ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO

by Mary 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Larc, I think you're questions are pretty narrow minded......you're asking these questions with OUR technology in mind.

How long does it take to travel from New York to London? On the Concorde, it takes 3 1/2 hours. How much food would you have to supply to get there? Well, I figure each passenger probably gets a few drinks and one meal.

Now; go back in time 300 years and talk to someone who traveled from England to America. How long did it take them to get there? Probably 2 or 3 weeks. How much food did they have to take? Well, lots. Enough for each person to eat 3 meals a day for 2 or 3 weeks.

Try explaining to these people who lived 300 years ago, that you had the technology to cover the same distance in only 3 1/2 hours and you only needed one meal. They simply couldn't comprehend such a thing and would probably have you burnt at the stake.

Just because mankind hasn't developed the technology yet to travel great distances in space, doesn't mean it can't be done or that another civilization hasn't done it. I saw Stephen Hawking on a documentary a while ago, talking about the possibility of space travel. The jest of it was: if you could create or use a wormhole in space, travel to distant planets would become a reality. Obviously, we have not developed the technology yet to do such a thing, but like I said: that doesn't mean someone else hasn't.

Assuming that we are the only one's in the universe is parallel to the Catholic Church's midevel belief that the earth was the center of the universe.

• heathen
    heathen

Put me down as a skeptic on this one . I think they find nothing and the government already gave a totally good explaination of what was going on. Save the wormhole theories for science fiction please. If the universe is infinite then everything is the center of the universe, theoretically.I just get so tired of people trying to convince us skeptics that there is something wrong with our reasoning and that somehow we are missing out on something extraordinary worthy of our time and resources .There is no solid evidence to support any belief in extra terrestrials flying around in space crafts and doing nothing but creating contrevercy and making people wealthy from writing some hokey encounter stories.I am a huge science fiction fan but in cases like this you just have to separate wheat from the chaff.

• SYN
    SYN

Roswell was a diversion.

• Berean
    Berean

There is obvious evidence of UFO activity on Earth but there is clearly contrived cover-up by a government conspiracy to detract attention from the very real presence of aliens RIGHT HERE ON EARTH. You can see evidence of this everywhere. But the most damning evidence is detailed right here http://www.nps.gov/moru/ As you can see, there is a mountain in the obscure town of Keystone South Dakota that has been transformed to appear to be the images of PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, a sure sign that aliens have been visiting America for thousands of years, and are attempting to communicate through the sophisticated and utterly alien technology of CARVING MOUNTAINS. The government is attempting to cover this up by claiming that Gutzon Borglum, AN OBSCURE ARTIST WITH AN ALIEN SOUNDING NAME, carved this mountain. Clearly, such a work is actually an attempt to communicate with humans through the medium of the environment, demonstrating HOW MUCH ALIENS CARE about the Earth and wanting to protect it.

Here is other evidence

http://www.nhparks.state.nh.us/ParksPages/franconianotch/oldman.html

Be very careful with this information. The government would like to keep it very quiet.

Berean

• larc
    larc

Mary, since when is it narrow minded to ask questions, and why do you have to use such terms in the first place? I will ask again. How far is the nearest star that is docuemented to have a planet around it? Assuming speeds near the thoretcial limit, how long would it take to get here? Now, I have to ask another question. What is a worm hole, and how would we recognize it?

• SYN
    SYN

Larc: Your question is indeed a valid one, with several answers, so to speak.

First off, let's limit ourselves to a discussion of technology which humans know about and could theoretically duplicate in the near future. Say, an ion drive, a light-weight device which could continously (SP?) accelerate a spacecraft for weeks, if not months, and then do the same in the opposite direction for deceleration. Even if only a tiny thrust was applied by said ion drive, over a period of time that long in the vacuum of space it would add up, and eventually the spacecraft would reach a "relavistic" velocity, which is a fancy way of saying that it would get pretty close to the speed of light. Of course, according to our current understanding of the Universe, which may change at any time, the closer you get to the speed of light, the more energy you need to go faster. Thus, the spacecraft would only be able to travel at a large fraction of the speed of light (or, C as it's called), and never actually reach it.

As a vehicle goes faster, relativity would come into play. Relative to the star it's travelling towards and Earth, this spacecraft would be travelling at an enormous speed - so fast that time would slow down on the spacecraft. Of course, if you were looking from Earth, it would merely seem like things were slowing down on board the space craft, but in actuality it's all relative, so the people on the spacecraft would experience time speeding up around them.

This is convenient, because it means that if you go sufficiently close to the speed of light, the time spent on the spacecraft can become very small. Thus, the need for food and supplies would be greatly diminished.

Solar sails are another interesting technology that is almost in our grasp, because they could theoretically achieve these kinds of speed, and the nifty things is that they can decelerate easily too.

Another thing: If there were "aliens", consider the fact that they would in all probability be VERY different from us - in fact it is doubtful that they would in fact follow the same pattern as life on Earth. We might not even be able to acknowledge them as living. See what I'm getting at? They might not need food for interstellar travel at all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit