Mother Teresa Comments WT 09-15-2002

by jgnat 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Gopher,

"The WT Society's jealousy regarding the works and the...."

That's "envy" - jealousy is a guarding concern.

Best to get rid of all that jw language - it's a twisted snare - you could end up bound in knots.

paduan

" loose him and let him go "

Edited by - a paduan on 10 November 2002 18:7:9

• heathen
    heathen

I thnk it's retarded myself that the catholic church believes the pope has the authority to pronounce someone a saint.I also disagree with the wt when they teach that women qualify for being a member of this esteemed group of christians.There are way too many restrictions on women IMO.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, everybody for your comments!

A Paduan and Gopher, I think you nailed the WTS's motives on this very well. They won't write about her because they are envious of the great admiration she inspired in people, not to mention the great press. I bet Bethel could use some of that right now.

Heathen and Kenneson, I agree that self-declaring sainthood on people is silly. By everybody.

Dantheman and BB, it is true that charity is sadly missing from the society. I notice that Jesus took time out to feed and heal people. He did not stick to the "higher purpose" of saving people's souls. There is something about ladelling soup and handing out bread that grounds people.

Hurt and Dia, thanks for your comments. Dia, that is a good point about immaturity. That could explain a lot about how the society operates.

• little witch
    little witch

Thankyou Jgnat for this.

How sad to see such an honorable person villafied by the watchtower....just pathetic.

Sadly, her worth is weighed by the amount of literature placed, and not for her devotion to humanity.....

• jgnat
    jgnat

Holey resurrection, Little Witch! Mother Teresa is not so much vilified by the WTS, as studiously ignored. Which is worse?

Perhaps we can learn something on how to treat the WTS. If we all decided they were too boring to even talk about, maybe they would go away.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Remember that Mother Teresa had a Dark side. (Assuming anyone read the newspaper.)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hmmm. Never read the dark side. Wanna provide some links?

'seems to me every hero in the bible had a dark side, Jesus excepting of course. Should we write them all off, too?

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Christopher Hitchens wrote an "expose" shortly before she died pointing out that she took money from dictators and those who have caused/enforced poverty (I believe Idi Amin was one he mentioned) and that she seemed to love poverty more than the poor. I would need to be very deluded before I accepted Christopher Hitchens as a moral compass--which is not to say he didn't have some valid points. But the people I know who worked with Mother Theresa did not feel morally compromised to have worked with her!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Newsday reported that Mother Theresa required the services of an exorcist on one or more occasions. Interviewed another Church official that backed up the story. Don't know what their motive was (in reporting this). Maybe it came from Hitchens' book.

I've got no problem with Mother Theresa. Seems like she was on the right track. I don't worry about Catholic motives, as long as they continue to build hospitals and schools and shelters and soup kitchens and things like that...I think it makes up for a lot of bad doctrine.

Gamaliel

• jgnat
    jgnat

I found out my church does exorcisms. The one time I volunteered as a receptionist. Frankly, I thought there were too many of the other kind of spirits in that house, but the associate pastor said people do call for this kind of help.

Joker, how can we ignore the great work that Mother Teresa did here on earth? http://www.ewtn.com/motherteresa/

Just by inspiring others to touch the untouchables, she helped change our world.
    http://www.free.pages.at/freeheaven/poweroflove/love22.htm

One jaded journalist cannot erase all the good she did.
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1310
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1434

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit