Monty Python and the British

by thewiz 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• thewiz
    thewiz

what do you brits have to say about Monty Python's Flying Circus and the inidivdual actors?

do you take offense? are you proud? indifferent?

personnally i've enjoyed Monty Python immensely for years.

• ballistic
    ballistic

To be honest, Monty Python is not everyone's cup of tea. It has more of a cult following. I enjoyed it in my teenage years but I now get quite embarrassed by the amount of international attention it receives. There is some brilliant British comedy around at the moment however. My personal opinion is that Monty Python's success was largely due to it's novelty and shock factor.

• Matty
    Matty

It was revolutionary in the late 60's when it was first broadcast, but I don't think it has aged that brilliantly.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Are you here looking for an argument???

Thats 2 doors down, sorry.

Pope

• Simon
    Simon

Like most cutting edge comedy, there were moments of brilliance and lots of utter madness.

Some hillarious, some not.

I think the films, Life of Brian and the Holy Grail were probably their finest moments.

Of course many went on to other things:

Cleese did lots of stuff, funniest of all being Fawlty Towers
    Palin is now a travel reporter
    Can't remember the name of the guy who directed

• ballistic
    ballistic

Terry Gillingham?

• Matty
    Matty
    Life of Brian and the Holy Grail were probably their finest moments

I agree Simon, two works of genius.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I have the Life of Brian on tape. This is my favourite scene, I can watch it again and again:

Englishman.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Many of the sketches are still funny and worth watching. There are the odd moments that are cringe worthy, but they were cutting edge at the time. A lot of the humour was "of its day" and should be viewed that way..

The ex-Python crowd are a little unfunny now. I think for years after Python they had a certain legacy to try and live up to and in many ways failed to do so.

John Cleese had his finest moment in Faulty Towers. Michael Pallin floundered (IMO) after the film Brazil. Eric Idle aside from the odd bit-part has had no great impact upon film or TV, the film Baron Munchausen (sure I spelt that wrong!) was pretty cool visually and Idle played a decent role.

Terry Gilliam however has always been an immense visionary. Respect! From his cartoons to his excellent film direction. Brazil & Twelve Monkeys being my faves.

The other guy, whose name has slipped out of my mind at present is probably makes an entertaining after dinner speaker.

The problem with Python in the UK (at least I think it became a problem) was the adopting of the show by most students through the 70s/80s as their cult club! Endless recitals of classic sketches to the point of utter boredom. The Python crew being shouted at as they walked through Tescos by a spotty teenager who was attempting a funny walk.... etc. You could argue they had bought this upon themselves or it was a form of respect, but in my books, it became bloody irritating and completely destroyed its appeal to me.

I think today, at least within the youth crowd, Monty Python is a surreal show that appeals to the older generation. I would think that newer shows like The Fast Show, The Office, The League Of Gentlemen, Pheonix Nights, etc ... have now taken its place.

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

E-man - that would be my pick of the scenes in Life of Brian, narrowly edging out the one where Pilate frees a condemned man "fwee Bwian" baaahahahahahaha!

I think my Monty Python pick would be the Yorkshiremen though. "I had to lick road clean, 'wit tongue" "LUXURY!!!" - Love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit