Silent Witnesses — Australia

by Jools j 11 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I had not read this report before, so I thank Jools for bringing it up

The thread got me to realise that this child abuse issue just gets worse and worse. I could never have imagined that so many cases worldwide would come to light. It is still very sad indeed.

When I was secretary I remember having letters in the file that said that elders were to resist any attempt by the secular authorities to gain access to cong. records. In my naiveity I had believed it to be referring to times of persecution , not criminal investigation.

• nickpark
    nickpark

Silent WitnessesSeptember 22, 2002
    Reporter :Graham Davis
    Producer : Kirstine Lumb

Sunday reveals the extraordinary story of how the Jehovahs Witnesses in Australia routinely cover up cases of child abuse in their ranks and obstruct police investigations. In a disturbing new twist to the scandals that have enveloped mainstream churches, Sunday penetrates the highly secretive Watchtower and Bible Tract Society the official name of the Jehovahs Witnesses which claims some 60,000 adherents in Australia.

Child abuse victims speak out for the first time about how they were specifically instructed by church elders and overseers not to go to the police with their complaints. In one case Sunday investigates, the churchs failure to act on the complaints of one family resulted in up to 40 other children being molested by the same paedophile.

Simon kept his ordeal secret until it emerged that his younger brother was also being molested by Robert Souter. My brother had a nervous breakdown. It was horrific so my parents approached the church elders and told them what had happened. They were told they shouldnt go to the police but should pray more and leave it to Jehovah. Robert Souter was expelled from the congregation. But then six months later the family got some devastating news. Souter was reinstated. I just couldnt believe it, Simon said.

Simon Thomas tells Sunday: I know of ten people personally who were molested by Robert Souter but the police have told me the total number is around 40. If the Church had listened to my pleas, all of those kids could have been saved. I could have been saved too because Ive since discovered that before I was molested, a woman in the congregation had complained to elders that Robert Souter had interfered with her son and nothing was done.

Sunday allege that they were given detailed instructions by the Watchtower Society to obstruct police investigations into child abuse. Elders were told not to reveal to the authorities if a particular child abuser had confessed to his crimes and to do everything possible to prevent police from gaining access to church files. Former elder Jim Donald says: We were to resist every approach by the authorities to willingly give over information. Its seen as an attack against pure worship and Jehovahs name and so what they call theocratic warfare is to take place. That means we are in a battle situation with the state.

These former elders say Jehovahs Witnesses regard themselves as the only true representatives of God on earth. They live in what they call the truth. The rest of us live in the world a world they believe is run by Satan. This the elders allege - gives the Watchtower Society divine authority to impede police investigations and even lie to the courts.

Eventually Natalie could cope no longer and went to the police. I was very apprehensive but the police were just the most compassionate, wonderful lot of people. I got more caring and genuine concern from them than I got from any elder.

Sunday confronts the elder who Natalie first went to see, Maurice Hadley. He denies ever having told her not to go to the police, saying it is her word against his. But he tells Sunday it is not for him to judge Victor Webbs behaviour. Revealing that he still goes to visit his old tennis partner in prison, Hadley says: Thats between him and his God ultimately. I have never condoned that mans behaviour. I go to see him in jail about twice a year. Why do I do it? Well, dont you think people can change?

Sunday interviews a former lawyer for the Watchtower Society, Rev Warryn Stuckey, who defected from the Jehovahs Witnesses and is now an Anglican clergyman. Why they havent cooperated fully with the authorities suggests there is something they are protecting. If they are telling people not to go to the police, that can have the practical effect of perverting the course of justice.

Natalie Webb argues that there should be an official investigation into the Watchtower Society. It needs reform forced on it. Waiting for Jehovah doesnt work. Its definitely time that Governments cracked down on this organisation. I hate to think how many children are being abused now even as we speak. Former elder Jim Donald agrees. I think the organisation needs to have the lid taken off its activities. Young kids lives are being ruined.

In a statement to Sunday, the President of the Watchtower Society of Australia, Harold Viv Mouritz, declines to be interviewed but says: My inquiries indicate that the elders involved did not give instructions not to report the abuse to the police. Mr Mouritz denies all knowledge of the concept of theocratic warfare and expresses the churchs abhorrence of child abuse.

The Sunday program is continuing to investigate this story. If you have information that might help please email us or phone (02) 9965 2483.

Related links:

The official website of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

www.silentlambs.org: US based non-profit organisation dedicated to helping child sexual abuse victims from the Jehovah's Witnesses. They may provide counselling, legal, financial and other assistance. The site is run by a former Jehovah's Witness elder.

www.freeminds.org: Another non-profit organisation "keeping an eye on the Watchtower" (Jehovah's Witnesses). Not affiliated with any religious organisation. Their purpose is to educate the public about the methods that all cults use and how to combat them.

watchtower.observer.org: Information on the Jehovah's Witness organisation, including news, history, doctrines, letters from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society to The Bodies of Elders.

www.watchtowerinformationservice.org: Information on the Jehovah's Witness organisation including: Doctrine, "Watchtower Society vs the World", stories and biographies, child sexual abuse, racial and ethical issues, psychological issues, "The Watchtower Society and money", blood transfusions and other medical controversies, "how the Watchtower Society juggles with dates".

Cult Awareness and Information Centre - Australian support service.

Free in Christ ministries: An Australian non-denominational Christian counter-cult ministry providing information about the Jehovah's Witnesses "and other cults". Free In Christ Ministries arranges counselling for families and friends of cult members and former cult members themselves and conducts educational programs through local Church, youth and school groups.

Click here for a printer-friendly version.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit