the rumor again surfaces....

by sowhatnow 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@Half banana

I wasn't offering a personal opinion but was merely restating what readers of the Bible have made known to translators over the past several generations.

It is due to complaints from readers on both sides of the pond that there have been separate editions of the RSV and NRSV, one produced in American English and one Anglicized.

You might have good reason to feel that there is no problem, but generations of readers have not agreed. It has cost the translation committees of these editions much money and time to make separate editions because of this.

So if you disagree, then you need to take your argument to them because I was unaware of this fact until I learned it from Bruce Metzger's own comments on the production of the NRSV.

I can put you in touch with these people as I would like to see how your disagreement would sit with the fact that there is a British and separate American board of translators for the NRSV, and that they were developed because of claims to the contrary. Maybe you are right and it was unnecessary. I myself find little difficulty reading either form.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Dubble
  • Half banana
    Half banana

@Calebin, what you say is very informative. How curious it is that although academic writing is universally acceptable, when it comes to anglophone Bible translations each national variant group wants it to reflect the differences and nuances peculiar to its own national ear. This says something about a country possessing its own Bible...a matter of nationhood identification with a sacralised text.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    That's such a subjective statement that it should be obvious that it was never used on Jeopardy. Furthermore, it's meaningless unless they'd be willing to concede that an endorsement for another translation by Jeopardy would be damning for the credibility of the NWT.
  • maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

here you can search every question ever asked.

http://j-archive.com/listseasons.php

• jws
    jws

In any scholarly work about the Bible I've ever read or about translations, I don't know that I've ever heard the New Translation mentioned. Even websites like biblegateway.com don't include it, even though there are dozens of others.

Surely if it were widely considered the most accurate, somebody would mention it.

Of course the JWs will say that's because Satan's trying to hide it from the world.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

CalebinFloroda, It's interesting that the NRSV is one of, if not the most highly regarded Bible translations. I say this because up until I was about 9 the WTS almost exclusively used the RSV. I was taught to memorize at least a dozen scriptures from it. When the NWT was used exclusively by JWs I had to unlearn the wording of the RSV and convert to the clumsy wording of the NWT.

If the WTS thought they were improving a respected translation, they were WRONG!

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

There should be a different translation for English.

There are differences that are subtle but still there.

"I wanna smoke a fag" or "I'm pissed"

will mean totally different things to an American as opposed to a Brit

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Seems like Alex actually said "It's the most NON ACCURATE translation of the Holy Scriptures."

THen of course the answer would be The Washtowel's edition of the Bible.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I'll take "Urban Legends" for 500 please Alex.

Q. What religious organization has had the most failed prophesies and until the advent of the Internet, was the most adept at covering up their failings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tGe3JE5IU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit