Better say what they want to hear

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

There are two topics that I refuse to bend on, while answering at the Hall, because I know I'm right.

Every time we have a study on the Good Samaritan, and someone's comments liken the illustration to preaching, I put up my hand and comment that this illustration has nothing to do with preaching, it's talking about helping with the MATERIAL needs of our so-called enemies. You can hear a pin drop after that.

The second topic was when we were studying The Greatest Man book. Chapter 117. Paragraph 3 talks about when Jesus was praying shortly before his death: ' "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." What does he mean? Is he backing down from his decision to die and provide the ransom? Not at all! Jesus is not appealing to be spared from death..........Rather, he is in agony because he fears that they way he will soon die--as a despicable criminal--will bring reproach upon his Father's name.'

So they're saying that "this cup" is just Jesus fear of bringing reproach upon Jehovah's name and that he's not really asking to be spared from death. This simply isn't true and I bring their attention to chapter 98 of the very same book that also talks about "this cup": Jesus asks his disciples: "Can you drink the cup that I am about to drink?" "We can" they answer. Even though Jesus has just told them that he faces terrible persecution and finally execution, they apprently do not comprehend that this is what he means by "the cup" he is about to drink.

Well DUUUUH!!! It's pretty clear that the persecution and execution are "the cup" Jesus was talking about. But naturally, non one can think for themselves so I brought this to everyone's attention. One sister kept arguing with me but I got the better of her.

5 people came up to me after the bookstudy and thanked me profusely for bringing this out as they had come to the very same conclusion as me, only they were too afraid to say anything.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Excellent point!! Mary, you have chosen the good portion.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Good point Mary.

Another point is that it was a man of a different religion, a Samaritan, that proved to be the good neighbor in Jesus story. Very powerful implications!

• Jade
    Jade

I always wanted to raise my hand and say "I think you're full of shit"

• Michael Collins
    Michael Collins

It is a tragedy that they supress freedom of expression.

Michael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit