Tornado hit my brothers home

by Tinkerbell4125 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

My brother and his family are just thankful to be alive! Sunday night with tornado warnings out through the state of Tn. About 7:30 that night, my brother went out on the porch to look at the lightning. He said it was like a strobe light with all the flashing and then right in front of him he saw a tornada in the distance. When he saw his neighbors car lift up like a feather and the house explode, he ran inside, grabbed his 2 children, his wife and they hit the bathtub. He layed on top of them and prayed for their safety. He said that his ears began to pop from the presure and the house began to shake. Then the windows blew out and then the roof came off. Next thing he knew it was all over. Said it lasted about 6 seconds. People in the neighborhood were running around screaming, looking for family members that were missing. He had a rental house right next door. It was completely gone! There were 5 people in that home and the little 10 year old boy that lived there died. They found him about 100 yards away. His mother and brother are still in the hospital in critical condition. Many people are still missing. You just can't imagine the devastion unless you are right there to see what the damage looks like. It's like a bomb exploded. In my newphews bedroom, a 2x4 was sticking through the wall like a toothpick. 2x4's were sticking in the ground that had fallen from the sky. It was totally unreal. CC and I were with them yesterday and helped them go through their things and clean up yesterday.

I just wanted to add something that really touched me yesterday. There is plenty of good in this world. Two men showed up yesterday and started putting a new roof on my brothers house. We didn't know them, they just wanted to help. After they finished the roof and started to leave, *worked all day* my brother offered to pay them and they wouldn't take any money. Just said, *Do something for someone when they are in need.* Reminded me of that movie, *Pay it Forward*

Needless to say, yesterday was a day of tears and emotions.

Edited by - Tinkerbell4125 on 12 November 2002 9:42:35

Edited by - Tinkerbell4125 on 12 November 2002 9:43:46

Edited by - Tinkerbell4125 on 12 November 2002 15:11:52

Edited by - Tinkerbell4125 on 12 November 2002 15:12:33

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Tinker: Sorry to hear about this. It is unusual for this to happen in the eastern part of the country. The midwest is the normal place. By the way, it is spelled: Tornado.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

I can't spell! That's that j.w education for ya!!!

• gumby
    gumby

WoW TB,

Thats an Amazing story of survival for your brother and his family. The house next to his gone and he and family are alive next door! I'll have to watch it on the news.

Sorry for your brothers loss but glad you were able to experience goodness from everyday people.......it gives you a more satisfaction regarding the human race and the love they can have.

Edited by - Gumby on 12 November 2002 9:56:13

• Angharad
    Angharad

Wow thats scary

Glad your brother and family and ok, although their home is a mess the main thing is they are safe, hope they can get the house fixed up soon.

What a tragedy for the family next door

Edited by - angharad on 12 November 2002 9:59:42

Edited by - angharad on 12 November 2002 10:1:50

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

glad to hear your brother and his family are ok, AND YOU GUYS TOO, a lot of us were wondering how you two were doing, sorry to hear of the 10 year old boy, our youngest is 11, my heart goes out to the families. take care, hugs from Ima

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Those of us living in the Texas Panhandle are well aware of the destruction and tornado can cause. In 1995 one came thru our neighborhood about a block from us. The storm produced a noise we will never forget, even though we were in a storm cellar. The freight train description everyone comes up with is an accurate one. Fortunately, it wasen't close enough to cause ear popping from the pressure changes these storms cause.

I am happy to hear your brother is ok, Tink. Houses can be replaced, loved ones cannot.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Sorry to hear of the destruction and death there. We very seldom have a tornado in our area, but about 4 or 5 years ago one touched down in a little town about 8 miles from here. It tore it up and killed a couple of people. They were really lucky that only 2 people died. It is an old town and several old brick buildings were devastated. I was working at an Advance Auto parts store that day in Eden NC and went out to look at the storm clouds, there was some hail and the clouds in the direction of the little town of Stoneville looked strange, someone came in a little later and told us that Stoneville was torn up bad. My daughter was traveling near Danville Va and the same storm caused a tornado near where she was driving, she was really scared. It was in a wooded area so no houses were hurt. I hope you brother can get things back to normal, if that's possible after his experience.

Ken P.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Gave me chills to read that Tink. I can imagine it was a day for tears and being thankful. How terrible for the family/s of the little boy and the others who are missing.

How wonderful to find compassion alive and well within our reach. Must have given you and your family a time for pause.

You and your family are in my thoughts as well as those who have lost loved ones.

Hugs sent your way,

Cassi

Edited by - cassiline on 12 November 2002 11:22:38

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

When I was kid we lived in Texas and a tornado hit us (Wiped out a trailer park 3 miles away)we barely made it to the cellar.The loudest noise i ever heard...terrifing! Now i live in Cali..and have been in some earthquakes...give me an earthquake anytime over a tornado!
    Sometimes the worst of situations can bring out the best in people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit