the rumor again surfaces....

by sowhatnow 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

someone please tell me how or IF I can find proof that the rumor [that is pasted below] that was posted by a friend [still in, but should know better] on my face book page is false, [which of course we all know it is,] this makes me so angry, I have to stick my neck out and comment on this post but need something to back me up....anyone want to enlighten me where this got started? i need proof he never said such a thing, it seems to me its false. whats interesting is this, the bible in the photo accompanying the statement below is the latest version...

[photo]

RE-POST FROM JULY 2009:

Recently on JEOPARDY the answer was: "It's the most ACCURATE translation of the Holy Scriptures." No contestant replied so ALEX TREBEK said: "What is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society" ~~~

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Wish I could help. I stopped watching Jeopardy 20 years ago.

http://www.4truth.net/fourtruthpb.aspx?pageid=8589951902

The clue "What is the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?" was never a clue on Jeopardy! Our database containing all our questions and answers does not have any such clue. Scripts of our games show no clues on that topic.

Hope that helps.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

hey, thanks

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

The TRUTH is that the NWT is the most appropriate VERSION for the WTS.

It is not the most accurate translation for a Christian though

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

There was a JW urban legend about Fred Franz getting a mention on Jeopardy when I was a kid. Something about him speaking 10 languages.

Yep, I swam through crocodiles with John Denver so we could watch Jeopardy together. SMH

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

There is no body of academics, scholarly or religious, that has ever come to a universal agreement on the subject mainly because there are no guidelines as to what constitutes "the most accurate translation" of all Bibles.

One of the main reasons this has never happened is that a large population still reads the Scriptures in their original tongues: the Greek Orthodox Church does not use a translation of the New Testament and Judaism doesn't require a translation of the Hebrew Bible either, and translations fail in comparison.

The next reason has to do with lanuaguage and region. What may be a great translation in one language cannot be understood in another. An Italian translation doesn't help people in China. Also American English doesn't work well in Britain or Australia.

However there is one translation that exists in both an American and Anglicized version and is used as a standard across denominational lines and in the most universities due to its high level of accuracy, scholarship, and it's ecumenical board of translators: the New Revised Standard Version or NRSV. If you take any class in any university in the U.S. that even touches on the Bible in any way, you can rest assured it will quote or even require you to use the NRSV. It is the only English translation used in common by Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants, containing the entire volume of books found in all three canons. It and its predecessor, the RSV, are considered the closest you will get to the "most accurate," but the term is not used for either in any official capacity. The most widely sold Englsih Bible is the NIV, the most widely distributed is the KJV, and the one used by more people is oddly the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem (and only because it is a Catholic Bible and there are more Catholics per capita than any other type of Christian and the JB is the official English text outside of the United States for the RCC). The NRSV is basically only used in Canada and in academic circles, making up for less that 15% of the Bible reading population.

There is no "most accurate" translation however, and the NRSV is just an agreed upon standard in most (but not all) of the English-speaking world.

A footnote to all this, the recent release of the Catholic New American Bible (NABRE) has sold almost half the number of all NWT editions ever printed. This edition of the NABRE was released just a few years ago in 2011. The total number of NWT editions counts back to 1950, and it is believed that only around 6.5 to 7 million copies of that number are still in circulation or even in existence (including the recent revision--not all JWs have the NWT in their language). By contrast there are some 75 million Catholics in the United States alone, with about the same number of all editions of the NABRE (including its previous 1971 and subsequent revisions) still in circulation.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    As was stated - the whole concept of being "most accurate" is extremely subjective.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sadly, JWs are ignorant because their leaders are ignorant. Even "educated" dubs have a myopic, non-objective view of the world in general.

"Educated", in WT-speak, simply refers to how well a dub can regurgitate the latest "shelved ideas" of the Septa-Pope.

I would do a thorough search of all Jeopardy questions related to the bible. Then you will KNOW.

It reminds of Dubs saying that CTR predicted the I-phone. The WT quoted a science article, therefore the WT predicted it. IGNORANT.

DD

• Half banana
    Half banana

(wrong thread)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

A: The most gullible people on Earth.

Q: Who are Jehovah's Witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit