Nine Seconds that says it all. Have these elders any shame?

by Wasanelder Once 63 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

another thing is that the lawyer is judging what happened in 1988-89 by present day standards re child abuse. So if the elders want to come across as credible they need to focus on what little info re child abuse was available in Australia then.

To be fair, Ruby, you're talking about 1988-89 as if it were actually 1888-89.

Australia may be a British colony, a former home to excluded convicts, but surely the nation isn't so backwards in its approach to ethics and morals that child abuse was once seen as being as trite as stealing a loaf of bread.

We're dealing with universally reviled practises that are, according to the evidence on display, treated in the same way as theft or "fornication" between two consenting adults.

Australia is a developed nation with penal codes, you can't possibly be arguing that the Watchtower in that land didn't fully understand how harmful and appalling the abuse of children is and that somehow the religious organisation didn't know how to create policies and guidelines to protect its adherents and the community at large.

Sadly the JW elders in these cases are the ones who are being put on the stand to defend both themselves and the polices decreed upon them by the WTBTS headquarter's religious and legal departments.

But just because these men refused to think outside the religious box they've chosen to place themselves in doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to account by better educated men and women.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected
    Room 2157 minutes ago
    The question that begs a reply is: When, if ever, will the commission hear from any of the Bethel higher-ups?

I doubt they will hear from them. The case being discussed are those that were handled by local elders. However, it's clear that these local elders act in harmony with policies and practices handed down to them from said higher-ups.

As a result, the watching world can see inside the minds of the men who sit on high and hand down the treatment this commission is exposing.
  • steve2
    steve2

In answer to Room 2157's question: The Commission of Inquiry has no jurisdiction over non-Australian citizens and cannot summons religious leaders from other countries. For their part, even if they wished to appear, the GB could not - although theIr organization's official literature can be included.

• zeb
    zeb

The reality must be seen that elders cant get along anymore just quoting the wt clichés. That the weak 'stock-rhetoric' of wt meetings does not cut it with the commission.

• barry
    barry

Ruby,

I admit we are a bunch of the descendants of criminals from England but we have advanced to a modern society.

I believe the elders are getting a dose of the same medicine they give out to the people under their care in the congregation because in this royal commission they are treated better than the people under them that have suffered as victims

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Ruby456

oh c'me on OrphanCrow - I have done all my reading re the commission and stand by my concerns. I don't like to see the shit kicked out of people even if they deserve it - so we are very different.

I still think there should be proper representation for both parties. This is coming across like Jesus being questioned before the Sanhedrin but whats more this is even worse as it is public whereas that was in private. edit: Plus Jesus could stand his own better as he was what we would today consider middle class from a sociological perspective whereas these elders who are being questioned are probably not even that, having probably left school at 16-18.

So - why is the JC from the elders not public (like the bible want it)?

So - where is the proper representation for both parties in a JC?

Why can a JC not be filmed? Why must be the documents of a JC destroyed?

Why can't I have a lawyer or other person with me in a JC - when the elders are 3 persons?

Because, the elders are thinking, that it is OK in this way they handle it.

So they have to accept, that it is for the Royal Commission also OK the way, they doing it.

@ Ruby456:
    This does not mean, that I don't like you. Thanks for posting so openly what you think.

For me only this one point you wrote is worthy of discussion. :-)

edit:

*** hb p. 21 You Have the Right to Choose ***
    Of course, Christians agree with laws or court action to prevent child abuse or neglect.
  • Room 215
    Room 215
    Folks, when I asked about Bethel higher-ups, above, I was referring to Australian nationals at the Australian Bethel.
  • Splash
    Splash
    Room 215 The question that begs a reply is: When, if ever, will the commission hear from any of the Bethel higher-ups?

The last two witnesses who will be called are

Rodney Spinks - Member of the Service Dept. in WTBTS Australia, and
    Vincent Toole - JW Solicitor and Head of Legal at WTBTS Australia.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Toole lives up to his name.

This'll be ugly.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think this line of questioning is actually making Bowditch think. I get the impression it never crossed his mind that he should try to keep non-JW children safe. I think it has now.

And Beth-Hell will hang all these Australian elders out to dry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit