Anyone taken legal action in DF'ing?

by startingover 20 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

A close friend of mine, in fact a lurker here, got a call last night inviting him to a jc meeting, accused of apostasy. He would like to avoid this because of the things it would complicate, and would like to just be left alone. I know in the past I have read comments of some who have threatened legal action in this situation. Any advice?

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Way back when I was going through my original issues with the WT I consulted with a lawyer who was also a close family friend. After all was said and done he simply asked- "Why would you fight so hard to remain in an organization that you do not agree with and one that no longer wants you as a member?"

When I expressed my concern over the shunning practice and losing family and friends he responded that the best bet was to hold my opinions silent so as to remain in good standing with the WT in order to maintain my relationships. He stated that if my feelings about the org were so strong that given the legal circumstances of religious orgs that shunning would be part of the sacrifice I must suffer in taking my stand. No law can force a organization or an individual to associate with anyone. You may be allowed in the building but no one can force anyone to talk to you or invite you to their party.

Edited by - kelsey007 on 22 November 2002 12:52:9

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

I'm sorry, but why when I read this did I start having a craving for a BigMac?????

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

I hope that you were hungry to begin with! Hate to think this subject gave you that great a hunger-

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I just mailed off a letter, threatening legal action. It was given to me by someone who knows people who have used it and it went well with them. I am at work right now but when I get home later on I will post a copy of it so you can see if the individual would want to use it. I don't think I would really follow through with a lawsuit, it would cost too much and my sole reason for threatening them with one is to fustrate them and not play by their rules. Ultimately if I have to I will DA myself.

• Cassiline
  • startingover
    startingover

lv4fer,

I think you really hit on what he wants to do. Looking forward to reading the letter. His meeting is on Monday

• Francois
    Francois

The best defense is a good offense. Put them on the defensive. Get them off balance and keep them there.

Is there an elder in your congregation that is particularly evil, wicked, mean, bad and nasty? Skinning the sheep? And everyone knows it, but no one does anything about it because no one wants to confront this elder - even other elders - because he is so abrasive? GOOD. That's just what you need. I had one of those in my congregation, and here is how I used him.

The JC wanted to talk to me about adultery. I refused to meet them at the KH. That was hostile territory. I wasn't going to meet them in the lion's den. But, I let them come over to my home. I let them ask their first question. Then I said, "As long as you people tolerate C.B. Mitchel as an elder in the congregation - skinning the sheep as he does, and you KNOW he does this - you don't have the moral authority to ask me any questions, or to sit in judgement of me." They were so taken aback they didn't know what to do. With that one statement, I changed the subject, I put them on the defensive, I made the problem out to be them, not me, and I effectively ended the interogation.

Now, the trick is to remember that when you have made a statement like this, CLAM UP. Don't say another word. The next person to open their mouth and say something is going to lose the entire argument.

Well, my guys hemmed and hawed for a minute or two and someone said, "don't you know you could be disciplined if you're found guilty of adultery?" And I said, "Well, you're going to have to prove it all on your own. And as I said, you tolerate C.B. Mitchell who has done far worse to and in the congregation than I've ever done and you people tolerate him. What are you doing picking on little ol' ME for? You take care of C.B., THEN we might have something to talk about. And as far as being disciplined is concerned, there's nothing you can do to hurt me any more than you've already done to hurt me, so you just go right ahead and do whatever you feel like doing. But I'm not saying one more word to you until you do something about C.B. Mitchel. Now, I believe I've made my position clear, so gentlemen, this conversation is over. Let me show you to the door." At which point I got up and walked over to the door and opened it, held open the screen and looked at the presiding overseer straight in the eyes and kept my mouth slammed shut. They got up and left. And it was two years before I heard from them again. And in all that time, my shadow did not darken the door of the KH.

My two cents.

• LB
    LB

I have only threatened a lawsuit against any elder that prevents my JW son from speaking to me after I sent in my DA letter. So far he has not been spoken too. That's a wise move because I will drag them through court if only to cost them personally some money.

• Mary
    Mary

StartingOver said: " I got a call last night inviting him to a jc meeting, accused of apostasy. He would like to avoid this because of the things it would complicate, and would like to just be left alone."

If they've already got a Judical Committe set up, then they obviously are gonna try and get him DF'd. He's got a couple of choices: one is to simply ignore their request and hopefully, they'll quit bugging him. If they don't, he can either meet with them in HIS home (I wouldn't go to the Hall if I were him) and simply deny everything. Unless he had "two witnesses" who personally witnessed him apostacizing, then they got no case. Or three, tell him to make a date and then at the last minute, cancel it. Just keep doing this and after 7 or 8 times, they should leave him alone.

Does he go to the Hall now? If not, they got no business even asking him what he's doing with his life. He could also tell them to piss off and mind their own business or he'll sue them in civil court. That might make them think twice cause then alot of elders might be looking at losing their houses..........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit