given a roasting for our daughters behaviour!

by Bosho 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Fortunately for my daughter, I was basically inactive when she was small. We did go to the Memorial on a regular basis, however, and as many meetings as I could manage to haul myself to.

I would bring small things for my daughter to play with (she was only 2 or 3 at the time), and she would be fairly quiet, although wiggly, and would frequently drop small toys on the carpet that I would pick up for her.

One of the sisters suggested that her wiggling indicated that she was hyperactive and that I should put her on medication to "calm her down". She did that with her sons, and that enabled them to sit quietly like little adults.....sure....just drug your children for Jehovah....I'm sure that that's pleasing to Him.

At one meeting, my daughter did something that embarrassed me at the time, but on thinking back on it, I found it absolutely hilarious. I would constantly be telling her to "shush, and be quiet" when she would start whispering or talking during the meeting. One time, there were two teenagers sitting behind us who were whispering quite loudly. Before I could stop her, my daughter stood up on the seat, turned around, and quite loudly said, "SHHHH!! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK DURING THE MEETING!!".

• Mackin
    Mackin

Bosho,

It does not matter how you child behaves, by taking her along to the Kingdom Hall you are ruining her life. No matter if she is noisy or quiet the dub propaganda will eventually rot her mind and she will become a braindead, thought-controlled drone.

The best thing you can do, for yourself and your daughter, is never step inside the doors of a Jehovah's Witness propaganda hall again.

Mackin.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Arrrggghh I'm not surprised your fuming I would be.

Its not natural for a 2 year old to sit absolutely still and be quiet - why cant they see that. One elder once asked me if I knew how to smack my child - I could very easily have smacked the elder right there and then!

Our little boy was about two when we left but I remember the meetings were so awful, ignore what they say about just letting her read society literature at hall, it bores me so she has no chance! We used to take lots of books and drawing things, we used to sit in the over flow quite often so that he didnt have to be as quiet (this wasnt popular but it was either that or have him wineing constantly in the main hall. Also we used to let him take one little car as if we were in the over flow he could sit on the floor in front of us and drive it around quietly. If he got really bored Simon used to take him for a run around the car park and sometime to the shop over the road for some chocolate! (I think Simon used to want to get out as much as Liam!) None of this made us very popular but we got to the meetings so they cant start hassling you for that. Dont let them bully you into disaplining your child - your her mother its you who decides when she need it Dont let them get to you!

I agree the Thursday meeting is too late for a little one. Maybe just concentrate of getting to the Sunday ones?

As hard as it is to leave because of family - its the best thing we ever did. I'm so realived that Liam has never had to go to school and stand out as being different. You mother sounds supportive do you think she would shun you if you did decide to leave?

Edited by - angharad on 9 November 2002 2:31:8

• Prisca
    Prisca
    One time, there were two teenagers sitting behind us who were whispering quite loudly. Before I could stop her, my daughter stood up on the seat, turned around, and quite loudly said, "SHHHH!! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK DURING THE MEETING!!".

ROTFLOL @ this - I can just imagine this happening!

Bosho,

I'm sorry that you're having a bad time with the busy-bodies regarding your daughter. The meetings are NOT designed for children. Although I don't have kids myself, I think the advice you've been given so far is pretty good - just let your daughter be herself (within reason of course!)

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Growing up in the troof taught me how to sit still.

How to look like I was paying attention. I read the whole Bible that way. Thank God my parents removed the TV when I was growing up, so I learned to read. And the Bible I'd learned almost by heart served to be the hammer that shattered my chains in later years.

So, Mackin, just because a kid goes to the hall doesn't mean he is destined to become a drone - if he is smart he'll figure it out soon enough.

That said, some kids need a smack now and then. I was one. I wasn't there, and I don't know your kids, so I'm not saying who was right or wrong. And a lot of those elders are so frikkin self-righteous anyway.

Now that I'm almost grown up, I think kids just need to be kids. Meetings shouldn't be so long anyway. I can't sit through a two hour session now. When I do show up, mostly to see my parents, I just hover for forty-five miinutes of public droning and then depart.

CZAR

• barry
    barry

Dear Bosho, What is there at the KH for children? most churches have programs for every age group and they enjoy it. Have a look around at these and choose one. Barry

• Bosho
    Bosho

Wow!

Can I just say thanks to everyone for such encouraging comments. It helps to know I am not alone.

I'm just going to keep going as we have and ignore any comments that come our way. "You should be smacking her.. keeping her chained up..." etc etc.

I totally agree that the society needs to rethink their whole attitude to children. They expect chidren to stay in but they don't do anything active to help. The book they do have is a complete waste of time and should have a PG 13 rating on it anyway.

Thanks again everyone.

• LB
    LB

Yep, can't let a kid act like a kid. Might not make it into the new system.

I recall a sort of cute story from the hall. A cute little girl of about 3 was misbehaving (acting like a kid) a little so dad grabbed her hand and starting marching her down the aisle out to get spanked. She grabbed onto the last row of chairs (empty) and pulled them all over and screamed SAVE ME JEHOVAH which cracked us all up.

Bosho eventually pleasing mom will grow very very old. A gentle slide into inactivity might be called for soon.

• JT
    JT

Bosho,

It does not matter how you child behaves, by taking her along to the Kingdom Hall you are ruining her life. No matter if she is noisy or quiet the dub propaganda will eventually rot her mind and she will become a braindead, thought-controlled drone.

The best thing you can do, for yourself and your daughter, is never step inside the doors of a Jehovah's Witness propaganda hall again.

###########

bottom line

while many poster expressed how they get angry when someone told them to do this or that with their own kids, and like this poster she was called on the carpet=

well i hate to tell you THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO - what you are seeing is just how High Control groups work, they are merely doing what they are suppose to do-

and that is why allowing ourselves or our kids to cross the sill of a kingdom hall door puts us into this situation, THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO,

as long as you go to the hall you will have to deal either directly with this issue or know that everyone is talking about you like a dog, IT IS PART OF THE SYSTEM

IF you bad mouth a member for correcting you on how to handle your daughter they have options, tell the elders that you have a bad attitude and the next thing you know you got a sheparding viist telling you once again how to raise your kids,

if you are in a hall with crazy elders, you get to have a servicemeetng part local needs

"are we controling our kids' of course you will be embarrssed cause everyone will know that the talk is for you-

my point is this is how being in a cult works, i understand the point that you made about keeping peace with your folks,and that is where each of us have to make a personal decision

some decide to grind and bear it , others decide i have no desire to subject myself to the CHEESE CRACKER MEN and thier rules-

as long as i can recall the instructions from "Mature Sisters" have always told Immature sisters to beat thier kids-

the entire wt systems cares nothing about your feelings,

while as IW stated kids need to know when and where, this is very different

if your child ran in the Mall noone would try and connect your LOVE OF GOD TO YOUA not telling your child not to run, YET in wt world everthing one doesn't or in your case doesn't do is always being connected TO YOUR LOVE OF GOD-

this is why it frustrates persons like yourself, myself and others, for we know that a 3yr running has nothing to do with us loving or not loving god, yet in wt that is what they make you feel like

just hang in there for the day will come soon and it appears sooner rather than later that you will reach the point that keeping the "Peace" will not mean as much to you as letting your child be a child

we wish you well and hang in there - don't get upset for they are doing only what they know and that is why you and i and others have to do what we know- LEAVE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit