Jesus Chastises Pharisees for not Killing Children

by Faraon 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faraon
    Faraon

Jesus Chastises Pharisees for not Killing Children

We can see that Christians, and religions in general do only as much as allowed by secular governments.

Here we see a fine example of the love of Jesus for children when he chastises his adversaries for not following the law of jehovah and stoning to death children who curse their parents.

How loving are the provisions of big J and little J!!!

Matthew 15:3-4 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God said, 'Honor your father and mother'[1] and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[2]
    Footnotes
    15:4 Exodus 20:12; Deut. 5:16
    15:4 Exodus 21:17; Lev. 20:9

Mark 7: 9-13 And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[1] your own traditions! 10For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother,'[2] and, 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[3] 11But you say that if a man says to his father or mother: 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is Corban' (that is, a gift devoted to God), 12then you no longer let him do anything for his father or mother. 13Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."
    Footnotes
    7:9 Some manuscripts set up
    7:10 Exodus 20:12; Deut. 5:16
    7:10 Exodus 21:17; Lev. 20:9

• gumby
    gumby

Well, I heard through the grapevine that when Jesus took off from his parents and was teaching in the temple, and his parents finally found him they said...."you had us worried sick" then Jesus said..."didn't you know I would be in my fathers house" that Joseph wanted to kick his little butt for just being a smart arse!

Actually you have a good point there. Hopefully pomegranite will read this and give you a full detailes answer. He always does his best.

• TR
    TR

Was he really talking about kids?

TR

• Faraon
    Faraon

TR,

Actually, little J was talking about anyone cursing their parents, whether young or old. I call my son and daughters "my children" even though they range in age from 8 to 33.

It would not hurt me any less to have my 33-year old stoned to death than the youngest.

Cursing me by any of my children would not merit the death penalty. "sticks and bones may break my bones, but words don't"

Could we try maybe concilliation or even spanking first?

• thepreacher
    thepreacher

What an arrogant example of taking scripture out of context! It appears you have learned much from Watchtower writers! You belched:

We can see that Christians, and religions in general do only as much as allowed by secular governments.

Here we see a fine example of the love of Jesus for children when he chastises his adversaries for not following the law of jehovah and stoning to death children who curse their parents.

How loving are the provisions of big J and little J!!!

Matthew 15:3-4 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God said, 'Honor your father and mother'[1] and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[2]

Let's see what the WHOLE passage context is:

Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!" Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

Even you can see the context a little better now, can't you?

The Jews were nit-picking with their oral tradition and Jesus quoted the passage as a rebuttal to their obvious hypocrisy, which you may be able to identify with.

For God said, `Honor your father and mother' and `Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.' But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, `Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,' he is not to `honor his father ' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

How you see the rest of the context, don't you?

You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: "`These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.' " Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him `unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him `unclean.'"

Take that last paragraph to heart.

The Preacher

Edited by - thepreacher on 16 November 2002 22:29:26

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

This has got to be the winner of "The Most Stupid Nonsensical Jesus Attack That Ever Was!" Award.

IW

• gumby
    gumby

OK...let's ask it a different way.

Jesus was under Law until he fullfilled it correct?

Suppose his half brother James would have spoken against his parents.....called down evil upon them.

Would Jesus have honored his stoning from his parents of his brother?

• heathen
    heathen

Sounds like oral sex is ok then .but seriously I think it would be basic hygiene to wash before and after you eat.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

First of all, Jesus Christ was God in the Flesh. He was the very fulfillment of the Law -- Jesus is the One who gave the Law.

Jesus never sinned, and everything He did was perfect.

Check out the following Verses:

John 8:2: Now very early in the morning, He came again into the Temple, and all the people came to Him. He sat down, and taught them.
    John 8:3: The Scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery. Having set her in the midst,
    John 8:4: they told Him, "Teacher, we found this woman in adultery, in the very act.
    John 8:5: Now in our Law, Moses commanded us to stone such. What then do You say about her?"
    John 8:6: They said this testing Him, that they might have something to accuse Him of. But Jesus stooped down, and wrote on the ground with His finger.
    John 8:7: But when they continued asking Him, He looked up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her."
    John 8:8: Again He stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground.
    John 8:9: They, when they heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning from the oldest, even to the last. Jesus was left alone with the woman where she was, in the middle.
    John 8:10: Jesus, standing up, saw her and said, "Woman, where are your accusers? Did no one condemn you?"
    John 8:11: She said, "No one, Lord." Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."

So, I think that might help you understand more about Jesus Christ.

• Scully
    Scully

Undisfellowshipped writes:

Jesus never sinned, and everything He did was perfect.

Check out the following Verses:

John 8:2: Now very early in the morning, He came again into the Temple, and all the people came to Him. He sat down, and taught them.
    John 8:3: The Scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery. Having set her in the midst,
    John 8:4: they told Him, "Teacher, we found this woman in adultery, in the very act.
    John 8:5: Now in our Law, Moses commanded us to stone such. What then do You say about her?"
    John 8:6: They said this testing Him, that they might have something to accuse Him of. But Jesus stooped down, and wrote on the ground with His finger.
    John 8:7: But when they continued asking Him, He looked up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her."
    John 8:8: Again He stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground.
    John 8:9: They, when they heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning from the oldest, even to the last. Jesus was left alone with the woman where she was, in the middle.
    John 8:10: Jesus, standing up, saw her and said, "Woman, where are your accusers? Did no one condemn you?"
    John 8:11: She said, "No one, Lord." Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."

If the Pharisees "found this woman in adultery, in the very act", they also must have found the man she was doing it with. Why didn't they bring both the man and the woman to be tried?? The Law required the same punishment for both parties. Why were the Pharisees so hell-bent on stoning the woman, but not the man who was caught with her? Was it one of their own that they were protecting??

It's too bad so many JWs don't show the same kind of merciful spirit that Jesus did in this passage.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit