Do you have many friends?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• jack2
    jack2

When I was younger, I had a lot of neighborhood friends...ah, the good ol days. Now, with decreased activity as a jw, my friends, in terms of people I actually do stuff with, are basically non-existent. I have about 4 jws that I would consider close friends, but we seldom do anything together. Moving to a different Hall about a year ago meant seperating from those friends, while I've made no new friends at the present Hall. Acquaintances yes, but not friends.

Online, I've made some friends, and that really helps. I've made two really good friends whom I met elsewhere online (we have never discussed jws - I consider them fortunate never to have had to experience the whole jw thing) and we've had friendships going on three years now. Of course, the only thing lacking is that we've never met, and I wish we could.

I've met several very good friends here too, and we keep in touch mostly by IM, with e-mail used a bit too. A phone call here or there and even a snail-mail item or two makes it feel even closer. Still in all, I really wish I could actually spend some time with these friends personally.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I've got friends I haven't even 'used' yet!

Outaservice

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

I live in a small community and work in the computer industry. Over the past decade I have truly bonded with my fellow geeks in the area. I have a group of about a dozen or so that I socialize regularely with. I must admit a lot of our lives centers around computers and the internet, and all social gatherings tend to be planned via email and instant messages. These are a truly diverse group of individuals who's beliefs and intrests vary across the spectrum. In time of need or cellibration, we can all count on each other to be there. This was what I was looking for when I was studying with the Witnesses but could not find. I was a bit chagrined when I found that these wordly people that I had been surrounded with had more love to give than the group of phony's I was trying to become part of.

Anton

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I can say that making friends has always been easy since leaving the JW's - but maintaining long term relationships with friends have been difficult. When you're entire world is cut out from under your feet, its kinda hard to want to learn to trust others again. There's always a sense that it might get taken away again....if that makes any sense.

• ugg
    ugg

no,,,,i do not have any friends,,,,,

• Jesika
    Jesika

Since leaving the JW's, I have had very few friends. I don't expect anyone to be around for a long time. I have had people in my life that I am glad to have met and have in my life at the time.

I don't have any "friends" that have lasted more than a yr. I either move on or just move or they do the same. I can say that I try to be the best kind of friend to the people who I would like to be friends with for as long as they will allow. I guess I tend not to get too attached, cause in the back of my mind----------one day they will be gone too. I wish I was wrong about that, but time and again it has proved to be true. I just try to be there for them while they are in my life. The only friend I have that I know won't leave me anytime soon is my son. I find alot of comfort in knowing that, and I try to make sure he won't see the need to keep me out of his life ever.

I am not trying to be a pesimist, but just relaying my own experience.

I have made alot of friends here, that I hope to have for a long time. *crossing fingers*

I am a very outgoing person and have no problems making friends, but for some reason, like the seasons, they change or go.

I sometimes wonder if it is me, and that I can't completely trust someone with my secrets or thoughts. Being raised a JW, it is hard to find someone who understands why I feel and do or see things the way I do. Could that be why I don't have friends?? I have very few friends, but most I feel would be there for me have families or careers and don't have alot of time, or they are far away. I guess that is why I am here so much. I love to help people and to get to know people. This forum has given me a place to do both.

I love you guys,

Jesika

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

one thing that i truly hate about the jw's is them always instilling thier sh*tty ideas,trust only jw's and no one else. well being raised a jw. thats what i always believed and did.and unfortunantly now its very hard to get and keep friends.i just moved to this town so i am relying on my fiance for friends,but still i personally have no friends at all. i have aquantices(sp),but no friends...(flesh and blood friends that is)...but i have you guys and that counts for a whole lot.now only if you guys lived near me it'd be alot better.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

ugg, I wish you lived closer. I would be happy to be your friend.

• kelpie
    kelpie

I do not have that many at the moment but slowly I am building it up up

• JH
    JH

I had quit a few friends in New York,where I grew up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit