Help! Neighbor starting a study

by Trotafox 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Yerusalyim: I had planned on getting a newer revision of C of C that includes the UN scandal. Maybe this would be a good time to "loan" out my old copy to her (with a photocopy of the revised second on the UN inserted ). If I loaned it to her as opposed to giving it to her, she would have to keep it around for a while and maybe curiosity would get to her. She couldn't toss it because she would have to return it. I say this because if Alberta found out, she would tell her to trash it. It's a thought.

NewLight2: Maybe I'll do what I did last year. I hand delivered Xmas cards to several neighbors instead of mailing them and sat and had a chat with each one. It was my first Xmas in 11 years so I was really enjoying the freedom. I've only been here about a year and a half so I don't all the neighbors yet. I hadn't had that many opportunities to speak to Mary at the time. I work and most of the neighbors around here are retired or on disability. Maybe this year, I should go to all my neighbors houses, including Mary's, and say a Xmas "Hi" with a little neighborly gift.

Trot

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

C of C may be a good book to give to someone who is ALREADY a JW, however, I believe it will seem rather un-interesting to a newly interested one. I would suggest these two titles would prove more interesting to Mary.

Witnesses of Jehovah: A Shocking Expose of What Jehovah's Witnesses Really believe - Leonard & Marie Chretien

Available from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0890815879/qid=1037592207/sr=1-78/ref=sr_1_78/103-0555868-9227831?v=glance&s=books

The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses - Heather and Gary Botting

Also availble from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802065457/qid=1037591934/sr=1-39/ref=sr_1_39/103-0555868-9227831?v=glance&s=books

The important thing to remember is to go SLOW with her, letting her tell you she is studying first, before you give her any books about JW's.

NewLight2

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I know that as a non and never JW, C of C didn't make a huge impact on me. A couple of friends and I just read Diane Wilson's book " Awakening of A Jehovah's Witness" . They enjoyed reading it yet were horrified by what they learned about the Watchtower Society. It explains things well for Non jws.

Edited by - concerned mama on 18 November 2002 0:9:37

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Thanks, New Light and Concerned Mama. Will make notes of the books.

The important thing to remember is to go SLOW with her, letting her tell you she is studying first, before you give her any books about JW's.

Will do but very hard. It's like watching an execution in slow motion.

Trot

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Trot,

It never ceases to amaze me how people become suckers! Well, I s'pose we all are or have been, but I still find it incredible to think that people are so immune to all the revelations about the Borg.

Anyway, for now, I'd suggest you speak quietly to your neighbour and suggest she ask them to tell her all about shunning. See how much love bombing that will produce! She could ask them something like : "If I became a JW and my granddaughter did too, and when she got older she was DF, would I have to get rid of her?"

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 18 November 2002 1:45:21

• simplesally
    simplesally

Trot,

I think I agree with the "Love Bomb" ideas. The sisters are very good with the elderly because they do pay attention to the oft neglected. You can do it, too, from the bottom of your heart. Some people simply do belong to the Org because of the association, not because of the teachings.

I also agree that you should not give her the CofC book. Won't impact her. And the NGO thing, most people could care less about the UN except JW's who insist they are neutral.

What I would do is talk about things that are easy to see. Um----

--First Gentile baptized was a SOLDIER. Won't happen with the JWs.
    --At the KH, they VOTE on whether or not to remodel, re-pave the parking lot, pay CO expenses, pay CO insurance policies, etc..... but its not okay to vote on public measures that have to do with widening roads, taxes, health care, etc?????
    --Its okay to wear white on the wedding day, wear a wedding ring, celebrate anniversaries, but not okay to celebrate another year of life (who says you have to have candles to ward of spirits, lol) or have a party to welcome in the new year with hopes of peace (who says that means you're getting drunk???)
    --Since when is it better to give double honor to elders every day than your Mother and Father one day a year

• truthsetsfree
    truthsetsfree

Trot, was I correct in my impression that you came out of the JWs? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    If you were, tell her your story. I think I speak for many people who have never been in in that, much of the population has an impression that the JWs are kind of odd, though most who have never dug into the issue cannot tell you why. Mary may have had such an impression, but now that she's hanging with Alberta she may be thinking that they're not so bad. And they know so much about the Bible!! (ha!) She may need to hear your story. If you choose to tell her, go calm, avoid being bitter and she'll listen better (yes I know it'll be hard). And go from there. I think many people are sucked in 'cuz they just don't know the truth. You do. Good luck and God bless.

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of the earmarks of the society is it's anti-message. Anti-Christmas, Anti-Smoking, Anti-Fun. The world is an awful place, and the WTS is the only refuge in this cruel world. You hate what the WTS stands for and what Mary is doing, but if you go in both barrels with another anti-message, you are leaving your neigbour with nothing. The best guerilla warfare is to be for something.

If I were you, I would start with a plate of Christmas cookies.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

hi trot; i say talk to mary and invite her for a study with you .. tell her your story.. don't be shy let out all you know about the wt.. blow the wt right out of the box... before the mind control sets in .. this is the most important thing...not to lose her mind... if she insists to keep studying with the jw's offer to go to a wt study with her... when mary see's how they act with you ...at that point she will see how they will treat her when she's has questions... i like to ask the jw's to prove from what the wt was teaching from 1914 -1919 how jesus choose the wt at that time ...using watchtowers from that time only... it works every time... they will never study those old wt books... happy hunting,, be loving but be firm... the lord will be with you.....freedom in christ ......john

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I have an idea. Order them a free book of Mormon. The missionaries will bring it and confuse the living crap out of them.....they won't know which way to turn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit