How Did You Handle Spiritual Snobs?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My wife was speaking negatively about a sister, an elder's wife, because since I resigned as an elder, she does not give her the time of day. She said to me that Sister-------- is a "spiritual snob." I never heard this expression before. ( you see, my negativity is getting her to think). How have you dealt with someone that was a spiritual snob? Were you ever one?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Growing up, I was a spiritual snob. It came part and parcel of being an elder's daughter.

However, as I got older, a natural sense of fair play kicked in, and I realised that Jesus wasn't a spiritual snob.

I started trying to help out those who were considered "spiritually weak" by the congregation because I saw no need for them to be excluded from the congregation. The trouble was, because I was associating with them, then the spiritual snobs of the congregation saw me as spiritually weak!!!

• dsgal
    dsgal

The last congregation I was associated with was a very reserved bunch.If you weren't in the clique they didn't even acknowledge you.I was never invited to any of their get-togethers the whole year I went there.I think the main reason was that I was married to an unbeliever and they might have been afraid I would bring him with me.Anyhow,the way I handled it was just to drop out of the whole business.I don't think being snobbish is christian so they couldn't be the true religion.The congregation I am speaking of is Mesquite Central in Mesquite,Texas.Even the sister who studied with me wouldn't let me in on any get-togethers.I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to live in a world with people like that even if they were the true ones.Very,very,hurtful to always be left out.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

Even though I had to put in the requisite 5 hours a week of meetings, was a pariah in school (no holidays, etc.) and was miserable most of the time, I was never included in the congo clique because no one in my family was 'theocratic' enough.

I mean, my mom got her 4-8 hours/month in (can anyone say "one hour for a return visit, even tho the householder was not home??), but my father was "inactive" (translate: I'll go to the Sunday talk to keep peace but that's it,") we didn't have a book study in our home nor offer the house for field service, no one was invited for cocoa afterwards, my father hated socializing so we never had anyone over.

I was as much a pariah at the KH as I was in "the world." I fit in exactly... nowhere.

I remember once, in jr. high school, there was this one elder's daughter, she was practically worshipped at the hall because she was so "theocratic." I had just taken Beginning Spanish in school and I really liked it, so I ordered a Spanish "Truth" book and was psyched about reading it.

I went up to Miss Theo Elder's Daughter, and said, "Guess what I'm going to try!!"

She said, "Oh! You're going to pioneer!"

I said (quite deflated,) "No, I'm going to read the "Truth" book in Spanish!"

She said, "Oh." And walked away.

Spiritually weak? I was spiritually non-existent.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Minimus:

If we were a "good" JW we were, at one time or another, a "spiritual snob." Just another perk of the witness personality. Gossip and snobbery being at the top of the list of personality flaws.

Maybe if your wife gets discouraged enough because of the sisters snubbing her, (been there), maybe she will be open to some "real truth." I hope all goes well with you and your wife.

Mrs. Shakita

• jack2
    jack2

I certainly hope I was never a spirtual snob, but here's the problem - when one "does well spiritually" it so easily becomes almost the norm to begin to look down on others who are not doing the same. And I do not attribute this to just human nature (though that may factor in) - I feel that it is cultivated by the teachings and customs of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's so prevalent within the .org, I can find no other explanation for it.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have often known spiritual snobs.

I was raised in the South Hills Congregation, here in pgh, one of the oldest congregations in the world. My dad studied with the city overseer when he was coming into the truth. He was the PO for the Dormont cong. when it formed.

I often think that my brother and myself were Jehovah's way of keeping my family humble. We were the most hyper, wound up, ill-behaved children there. What can I say? We had the fire of life inside us.

So we had all the opportunity to become spiritual snobs, but a burst of mental illness will fix THAT in a hurry! When my brothers schizophrenia manifested itself, we were taught the true meaning of being "dust in the wind."

So as I got older, I found myself drawn to the loners, the freaks and geeks in the congregation. Going out in service with them. Getting burgers. I felt like I didn't really care, I was just glad that somebody thought I was worth talking to. I had some friends I hung out with - I don't think we were the "in-crowd."

Now I live on the outside, and am assembling my army of misfits, and soon we will rule the world!

CZAR

• minimus
    minimus

Without realizing it, I think anyone that was "somebody" in the truth, was probably a snob. The problem with a snob is that they don't care what you think because they feel so superior to you. I wonder if anyone really gave a spiritual snob a good verbal lashing.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

All spiritual snobs have some kind of skeletons in their closet. Find out what they are then quietly start letting people know. If that fails just lie and make up a story like everyone else. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a spiritual snob fall back to reality.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

But minimus- are we not now apostate snobs? Now that we know that we are better than the JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit