Should America Start Closing the Borders?

by pettygrudger 38 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

My hubby & I had a debate tonight, so I'm kinda taking a poll....

My hubby says we should stop immigrations and start closing up the borders - except in cases of political asylum or a family member.

I say no.

What do you think?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

No... our country is built by the blood of immigrants. Everybody here comes from the bloodlines of outsiders (other than the Native Americans.) To close our borders goes against the very backbone of our country.

If that happened, might as well take down the Statue of Liberty, because she woudn't be worth a damn.

• heathen
    heathen

Everything changes eventually so the policy of imigration is bound too.I would have to say if they intend to keep terrorists out of here they will have to do something about letting people in.It's just common sense .

• Bhagavad
    Bhagavad

The Statue of Liberty was not meant to be a come-on for unrestrained illegal immigration. Why don't you read up on its history as a gift from France, MrMoe Schmoe, instead of just making an uneducated popularistic comment?

Edited by - Bhagavad on 17 November 2002 2:51:27

Edited by - Bhagavad on 17 November 2002 2:54:15

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

after september 11 i got into a heated argument with my mother about immigrants. i really thought the government should deport anyone who isn't a citizen. don't know that my thoughts have changed much.....call me igornant or whatever you want. i pay taxes to live here and follow the laws. if you want to do the same, welcome--if not, get the hell out!!

• willy_think
    willy_think

immigration has all ways been about cheep labor, form the Irish to the Mexicans. as long as there is profit in immigration, it won't stop. Look at Mexico for example, we could close the border but the farmers need Mexicans to pick, that's the way it is. The companies aren't about to let public opinion interfere with there profit margin, so I don't think it matters much what we think about it.

MrMoe,

The statue of liberty faces France, the birth place of liberty, to remind us we were not the first or the best. That "give me your......." crap was added to distract people from the real message of lady liberty.

Edited by - willy_think on 17 November 2002 3:28:14

• jelly
    jelly

I think immigration should be altered not eliminated. I think a county should think about its best interest in matters like these. What I would like to see is immigration being driven by what amount would best benefit the American economy. In short, the number of immigrants let in would be based on the American economy and its need for workers. I think we should develop a foreign workers program to stop the illegal movement of people from Mexico to America, and individuals that stay out of trouble for five years then can be citizens. I would also severely limit the number of immigrants from certain countries (guess which ones).

Terry

• Simon
    Simon

Things like immigartion controls only affect the innocent. The criminals know how to work the systems to get round them as Sep 11 demonstrated.

A bit like locks which keep honest people out but are just a minor inconvenience for criminals.

• JH
    JH

This is a free country, and thats what makes this place great. But in a time of trouble for external sources, the gouvernment has to take harsh actions to stop infiltrators with weapons of mass distruction. Difficult question to answer, but the borders have to stay open for trade at least.

• Perry
    Perry

No, we should simply enforce the laws that are already on the books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit