Dr Applewhite and Child Abuse

by snare&racket 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Her qualifications are sorely lacking, according to the Royal Commission.

My impression is Applewhite might be pretty good at offering advice on how to improve an organization's policy in response to child abuse, but when it comes to standing up in public for a policy that has weaknesses she's not very objective about admitting those weaknesses along with her recommendations for improving them. In Watchtower's case the RC had to lead her to weaknesses in Watchtower policy and then practically drag admissions out of her that the weaknesses exist. Telling to me was how she was willing to accept what Watchtower published in its own literature as representative of how JWs in general feel. This is not objective in the least!

This gal was hired by Watchtower to do one thing: make its policy look nicy-nice to the RC. Problem is, that's not what the RC is concerned with. The RC wants to know what are the weaknesses in Watchtower policy and what is going to be done about those weaknesses. Applewhite spent her time on the stand attempting an apologia when she should have concentrated on sharing objective expertise regardless of who paid her.

• GodZoo
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

What hypocrites the WT's Governing Body are! They tell the 'rank and file' to always be ready and willing as 1 Peter 3:15 says to "defend your faith and be eager to make a reply to those who question you". Yet the GB do the opposite! Here they have an opportunity to witness to millions on national TV...and instead they send an unprepared, non-believer and a woman at that to fight their battle....and they paid her top dollar for her services!

I wonder if 'Jehovah' is ashamed to be called their God!

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Marvin Shilmer - This gal was hired by Watchtower to do one thing: make its policy look nicy-nice to the RC.

Good point. And, based on all the testimony I have seen so far by JW elders/representatives and expert witness, I would say that there is a huge disconnect. The Organization's argument seems to be on showing that they can justify their policies and ideas because they are prescribed by the Bible and logically consistent with their own material. The RC's argument is about questioning the efficacy and reasonableness of the JW policies and ideas against secular/humanitarian sensibilities. These are two different things. And, I think you can see it in some of the reactions of the RC members. There is definitely a tone of frustration coming out of the RC at times.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Monica Applewhite has a reputation for giving false testimony under oath.

.http://images.bimedia.net/documents/St+Aug+v+Applewhite.pdf

In 2011, Dr. Applewhite was sued by the St. Augustine High School in New Orleans for defamation. Applewhite had given false testimony that some of the students had required medical care after receiving corporal punishment. Her testimony was proven to be wrong.

http://media.nola.com/religion_impact/other/st-augustine-lawsuit.pdf

Not only that, Applewhite had claimed that she had received reports of abuse but she did nothing about it. She did not report the alleged abuse in spite of being a mandatory reporter herself.

• sir82
    sir82

So, Dr. Applewhite is a US "expert". Presumably she wouldn't volunteer to go out and testify in an Australian RC on her own. Which indicates that the WTS is paying for her travel, lodging, and other expenses. Which would easily run into several thousands of dollars (not to mention any fee she charges for appearing as an "expert witness").

Given the WTS' absolute revulsion at spending money unless it is absolutely essential, this indicates to me that the Worldwide headquarters legal team is very concerned about what is going on in this case.

I.e., they ado not view it as inconsequential, if they are willing to spend such a large sum to defend their position.

That answers one of the questions I had - how seriously do the top dogs at world headquarters view this situation? Apparently very seriously.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Let me get this straight...She (a catholic, worldly woman) has had access to the elder's book and other confidential material.

...Let that sink in.

If you are a JW, next time you are at the Kingdom Hall ask the elders for a copy of the elder's book. Hell, have them autograph it for you.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Let me get this straight...She (a catholic, worldly woman) has had access to the elder's book and other confidential material.

I wonder if the WT gave the Doctor a copy of the letter stating that women could not even photocopy the flock book nor be able to have access to it in any way. I'd be tempted to send her a printed copy to her office.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I liked it when the Judge said something to the effect.... you proffered an opinion and want us to accept it yet you only looked at the jw literature.

This expert was unprepared and biased.

• Dagney
    Dagney

What sir82 said. I don't have the proceedings on, but at the WT table it looks like 5-6 lawyers, and by our attorney bills, that could be 2-3k per day per lawyer. Then add the preparation work leading up to the commission, (2 years was it?), it's a huge bill. And they need to spend it. They need to spend this time and money to defend their indefensible policies, ESPECIALLY in abuse cases.

Think of all the spousal abuse that has gone on in the org, including my family. The battered wife is forced to sit in a room alone with a committee that would rather be anywhere else but there, with the batterer and tell her story. There is no care for victims in this org and finally the veil is pulled away.

These a$$hole elders would not review the information before the proceedings. Now their faces and words are forever exposed to the world.

What a gift! Thank you Australian Branch and elders!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit