How to become "normal"?

by acsot 25 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot

I went to my first worldly gathering the other evening. A drunken orgy??? dancing all night at the Salsathque? Not. A .. candle party. Kind of like Tupperware only with candles and accessories. Wow, scary stuff . Okay, my question is, when does a person feel normal about doing normal stuff. Throughout the evening, I kept thinking, this is so weird, I have nothing in common with these people, theyre all so relaxed and natural, why cant I just stop thinking that Im doing something wrong by just being here? why cant I just relax? It was all very pleasant and innocuous yet I still felt this unease about being there. And of course there was all this Christmas-related stuff (OMG Ill be zapped by lightning).

Naturally, the earth didnt stop spinning on its axis and I made it home quite safely (no demons lurking at the side of the road to ambush my car), and I feel so ridiculous about giving this non-event the importance it doesnt deserve. But its so hard to keep those JW ideas out of my head you know, 1 Cor. 15:33 (bad associations, etc.)

Does it ever get easy to be normal?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Yes, it will get normal, being "normal". Give yourself some time. All that nonsense about worldly people being evil, has been slammed into your mind for quite some time, give it time to get rid of it.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

acsot....I know how you feel. I grew up in IT and I still feel weird if I join in a Happy Birthday song or even saying those horrible words. Of course then, I feel even more terrible when I can not remember my parents or kids birthdates...because such little importance was given to them. I guess it's just a time related thing, depending how many years of brainwashing you were exposed to. Everyday I'm weighing the difference between the "worldly" folks and the Borg...and everyday I discover to my pleasant surprise the "worldly" folk show more love, emotion, empathy, etc than the Witless ones. Depending on the amount of exposure, some of us may never be completely "normal" but we can get better.

-BONEZZ

• butalbee
    butalbee

I've never been 'normal'. Is there such a thing?

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

This summer, I went to my first PrideFest(LGBT). I felt like I was in the middle of Sodom and Gomorrah, and I was sure I was going to be struck dead. But, alas, all was fine, and I realized there was no possible way that God could hate all these wonderful people.

I do remember my first "wordly" funeral. I got sick walking into the church...thought I was surely damning myself. I actually went home and cried...it does get much easier. Now I am happily feasting off of "the table of Satan" LOL

• acsot
    acsot

Asortafairytale: I know what you mean, my brother's gay and he and his companion are such decent, kind and hospitable people I couldn't believe God was going to zap them because of some weird doctrines they didn't believe in.

Bonezz I felt strange the other day when I heard a group outside singing Christmas carols and everyone standing around joined in and I didnt know even one word of the carols.

Butalbee: for me now normal is whatever JWs are not .

• JH
    JH

If you read 1Cor 6:9, well all those of practice these things, will not inherit of the kingdom. Everybody here in this forum, either were or are still Jehovah Witnesses, so to a certain extent, most of us still believe in the bible. They only argue about its interpretation. Wordly people as we were taught, do not know their bible, nor God's will. So for them, it is normal to act the way they acted at that party you were talking about. As long as you read the bible and attend J.W. meetings, you will never find it normal to participate in such a party, where immoral things go on. Everyone is free to decide for himself what kind of life he or she wants to live. If you attend meetings, and go to worldly parties, then you are living a double life, and will have to choose one day which master you want to serve.

On the other hand, if you choose to quit being a witness, or act like one, then after time, you will get used to other values and will blend in, and be just like the others. It's a period of transition.

• alfie
    alfie

Hi acsot, Those feelings will definitely take a while to leave you, but leave you they will. I know, we just celebrated the birthdays of my wife and daughter, and singing "Happy Birthday" made me feel a little funny, but only just a little. What helped was watching my 21/2 year old granddaughter singing and her little face lighting up when she saw the candles on the cake and how normal it all is. It's times like that when you know you're going to adjust and see the innocence in all these "worldly" activities. Hang in there, it does get better.

alfie

Edited by - alfie on 20 November 2002 12:58:36

• shera
    shera

You are normal.Besides what is normal?Be yourself and give yourself time to let the Jw teachings to fade off.I think people who been there and done that will understand where you are comming from.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Same thoughts here on that, what is normal??? Didn't really know there was a normal!!! I don't think it really exist. Just live your life, be kind to yourself and treat others the way the you would want to be treated. Life is good, enjoy it!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit