Question for Brits

by Francois 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

I've always wanted to know: what is a moor?

Please & thanks

• scotsman
    scotsman

a large area of empty land, usually pretty barren without trees and not farmed, with only grass and pretty hardy plants.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Another question for Brits

Who the hell is Ali G?? Should I let my kids watch him?? What happened to Frank Spencer and Basil Faulty for family entertainment??

~Beck~

ps..sorry for going off topic

• glitter
    glitter
    Who the hell is Ali G?? Should I let my kids watch him??

Ali G is a character invented by a comedian called Sacha Baron Cohen - he's a parody of young white men who are into the whole Gangsta thing.

He's not a kid's entertainer even though many kids watch his programmes and have watched his film. Ali G is very funny sometimes, but uses really bad language and stuff and can be offensive to some people (women, racial minorities, the disabled) - so it just depends on what you allow them to watch and what you don't and how likely they are to copy it at school and get yelled at.

Anyway, watch it and see what you think.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Is he anywhere even near as funny as Graham Norton????

• glitter
    glitter

Graham Norton is miles funnier.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Ali G used to be a fantastic concept. The character originally used to interview MPs, church leaders, prominent figures. Managing to outwit and highlight the ignorance within these people about street culture. It was very funny indeed. These people Ali interviewed seemed unaware of the joke!

A year or two down the line, more money was pumped into the character and the scripts expanded, along with Ali's head. He became (as has been already mentioned) a larger than life white kid (although he looks Asian to me) who claimed to be from the ghetto and had his own TV show, which for the most part was an excuse to be sexually perverse, glamorize drug culture and gangsta lifestyle. Which was fine for the first series in a way, as it was quite funny in parts and the interviews continued but this time mostly with media stars who were in on the joke.

To me, the joke has grown stale and the latest series and indeed the film (now out on DVD) you can have compressed into around half an hours decent material, the rest being garbage.

Ali should be put to rest or at the very least, grow up and evolve into a slightly more mature version of the same character.

Personally I wouldn't let kids see the show, as it is pure satire, but they won't appreciate that fact.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hi :o)

Sacha Baron Cohen (alias Ali G) is the son of a Welsh father and a Jewish mother and was educated at Christ's College Cambridge where his thesis covered black and Jewish cultures. [He is rumoured to be the cousin of Dr Simon Baron Cohen, a fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, University lecturer in Psycopathology and expert on autism.]

Sacha Baron Cohen is becoming infamous for his outbursts of bad language and obscenities, though it has been conjectured that these may have occurred in order to gain media coverage.

He was funny at first........

• shera
    shera

He's an expert on autism,and he makes fun of disabled persons?I have an austic son and I'll be sure "not"to watch him.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hi Shera :o)

Sorry if my posting was unclear! Dr Simon Baron Cohen is the expert on autism not Sacha Baron Cohen who plays Ali G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit