Watchtower versus her religion of preference, which is Catholic. That's way too personal, and I don't think it's called for. I see participants piling on the wrong person, and some of it is no more than allegation.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    insofar as I can tell are unevidenced (e.g., that she did something illegal or unethical in Louisiana, USA).

You are right. We will have to wait for the outcome of that Louisiana case. I was wrong to jump to conclusions - the evidence will determine the outcome. I will be interested in what the judge decides in Louisiana.

The "whore" label is one that is used by the legal profession even when the testimony has nothing to do with religion.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I will be interested in what the judge decides in Louisiana.

My guess is that no one here will care one rat's butt what a judge in Louisiana concludes about allegations of Applewhite unless she continues on working for Watchtower. Even then, and to be perfectly honest, I have experience with lawyers and courts in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana and what comes from that area is not very helpful to me, particularly in civil matters.

The "whore" label is one that is used by the legal profession even when the testimony has nothing to do with religion.

I don't care if a lawyer uses the term. I care what I do, and when I see needless personalized demeaning I say something.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    marvin: Even then, and to be perfectly honest, I have experience with lawyers and courts in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana and what comes from that area is not very helpful to me, particularly in civil matters.

Sigh. You are right. I keep forgetting about the American way of doing things in a court of law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit