Watershed moment???

by sparrowdown 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Will this RC turn out to be the beginnings of a watershed time in WBTS history?

Do you have any thoughts regarding this?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's hard to say. Being in another country makes it a bit easier for US JWs to ignore. I imagine it will have more of an impact in Australia and the UK. I do think it will have some impact here, and they have had quite a bit of negative things lately, so not good for them. It could be the tipping point, the one thing that starts the exodus. It would sure be nice, wouldn't it?

• cha ching
    cha ching

I think that with all the "CONFIDENTIAL" letters that the Aussie Gov got a hold of, and posted, it will be easier to see through the smoke screen, and behind the curtain of the GB. Many lawyers will love it!

Never before have people had this official documentation in their hands, being able to see the cold-heartedness of these 'men of God.'

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Will this RC turn out to be the beginnings of a watershed time in WBTS history?"

It will have an impact on their secret history, which is what most of Watchtower history is from the point of view of its members, but I don't think your typical JW will notice too much. There would be some fallout in the US but not in non-English speaking countries.

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

I am wondering if the Aussie branch will have an outward change of policy to appease the RC much like other situations we have seen in various countries. Isn't there a country that the dubs are able to have branch sanctioned blood transfusions (I could be imagining this situation)?

I would love for the RC to cause sweeping change in the policies and procedures (basically non-existent) of abuse cases. I love that the RC is better schooled in JW beliefs than the actual JWs.

• millie210
    millie210

The perception of the news is that it moves fast and corruption is everywhere. Nothing surprises people anymore - or at least it takes something pretty big. JWs are not that big and dont matter to most people so I think this is going to have more impact in Australia but less in the U.S. and perhaps other countries.

• zeb
    zeb
    The Royal Commission will get a lot of notice in any British Commonwealth country. Australia, UK, Canada, Malaysia, and many others. That's a lot of notice to be seen. Don't forget too that the RC will put up in its final report a series of recommendations to the Australian Federal Government.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    • Will this RC turn out to be the beginnings of a watershed time in WBTS history?

I doubt it, but it would be nice for Watchtower to introduce transparency into its whole religious system. If nothing else, I think the RC will introduce changes in Australia that will force Watchtower to improve its policy on allegation of child molestation so that victims are not further victimized and predators are reported to authorities to help protect all children from them.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

"Will this RC turn out to be the beginnings of a watershed time in WBTS history?"

Who knows in Canada and the U.S.? I have been watching the usual media news outlets here looking for a mention of the Australian Royal Commission and have heard nothing. There is still a lot more testimony coming so maybe it will change. But that's just my experience so far and I don't have any contact with any witnesses who are still in. So others who have contact with immediate family who are dubs will no doubt see things differently.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    One exceptional thing is that the documentation is there and it is not possible to plausibly deny that it came from the WT Society. It was obtained by courts and will be posted by such. The mirror sites will be able to refer to the originals and it will be known that they are legitimate. This is a great change in the fight against their lack of transparency. Future litigants will know which documents to subpoena. Perhaps these very documents from Australia will be admissible. Hope so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit