I bought a Xmas Tree

by In_between_days 11 Replies latest jw friends

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Yesterday, I did something I would have never thought in a million years id be doing: My husband and I went out and bought a xmas tree! We spent yesterday decorating it, and setting up the lights. I t looks beautiful in our loungeroom and we are really proud of it!

I have not been to one single meeting in three years, and its my very first xmas. I spent all last night just looking at this tree, and thinking about how good it looks, how happy I am, and how much ive changed. I cant help but feel a little guilty about it though.

Next, I get a call from my JW parents, they are coming over to visit. I am faced with a dilemma; I dont want to cause another conflict over something like this, things are just getting good between us. At the moment I am inclined to put the tree in another room while they are here; hide it from them. But then I think, why? Its my house, my life, I am entitled to have an xmas tree in my home. Any advice on this situation?

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

Leave the Tree up! Tell them this is your house and they need to mind there own business. Keep us posted on what happens

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Leave it there. You'll have to face the inevitable sooner or later so get it over with.

Let me tell you something about christmas trees while we're on the subject. It ain't the tree that's important, it's what's under it. The cheapest and smallest tree always stands taller and prouder with more gifts under it. Gifts are fertilizer for xmas trees so feed the hell out of that baby and enjoy your first christmas.

Mike.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Tell them you are only following the tradition of the 1914 generation when they were allowed to have trees for their Brooklyn Christmas parties.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Congratulations on your new Christmas Tree!

We just bought our tree, too! Can't wait to decorate it with the kids!

• fairy
    fairy

well, this christmas will be a first for us...we will be moving away interstate and staying with my husbands sister and that will be a first christmas that we have....i have always liked the tinsel and other decorations!

• Francois
    Francois

Keep the tree. Get rid of anyone who would make an issue of it. Life is short. Enjoy! And long live a Pogo Christmas

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
    Walla walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
    Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
    Swaller dollar cauliflower alley'garoo!
    Don't we know archaic barrel,
    Lullaby lilla boy, Louisville Lou?
    Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
    Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
    Polly welly cracker n' too-da-loo!
    Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
    Antelope Cantaloup, 'lope with you!

Hunky Dory's pop is lolly gaggin' on the wagon,
    Willy, folly go through!
    Chollie's collie barks at Barrow,
    Harum scarum five alarum bung-a-loo!

Duck us all in bowls of barley,
    Ninky dinky dink an' polly voo!
    Chilly Filly's name is Chollie,
    Chollie Filly's jolly chilly view halloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
    Double-bubble, toyland trouble! Woof, Woof, Woof!
    Tizzy seas on melon collie!
    Dibble-dabble, scribble-scrabble! Goof, Goof, Goof!

$0.02

Edited by - francois on 16 November 2002 21:15:48

Edited by - francois on 16 November 2002 21:17:13

• finnrot
    finnrot

I remember going to x-mas tree farms with my children and excitedly running around with my little girls, looking for the perfect tree to bring home. I was so happy to be sharing my first x-mases with them. I think I was as excited as they were. It blow to be a witness kid at x-mas time. You know what? It just blows to be a witness.

-fin

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

You know your parents better than anyone here. Are they the type to throw a huge fit and have a knock down drag out battle, or are they going to keep their comments to themselves.

My sis had a tree up when my parents came to visit once. They didn't say anything. I am sure they did to each other when they left. But that's the way they are. They aren't going to fight over something like that and they know my sis and I are pretty much lost causes.

Personally, if things were really rocky before, and they are getting better, I would consider hiding it. Look at it this way, if your parents were fundamental PETA people, and abhored meat, and they came over and you served meat and offered no vegitarian alternative and said "Look, it's my house, and we eat meat here, so deal". That is your right. It is you house. But it doesn't really take in to consideration their feelings.

Again the choice is yours. I dunno what I would do. A tree isn't like you are craming it in their face, but they might see at that way. I know I am gonna catch heat on this, but I am all about being respectful. We hate it when they stuff their JW teachings and activites in our faces, so is it fair for us to cram our "worldy" activities in theirs? Just a thought.

Like I said, you know your parents best, if it's just gonna cause heartache and hysteria, let it go, it is just a tree.

But on that note...I would love to have a tree and can't wait until I move out so I can get one. Like I said, I have no idea what I would do in your place.

• Jade
    Jade

I would leave the tree up. The first time my mom saw one in our house, I thought she was going to be sick but it's my house and she just has to deal with it. Congrats though on your tree. My first Christmas I started with a little bitty one and the next year we had a ten foot one. It was great!

Jade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit