advice about con man

by jurs 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jurs
    jurs

Sorry this isn't JW related but its weighing heavy on my mind. 6 months ago i started working as a hairstylist. I booth rent and buy all my own supplies.......... the salon provides nothing. I'm just building my clientel so I make very little money after paying for rent and supplies. Its a small salon/spa . On Saturday a man whose been a hairstylist 20 plus years, (he's 50 and a Vietnam war vet) started working in the salon and we share a room together. I wasn't working that day but when I came in on Monday I met him and I liked him. He asked to borrow some of my color products he said his got ruined by forgetting them in the trunk of his car. I said sure and then noticed that he was borrowing everthing of mine. My color bowl , brush, Shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, gel ,mousse and developer. He did ask to use the hairspray but thats it. He used my towels even!! It didn't start to bother me until the middled of the night I woke up and thought oh oh This guy has NOTHING No supplies and some of the stuff he talked about didn't add up.

Today I went in and looked at his appointment book and saw that he had several appointments on the day I was gone that required chemicals and products and I thought he probably took my stuff. So I started doing inventory and he came in. He seemed nervous and about 10 minutes later told me he used some color on Saturday and he'd replace it . He said he was going to the supply house today. I asked him about why he had no shampoo or bleach or developer and he said EVERYHING got ruined in his car because of the cold weather. I knew he was lying but what could I say. He made a phone call to his girlfriend and said he needed a ride to get supplies and then he went outside to talk to her. He never left. He told me sob stories about how he couldn't drive because he has high blood pressure and blacks out. He said he was going to go look for a place to live because he wants to buy instead of rent. that didn't make sense since he just moved to town 9 months ago and has changed salons twice and doesn't have much of a clientel. I know he doesn't because I saw his appointment book and its almost as bleak as mine. Although he said to me and the owner he had a healthy clientel. They were only taking hairstylist with a clientel because the salon has two of us who are building . He sat all day with me with the phone in his hand so that he'd get who ever called !!!!! I was pissed !!! He got a highlight which is good money and has no products to do it!!!! He even had the nerve right before the phone rang to tell me that he would give me the new clients who call or walk in because that was his agreement with the owner and then the phone rang (my phone that I bought) he answered because I had no chance to, because he's holding the damn thing and got a booking!!! I left because I thought I was going to explode. I'm so mad that I'm grabbing some of my stuff that is expensive and I don't want him to use it and he said that he just use a couple of squirts of my shampoo tonight. I told him NO, he cant use my shampoo. conditioner , color NOTHING!!!! I cant carry myself and him as well and I left.

I called the salon he use to work at and my suspisions were confirmed that his stuff didn't all get ruined in his car because he didn't have a color line!!! All the back bar was provided by the salon. She said he didn't have a car and he has to walk everywhere.

I know that this guy is broke. Just reading in between the lines i know there is no way he can afford to get all the stuff he needs. It cost me about $2000 to get all my stuff and this guy is probably struggling to buy lunch.

Here is my dilema. I think he's completely broke and struggling. My husband makes a good income and its really just fluff money for me. BUT I also think he's a con. He's pretty smooth and full of compliments. I don't trust him and my gut instincts say if I give him an inch he'll take a mile. I'm really not sure if I even want to continue with this career. Its not what I thought it would be. Should I quit, because we are roomates and its awkward now. I called the owner to tell him that this guy needs to buy his own stuff and its going to be awkward. Plus I don't trust him , he can take stuff that I can't inventory. Lastly , he's desperate for walk ins and phone calls and holds that phone so he'll get it. There's 3 of us building and I'm going to be sitting there making no money when I could be home cleaning my mess of a house !!!

Finally I feel like crap because I'm being coldhearted to some guy I know could use the money more than me. Ugggggggggggggg

Wanted to vent

jurs

• Satanus
    Satanus

People like this will keep you constantly angry. The only place for them is out of your life. He is likely spending, or has spent his money on some habit. But, even if he isn't, you have no responsibility towards him. He is where he is because he put himself there. I have dealt w a few people like him.

You could fully explain the situation to the owner. If worse comes to worse, you could always tell the owner that you might leave because of this person.

SS

• Farkel
    Farkel

jurs,

: Here is my dilema. I think he's completely broke and struggling. My husband makes a good income and its really just fluff money for me. BUT I also think he's a con.

He's a liar. Just how much slack do you want to give to liars? I give them NONE. Send him to hell.

Farkel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hmmmm... always wondered about sending someone "to hell". Does that involve the use of a shotgun?

• breeze
    breeze

The more you give in the more he will take advantage of you....

Stop him immediately!!!!!

Start your own salon in your garage....call all of your clients and invite them over...

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

He's a blood sucker. Whether you know it or not, when I was a kid the best way to remove a literal blood sucker of your skin was to piss on him. That's the truth. In your case it's symbolic.

Guest 77

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Listen to YOURSELF:

I said sure and then noticed that he was borrowing everthing of mine.

the middled of the night I woke up and thought oh oh

and some of the stuff he talked about didn't add up. I knew he was lying but what could I say.

(You could say, I don't believe you.)

He seemed nervous

He told me sob stories

Although he said to me and the owner he had a healthy clientel.

I called the salon he use to work at and my suspisions were confirmed

He's pretty smooth and full of compliments. I don't trust him and my gut instincts say if I give him an inch he'll take a mile.

Finally I feel like crap because I'm being coldhearted to some guy I know could use the money more than me.

(Con men, count on that! He is a big boy, it is not your responsibility to take care of him, it is HIS responsibility to take care of himself, which by the way he's doing just fine at. Do you really want to enable him to rely on you? Or do you want to enable him to be a big boy when he grows up? You aren't doing yourself OR this freak any favours by doing him favours, if you know what I mean.)

You already seem to have the answers. What would you advise someone else to do, if they were in the same situation?

Also, is you quitting the only way for you to get rid of him? Or can you suggest to the owner of the place that he'd be better off replacing this louse with someone better?

btw, I think telling him NO in no uncertain terms re using your stuff, wuz a great thing. Keep that up for sure. And about the phone, smile sweetly as you take it from his hands and place it on your table. Or tell the owner that the new business coming in needs to be divied up properly. Or look for somewhere else to work.

Or hell, if quitting is what you'd prefer to do, that's always an option too.

SPAZ
  • Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Finally I feel like crap because I'm being coldhearted to some guy I know could use the money more than me.

No need to feel like crap. He is a con man as you say, so don't do him any favors.

Based on what you told us, he is not just a man struggling to start a business. He is dishonest and deceitful. You owe him no kindness at all.

There are ways he could do it if he were honest. Like offering you a deal and splitting the cost of supplies. But he didn't do that and has chosen to blantantly lie.

He deserves to be treated coldheartedly.

Richard

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I don't trust him and my gut instincts say if I give him an inch he'll take a mile.

Jurs,

This guy has already taken a mile. He will take another if you don't stop him.

Oh, and another thing, ALWAYS trust your gut.

Robyn

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yeah, what Robdar said.

Oh, and another thing, ALWAYS trust your gut.

Amen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit