Wall Street Journal on JWs

by teenyuck 11 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I recently subscribed to the Wall Street Journal online.

I found an editorial written by a senior editor, who was a JW!!

Article 2 of 14
    WEEKEND JOURNAL
    Taste -- Houses of Worship:
    Door-to-Door, Disturbingly

By Jason L. Riley

06/21/2002
    The Wall Street Journal
    Page W15
    (Copyright (c) 2002, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

In an interview published just after his death last month, Harvard paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould said: "Life is too short to debate with the Jehovah 's Witnesses who ring your bell and want to talk for two hours."

Mr. Gould would know. The evolutionary theorist counted the sect among his fiercest critics. And apparently at least some Supreme Court justices share his sentiment, along with millions of American householders. But that doesn't mean the court's ruling this week -- the one reasserting the constitutional right of Witnesses to annoy their neighbors with door-to-door proselytizing -- was wrong.

Monday's 8-1 decision struck down a Stratton, Ohio, ordinance requiring anyone going door-to-door to register with authorities and get a permit. Writing for the majority, Justice John Paul Stevens was unequivocal. "It is offensive," he wrote, "not only to the values protected by the First Amendment but to the very notion of a free society, that in the context of everyday public discourse a citizen must first inform the government of her desire to speak to her neighbors."

The court called the law, which covered both political and religious canvassing, a dramatic departure from our "constitutional tradition." Indeed, that tradition owes a lot to fringe groups like the Jehovah 's Witnesses, whose litigious pedigree dates back six decades and includes more than two-dozen Supreme Court rulings. Those precedents pepper the latest decision, and even the lone dissenter, Chief Justice William Rehnquist, didn't deny that the Stratton ordinance posed First Amendment problems.

I was raised a Witness and left voluntarily in my teens. I cringe at the ever-growing case law that links this particular group to these particular constitutional protections. The theory is sound, but the reality is maddening. The Witnesses themselves blend qualities of zealotry and authoritarianism at odds with the ideals of a democratic society.

The Witnesses, who claim six million members world-wide, are overseen by the Governing Body -- a small group of "anointed" men who profess an ability to channel instructions from God. They hold complete doctrinal authority and brook no dissent from the rank and file. (Although there have long been many blacks in the rank and file, only recently have they been allowed into the Governing Body.) Independent thinking is forbidden. Church members are required to turn in dissenters. Conformity is enforced with threats of shunning. That so much First Amendment precedent is put in the service of these pseudotheocratic dictators is unsettling, even if it is necessary.

Preoccupied with apocalyptic dates, Witnesses are criticized for changing course as their predictions go unrealized. But wrongheadedness is a part of their tradition. The sect began in Pennsylvania in the 1870s under Charles Taze Russell, who abandoned the Adventist movement after a prediction of Christ's second coming failed. Borrowing heavily from the teachings of Adventists and other date-obsessed sects, Russell formed his own movement, which would later adopt the name " Jehovah 's Witnesses."

Russell pointed to 1914 as the year that God would set up his kingdom on earth, displace all governments and destroy everyone except "Russellites" (as they were known at the time), who would inherit a paradise on earth and live forever. Russell died disappointed in 1916, and his successors have changed dates and predictions many times since.

Yet when members come knocking, the message they deliver is essentially the same. Join us or perish: The world as we know it will end any day now, and only Jehovah 's Witnesses will survive to live eternally in an earthly paradise.

Personally, I favor a wait-and-see approach, and I take comfort in knowing that at least two justices share my queasiness with the sect. A separate concurrence in Monday's ruling, written by Antonin Scalia and joined by Clarence Thomas, had just the right tone of resignation. "If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed."

---

Mr. Riley is a senior editorial page writer for the Journal.

(See related letters: "Letters to the Editor: For the Witnesses, Love Says It All" -- July 5, 2002)

And the responses from a JW reader in Atlanta and a WTS lawyer:

Article 1 of 14
    Letters to the Editor:
    For the Witnesses, Love Says It All

07/05/2002
    The Wall Street Journal
    Page A13
    (Copyright (c) 2002, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

Jason Riley alleges in his June 21 Houses of Worship column "Door to Door, Disturbingly" (Taste page, Weekend Journal), that "independent thinking is forbidden" among Jehovah 's Witnesses. I served at the world headquarters of Jehovah 's Witnesses in Brooklyn, N.Y., with more than 3,000 fellow witnesses and can assure you that each is truly an individual with all of the attributes that make being human so special. Our two guiding principles are that we would love Jehovah our God with our whole mind, heart and soul, and that we would love our neighbors as we do ourselves.

It is that love that compels us to engage in our ministry. If you think it is a challenge to take a few minutes out of your Saturday morning to hear an encouraging scriptural message, think how much harder it would be to spend your entire morning visiting people who, in many cases, did not appreciate your visit. Last year we spent about a billion hours world-wide giving voice to the Bible's beautiful message of salvation.

The fact that we have been overzealous in the past and hoped for the end of this system of things in 1914 and 1975 does not change God's divine purpose for making earth a paradise. It is not just Jehovah 's Witnesses who pray for this change. Why would Jesus have asked his followers to pray for an earthly paradise if it were never going to come about?

Scott Jackson

Atlanta

---

We were disappointed in the lack of respect accorded Jehova's Witnesses by Mr. Riley. Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. However, he is not entitled to incorrectly suggest that some Supreme Court justices share his biased view.

In discussing Watchtower v. Stratton, Mr. Riley wrongly suggests that Justices Scalia and Thomas share his "queasiness" with Jehovah 's Witnesses. The quote he took from Justice Scalia's concurring opinion referred not to Jehovah 's Witnesses but to the majority's hypothetical "other patriotic citizens." Justices Scalia and Thomas, in referring to Jehovah 's Witnesses, said: "Whereas the free-exercise claim, if acknowledged, would merely exempt Jehovah 's Witnesses from the licensing requirement, the free-speech claim exempts everybody, thanks to Jehovah 's Witnesses" (emphasis in original.) This statement is in line with the majority's point that "efforts of the Jehovah 's Witnesses to resist speech regulation have not been a struggle for their rights alone."

Philip Brumley

General Counsel

Paul D. Polidoro

Associate General Counsel

Watchtower

Patterson, N.Y.

(Mr. Polidoro aruged Watchtower v. Stratton before the Supereme Court and Mr. Brumley sat in court as co-counsel.)

• openminded
    openminded

Its ironic that the organization who works so hard to set the precedent for free speech, is in actuality, the most intollerent of those who choose to employ it. Simply amazing! om

Edited by - openminded on 11 November 2002 13:2:27

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

....a cult by any other name.......

CornerStone

• derrickb007
    derrickb007

Quote from the article:

"Our two guiding principles are that we would love Jehovah our God with our whole mind, heart and soul, and that we would love our neighbors as we do ourselves. It is that love that compels us to engage in our ministry."

Take away the reporting of time, the clapping when one becomes a pioneer, the mandatory hours required to become an elder, etc. and see how many are still willing to go out in service simply because they say that they love their neighbors.

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

I will have to write Mr. Jason L. Riley of the Wall Street Journal and thank him for his article. I didn't get the Wall Street in June but do now. And I think that the article is right on the mark. If the Witnesses feel that they "Can't get no respect" then maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe there is nothing to respect.() "Crackpots."() LMAO

The Judges say it all:

"If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed."

Besides how can anyone with a cool name like Jason ever be wrong.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

That whole debate about Stratton was just the dubs' persecution complex at work. They could have easily complied with the law and that compliance would not have been in conflict with God's their law.

Back in the 70's and early 80's cooler heads prevailed in our old congregation. Once there was a tornado and the accompanying request from authorities that everyone stay off the roads that night. Which meant the meeting that night was cancelled. My [step]dad and other elders told the congregation that the authorities didn't tell us that we couldn't hold any more meetings, they simply asked us for the sake of public safety to please not go to the meeting that night due to the tornado and in a case like that we obey the secular authorities.

Similarly, there was a small town in our congregation's territory. Butler, GA. Some of you may have heard of it or even been there (remember Turkburger?). Butler asked our congregation to please contact the police dept. and let them know when we'd be working door-to-door there. We all did and there were no problems. Not much response from the staunch Baptist residents, but no legal problems either. One hardline sister wouldn't notify police, which meant simply stopping by the police station and telling the friendly officer on duty you'd be knocking on doors. She was taken into custody after shaking her Bible at the officers who showed up to check out her door-to-door work. Fortunately, the police called the elders (yes, you read that correctly. This was small-town Georgia in the late 70's) and the matter was resolved with the sister being counseled to cooperate with the police in the future.

In Stratton, the dubs shook their Bibles at the authorities. They only had to obtain a [free, I believe] permit to go door-to-door. People these days are understandably uncomfortable with strangers knocking on their doors. The permits were a reassurance to the taxpaying and voting homeowners (foreign concept to many dubs) that the person at their door had checked out with the local law enforcement. If you lived in a city with such an ordinance would you open your door to someone without a permit? Is a robber or rapist going to go get such a permit, even if it is free? I don't know about you but if I didn't see a permit I'd have my shotgun in hand and the phone ready to dial 9-1-1.

What kind of witness did that Supreme Court case give to all of the householders in Stratton? Did the dubs even consider that? I kind of think they shot themselves in the foot with that one. I've got half a mind to write the GB and tell them as much, but we all know that no one can tell them they're wrong.

Back in that old congregation, one elder started a talk one time by saying "People are crazy!". Well he hit the nail on the head that time!

Mike.

Edited by - bendrr on 11 November 2002 18:57:37

• JT
    JT

What kind of witness did that Supreme Court case give to all of the householders in Stratton? Did the dubs even consider that? I kind of think they shot themselves in the foot with that one.

#########

while i understand your point, keep the following in mind, the local dubs didn't bring this case to court, this was done out of NY with the legal desk and they could give a rat A$$ about how the local jw will have to deal with the fallout- you see those boys in brooklyn will never knock on the door of anyone in that little town, sorta like most large corp that make decisions at the corp home office they could care less about the man on the front line,

wt starting laughing the moment they got thier hands on the new law, for they knew that case law was heavy on thier side,

the problem in this case was not the wt persay but the dumb A$$ lawyer for the city who allowed them to enact this law with out reviewing it first any first year law student would have seen it didn't have a snow ball chance in He!! of standing,

the comments made by the mayor were directly toward jw- i saw a copy early on of the new law and it had mentioned JW BY NAME real DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

so wt lawyers knew that these clowns had not done thier homework at all-

i wrote the mayor a letter tellling him he could have gotten the same results that he was looking for by doing what we have been doing in our subdivision

my wife is in charge of our Newsletter so we put a NOTICE in the Newsletter stating that the local congregtion of JW have a NEW PROGRAM CALL DO NOT CALL LIST and if you would like to OP-OUT of thier monthly and quarterly visist then be sure to let the next jw who stops by to put your home on thier op-out/ DO NOT CALL LIST

we informed the homeowners that this is a free service being offtered by the local jw for those who perfer not to be on the list

on my street almost everyone has signed up

i can only imagine how the BACK OF THAT TERRITORY card must look with all these homes DO NOT CALL listed

well i told the Mayor in a letter that his community could ask on a house hold basis to be included and the jw will then not visit

yes in other words use the WT OWN PROGRAMS AGAINST THEM and it don't cost anything

but now this town has forked over big bucks for some lawyer who is a clown and don't know the law and they still lost

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"That so much First Amendment precedent is put in the service of these pseudotheocratic dictators is unsettling, even if it is necessary."

That is a beautiful sentence.

• JustUs
    JustUs

Let's not forget the GB loves the bad press. It's exploited automatically to the followers that they are indeed Gods people because of "persecution" from SATANS WORLD!.....how sad......

• manon
    manon

When I was in the trenches and went door to door. Many people just didn't open. That always works. It works just fine for me now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit