8-Mile

by Scarlet 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Yeah, I have to agree it was pretty good. Sort of like Rocky but about rap and not boxing.

What about Ice Cube, Will Smith? Sure these guys use their popularity to get into movies, but that doesn't mean that they have to be bad actors. Granted, this movie is not for everybody, you have to have an open mind to look into other aspects of culture, but the movie doesn't exuse the culture or get political, it rather emphasizes hard work in reaching your dreams which I found refreshing for this type of film. All I can say is reserve judgement before seeing the film, it is quality work.

Edited by - RandomTask on 11 November 2002 0:28:42

• detective
    detective

I haven't seen it. It's quite the christian film according to Landoverbaptist.com

But here are excerpts from Betty Bower's take on it (satire):

But we shouldn't be too hard on Tinseltown. The Lord Himself, the true screenwriter for 8 Mile, is also rather fond of milking a successful project with a heavily promoted follow-up. After all, Heaven rushed to release Gospel I, Gospel II, Gospel III and Gospel IV on the heels of the success of the wildly dramatic, syndicated Torah. The Gospels franchise went on to out-gross the original by employing a crowd-pleasing dramatic device tantamount to Jesus stepping out of a hot shower and telling Victoria Principal that all of the Lord's many persnickety dietary laws had all been just a bad dream...

...Well, looking at the cast of 8 Mile, no one has stepped out of any showers in recent memory. And the city they live in looks dirtier than the rim of a bulimic's toilet bowl. What A Room With A View did for Florence, 8 Mile will not do for Detroit. While most people think that the Motorcity is behind the times, 8 Mile's dreary cinematography convincingly proves the contrary. Detroit is quite clearly the only city in America that has already been through the Lord's Apocalypse. And from the looks of buildings and automobiles in this movie, the horrors in Revelation appear to have been somewhat understated. Honestly, wasn't the icy bitchiness of Diana Ross enough for one city?...

You can find the whole satire here:

http://www.bettybowers.com/8mile.html

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I think all of the rappers should be in the next Scarface so Al Pachino can shoot all their asses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit