Worldy Compassion & Generosity

by pettygrudger 13 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Last Friday, one of our employees' home burned to the ground, killing all 3 of his children. I began the process of taking up a collection, buying the card, etc. etc. All of us were shocked to the core for this man's tragedy and suffering. I started the card/donation circulation and went home to my beautiful children (both of whom are extremely irritated at me for not being able to stop hugging & kissing on them all weekend). Anyways, Monday I had to take a personal day (your fault found!!!) so I did not come to work until today.

Our company of only 350 employees had donated over $5500.00 for the family. One of our customers (not vendors) who happened to be here on Friday from Canada went home to their own company & began a collection for our employee - someone who they had never met as he works in one of our sub-divisions at another location. This company in Canada (of only 300 or so employees) along with the union, donated a combined sum of over $4500.00 - for someone none of these people had ever met in their life.

It will never cease to amaze me how "worldly" the "worldlies" are when it comes to human compassion & generosity.

The devil must've made them do it!

• acsot
    acsot

I agree with you! In my area we were hit by the ice storm of '98; no electricity in my home for five days, temperatures dropped to below freezing. Nothing was organized in my congregation to help out; if you had a good friend in the hall who had electricity you were lucky, you could go there, but the elders didn't organize anything, although the P.O. made sure he got himself to a sister's house where there was heat and good food. She was a single mom and gave up her bed for the P.O. and his wife, while she slept on her sofa. Two pregnant sisters (six and seven months pregnant) were told to sleep in the Kingdom Hall where there was electricity. Sleep? sitting up all night on hard chairs? the P.O. didn't give up his comfortable bed for them!

However, at my place of work a help committee was organized and every employee was phoned to make sure they had a place to sleep and to see if they needed anything, food, blankets, whatever. I'll take the "worldlings" anyday!

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I also forgot to mention that 4 different "clubs" (moose lodges) have also taken up donations - and the food last night at the visitation was more than Russ/Diane will be able to eat in a lifetime. Russ said they will donate leftovers' to local food banks after today's funeral service.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I agree, the charity that people show to others is pretty amazing at times. Yes, we humans are basically selfish beings, and most of that help is given from people's 'extra' time/money from the most part (though not always!), it demonstrates that the nature of people is usually pretty good.

The flip side is that from an organizational standpoint, being a JW allows a person to be extremely selfish and feel good about themselves - as long as they're putting in the FS hours nothing else is required. I know it has been hard for me to pull myself out of that into an attitude of helping others in 'real' ways, ways that put food and shelter over their heads, or improve their health/quality of life. Not passing by all of those places taking donations for things. Not that I drop into every one of them, but it feels good to help out.

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Post the name of somewhere (A bank or lodge) that is taking in donations and I will send something too.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That is a lovely story of human compasssion and we feel for that poor couple.

For many years before stopping the service to the Borg, I had given up on the notion that all "Worldlings" were mean and horrible. Now I can see with open eyes the good ,as well as sometimes bad, in the people of this world.

I happened to read the Awake of November 22nd. There is a blatent trumpet blowing article regarding their efforts in relief measures in Houston in June 2001

It is telling when they proudly say the elders compiled a report of the "Brothers and sisters" in need and a squad was assembled to repair the homes of 700 witnesses. It ends with a tribute to "The loving brotherhood"

Sure , they say , but only looking after their own.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I happened to read the Awake of November 22nd. There is a blatent trumpet blowing article regarding their efforts in relief measures in Houston in June 2001

It is telling when they proudly say the elders compiled a report of the "Brothers and sisters" in need and a squad was assembled to repair the homes of 700 witnesses. It ends with a tribute to "The loving brotherhood"

I knew that they would be blowing their own horns about the help they gave each other as a witness that they are SOOOOO unified. I figured that they would try to get as much mileage as they could out of this.

I think I'll share some of the behind the scenes backbiting that went on with this.

One of my witness relatives was the receipient of this "free" help and although they basically got their house rebuilt for free, they were bitching the whole time about how long it was taking. They only donated back to their so-called "friends" a tiny fraction of what it actually took to rebuild even though their insurance cut them a HUGE check for the damages. They took their insurance money and bought big ticket items they otherwise would've never been able to afford.

Although I HEARD of the "reports" of brothers signing all their government aid and insurance checks over to the society, this relative and most other JWs I know of were upset that they were being presented with bills totaling the cost of the supplies and then being pressured to make their donation in that amount. The Soceity was justifying their attitude by saying " well, jehovah even takes care of the sparrows" and the ole "honoring Jehovah with your valuable things". The individual JWs were justifying their attitude by saying "How do we know that this is actually how much these supplies cost?", basically looking for any wiggle room possible that will allow them to be the cheapskates they are, even at their "brothers" expense. So much for their so-called unity and speaking with one voice.

The society took what could've been a golden opportunity for them actually perform some real community service and turned it into a selfish free for all limited to those they perceived in "good standing" at the local kingdum halls and especially for those who had insurance as they got to have their cake and eat it too. This was nothing more than another one of their propaganda and profiteering schemes. They used their tax exempt religious status to get free and heavily reduced price supplies, free storage of said supplies, rebuilt the homes of only their members, and then attempted to reap huge financial rewards by charging back to the members the retail cost of the supplies. They then resorted to using strongarm, coercive, and guilt tripping tactics to get them to pay up by disguising subsequent elder visits as "shepherding calls".

I'll bet that they didn't present that side in their Asleep magazine.

• JH
    JH

I remember so well that the Jehovah Witnesses said that they alone had LOVE for their neighbors. They always pictured the worldly people as mean, arrogant, unloving, and so on. Many people are generous when a disaster strikes. It's not the religion that makes you generous, but what is in your heart. Many witnesses are generous, but not always in the way we would like. For them, being generous, is knocking on doors, giving a free bible study. Being human, we need more than bible studies. We also need food, cloths, encouragement and so on.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

It was sure an eye opener when I came out of the worlds most loving and caring and giving religion and found those old evil worldly people to be so much more loving and caring and giving.

Also the worldly people are much less demanding and in a lot of situations one can actually reason with them. It even goes so far that one can actually disagree with them and not be excomunicated.

What is wrong with all these worldly people? Don't they know that is not christian like?

Outoftheorg

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I've seen dubs take clothing donations for some disaster and then the donated clothes go into a storage room at the KH and rot.

Meanwhile I've seen churches help out total strangers. Some very close friends of mine fell on bad times and were very new members of a local church. That church gave them so much food that they turned around and donated some back to the food bank and found others in need to give to. That church even delivered a brand new stove to them when the rental company repo'd the one they couldn't afford payments on.

When our hall got a telephone for the first time, we would get calls from people in destitute financial problems asking for charitable assistance making rent or getting food. The instructions were to simply tell them no.

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit