Part true, part error.

by Yadirf 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

This morning I happened to be browsing thru the "Questions and Answers" section of THE WATCHMAN web site

http://www.e-watchman.com/index.html when I decided to follow a link to a certain page on the WTSs web site. It took me to an article entitled "CHRISTMAS CUSTOMS--Are They Christian?"

As a result of having quickly scanned the article I was made to feel partly glad and partly sad. I was glad over the part that I could still agree with and can therefore still heartily support. But I was saddened over the part that I absolutely know to be in error and for that reason am no longer able to recommend to others.

TRUE, GLAD PART:

Had God wanted to guide [the Magi] to the young child, they would have been led to the exact place without needing to go first to Jerusalem and to Herod's palace.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2000/12/15/article_01.htm

ERRONEOUS, SAD PART:

[Jesus] is the ruling King of God's Kingdom.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2000/12/15/article_01.htm

Yes, its true that the Magi were initially being directed by Satan and that the Star of Bethlehem was his trick method for accomplishing it.

But, in spite of how much I would hope otherwise, its NOT true that Jesus is presently a "ruling King" since 1914.

Yadirf

• detective
    detective

If the magi were led by Satan's star, as you allege, I would be interested to know who/what led the shepherds to baby Jesus?

By the way... LOL at the Satan's star reference. I honestly think you cling to that silly idea just to bait others into arguing with you.

You're funny.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    If the magi were led by Satan's star, as you allege, I would be interested to know who/what led the shepherds to baby Jesus?

See Luke 2:8-16.

• dubla
    dubla

if i had a dollar for every time friday tried to strike up the "evil star" argument........all the wonderful things i could buy.

hey yadirf, is this the only topic you feel comfortable arguing, or is it just your favorite?

aa

• Celia
    Celia

The way the JWs explain the star is just laughable. Satan put it there to bring the Magi to Jerusalem and Herod... Right...

Where is God then ? Does He know about Satan's plan ?

Why did they follow the star in the first place ? Because they knew that a star would appear when the Savior was born...

Satan didn't do a very good job though, because the Magi didn't return to Jerusalem to tell Herod where the child Jesus was to be found...

Why didn't Herod go with them and followed the star with them ?

Oh well... It's almost Christmas... What do you think the dubs will be talking about when they go door-to-door ? Christmas is not Jesus birthday, and the star was a sign of Satan

Edited by - Celia on 20 November 2002 13:39:59

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

While researching "Druidism" I found it interesting that among many of the ancient rituals they practiced, and long before Christianity, ( as far back as 3500 bc can be traced ) one of them included hanging mistletoe, which is sacred, on trees during special ceremonies and sacrifices to the sun god ( which is also the son of satan or satans original creation that gives light to the earth ) and the other various gods who are represented by the stars and planets.

Pretty interesting stuff when you really get into it and start digging. It's amazing what you can find on the net these days.

plum

• Satanus
    Satanus

Plum

the sun god ( which is also the son of satan or satans original creation that gives light to the earth )

Are you saying that the druids believed the above? They believed in a satan devil? If not who believes that satan created the sun? I'm just a bit confused. Also, i unerstood that druidism was all verbally transmited, thus there are really no existing records of their beliefs that go back very far in time. If you have found something authoritative on their beliefs, i would be interested in seeing it. Thanks.

Ok friday, i return the floor to you.

SS

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

When did Satan get control over the stars? He didn't create them. God did. (Gen. 1:16)

Certainly God was very aware of the star He created and its maneuvers and Herod's reaction to the astrologers' inquiry? In vs. 12 He warned the magi in a dream not to return to Herod. Sounds like God' plan rather than Satan's. If the star had been a part of Satan's shenanigans, why did they follow Satan up to this point, but now take an about face to obey God's dream? Should they not have continued to obey Satan's plan? Their intentions are clearly evident in vs. 11-12: to honor the king of the Jews and present him with gifts. There is no hint of Satan controlling a star in this passage. This is a J.W. interpolation.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    When did Satan get control over the stars? He didn't create them. God did. (Gen. 1:16)

The "star" was NOT one of the celestial objects that God had created, O sleepy one. Unless you are first able to grasp that you may as well return to your slumber.

• dubla
    dubla
    The "star" was NOT one of the celestial objects that God had created, O sleepy one.

no, yadirf believes satan created that particular star, even though nowhere in the bible is satan said to have the ability to create anything.

aa

Edited by - dubla on 21 November 2002 13:22:47

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit