current or recent jw's? especially elders.... what

by surferdude 12 Replies latest jw friends

• surferdude
    surferdude

what were or are the qualifications for certain "responsibilities" around the hall? our hall literally has ONLY ms or elders --- attending, doing stage set up, handling book counter/service desk, and reading wt and closing the service meeting with song and prayer.... the only exception is the young son of a high ranking elder at our hall... they put the restrictions that a ms has to meet on these activities, i am regular, but not active enough in the service although i assured them i was "doing the best i could" (3 - 5 hours a month) but they acted like that was terrible.... we had a heated discussion for 30 minutes...

sd

it's hot and the waves are high

• proandcon
    proandcon

In the halls I attended, there also were a large number of elders and MS. Typically, they were assigned all the duties as they had already "reached out" and were now able to be "rewarded" with "priveleges". In other halls lacking in so many servants, the elder body would next look to select those who might appear to be reaching out. Thus, the standards could be lowered because of need and availability. The WTS would "prefer" that all duties be handled by "qualified" publishers. The definition of qualified is subject to interpretation. This is all before nepotism is factored in. I've seen "qualified" 12 year old kids handling mikes, seating people, and doing sound in some congregations.

• blondie
    blondie

First, surferdude, do you want to be "used" as a MS or in those activities you mentioned?

All those activities can only be done by a brother in good standing (not recently reinstated or reproved) in the congregation, no sisters. If there is only one or no MS in the congregation, usually the elders will use a brother who is not yet a MS if his field service hours are around 5 monthly. Otherwise, the elders have to do ALL these tasks. These brothers usually work under the direction of an elder/MS in theory.

I have seen congregations have brothers pray, read the WT, act as attendants who are not elders or MS.

Things are getting desperate regarding MS. Many congregations have only 1 or 2 and no prospects on the horizon. It was covered extensively at the recent circuit assembly that parents must set this as a goal and the elders must work in developing brothers into MS candidates. Too much entertainment and materialism were cited as factors why brothers are not reaching out. It is so desperate that a new position was developed, Special Assistant to the Book Study Overseer. They can conduct the book study and take the group out in the field ministry but are not qualified to be a MS.

So may be it would be different for you SD if you were in a desperation zone.

Blondie

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Have one for me surferdude - surf's small today - but after reading that I think I'll just go and check again.............

• rem
    rem

I think it's under the discretion of the Presiding Overseer. In my old congregation, only MS's and Elders were allowed to do any 'priveleged responsibility' other than handling mic's and assisting as an attendant. Other congregations I've attended had different policies. It just depends.

rem

• Kep
    Kep

Dude,

It's a who you know outfit.

So, you gotta brown nose some elder who has been assigned responsibilty for a specifc duty in the KH. Also, you gotta show yourself are zealous hardworking spiritual man.

Make meaningful comments at the meeting, also you gotta do volunteer talks if they need one. All this adds brownie points, not just your preaching, but other ways you can contribute to the cong.

Obviously if you were an elders son you wouldn't have this problem...

Kep

• metatron
    metatron

Before I resigned, I commented on this to the C.O. - that the 'B' team wasn't in place.
    Young men aren't reaching out. He tried a 'quick fix' of talking to them and demonstrating
    some of the responsibilities. It didn't work and I'm surprized to see elders running the
    sound and mikes in many congregations where young men used to do it.

Of course, with so many young people leaving, getting df'd, leading 'double lives'
    there may not be much to choose from in some areas.

metatron

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

On LI the congregations are large, but those in Office" are few. If you were a baptised bro in good standing you were a attendant or doing the mic. Most cong have only 3-4 elders and about the same MS with about 130-150 publishers. I have heard thru family that attendance is way down

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Soon the sisters will be handling these lesser responsibilities.

funny you should say that jj because I was in a little congregation in northern nsw Australia and as there was only a couple of brothers (one elder) my sister and I used to do the microphones.

Another sister did all the accounts and I wrote out all the talk slips.

Our CO said that this congregation had the best looking microphone attendants in the cirucit!!

I loved doing the microphones as you didnt have to concentrate on what was getting talked about.. only whos name was called..

Kelps (who was a damn fine looking female microphone attendant)

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Kelpie touched on a "fact". Yes, some congregations use sisters if there aren't enough brothers to go around and "run the show". Of course, the WT Society would not let women have any part in "teaching". However, they have been used to help in other regards. For example, I've seen the women (sisters) run the magazine/literature counter. They also have assisted with the accounts. There were occasions where the sisters even read the paragraphs for the Book Study. But this is only in the worst cast senerio where there aren't enough men (brothers) to do everything all at once. I had been attending Kingdom Halls where there were only 3 elders and 2 ministerial servants. There were also Kingdom Halls where I had visited which had similiar circumstances. I found this especially true here in Japan. The ratio of men to women is staggaring. (Perhaps 1 male for every 20 females). When I was living in America, it was quite common to hear some of the brothers always insinuate that Japan is a prime picking ground for them to find nice young "spiritual" sisters to be their future wives. (Many of the JW women in Japan are in the pioneer work and are, by cultural aspects, very submissive and obedient).

Whoops! Sorry.....I'm running off on a different tangent than what you had originally asked.

Alligator Wisdom (Brother "Not Exerting Vigorously")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit