My S.A.D. experience

by NewYork44M 42 Replies latest jw friends

• rocky220
    rocky220

Anyone in the audience with a legitimate college education and a good job as a result, can see right thru the Bull---t. It's a blatant insult to one's intelligence!.....Trust me with this information and the "secret eldr's meeting thread".......after 20- 30 yrs......they dont want me back....trust me...rocky220

• out4good3
    out4good3
    I told my friends I was going to college. They said Armageddon would be here before I graduated.

I got the same spiel from the "elder Pairs" that came to my house every other weekend for six months when I decided to go back to school. they told me that I'd never make much more money than what I was making at the time flipping burgers. Told me I could do so much more if I spent more time in my "ministry", reached out for more "Privileges", and if I'd just "wait in Jah" a little more.

Yeah-Right!!!

• blondie
    blondie

My question is, now that many of you are free from the WTS mind lock, have you gone back to school? I did and was surprised to find many non-JWs doing the same thing. Not only a religion can block a person from going. Some did go but spent so much time partying they dropped out after 2 years; some did not like school and so did not have the grades to get in; some did not have the funds at the time they left HS; some now have families and are motivated to earn more money rather than just drift along; etc., etc. Some were single mothers with children, some were single fathers with custody of their children, some were grandparents, others were already employed but wanted to do something different. I met men going into nursing strugging with biology and chemistry that the only time chemistry interested them was when they were making beer. Black, white, Asian, Native American, male, female, young and old.

Malcolm Forbes said that "It is only too late when you are dead." Find reasons and ways to make it happen and it will. I know, I met the people who proved it can at school.

Blondie (Lesson 98)

• metatron
    metatron

I knew a stoner who worked at menial jobs inspite of having a masters degree
    in philosophy.

Moral: College does not absolutely guarantee success, but it sure helps.
    Avoid liberal arts degrees unless you can be reasonably sure of a good job.

metatron

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

metatron, you bring up a good point, although one missed by the speaker at the assembly. Education is an investment, and with any investment, it takes thought and effort to make the investment worthwhile.

There will always be example of people who spend years in school and afterwards decide that what they studied is not what they want to do with the rest of their lives. However, I challenge you, that even these people are better off with an education, than living their lives in ignorance. Education gives you choices that you would not otherwise have.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"However, some well-meaning friend told him that he needed to get an education, so the brother quit pioneering and went on to get a "doctorate and several other degrees."

This experience is insulting to the intelligence of even a JW audience. Just imagine, someone comes along and says, "Hey, you should get an education." So, based on an off hand remark, the man goes out and spends 10 years in university?

This is like telling a person that his shoe lace is untied, so he goes out and buys the Nike corporation.

I don't even think that the speaker knows that you need other degrees before you can get a PHD.

• gumby
    gumby

The first illustration had to do with a man who won the biggest lottery ever at that time. Unfortunately, the man squandered the money and within a few months had lost everything, including his family.

Now does it really surprise us that they use WORST CASE SCENARIOS?

What about all the ones who win the lottery and get their families together better than they ever were? You won't ever hear a comendable story of someone who went to colledge or won the lottery.

They are so damn above everyone. Let's suppose a CO was given 1 million dollars from a generous publisher. Do you think he would get rid of the dough for fear his family might fall apart or that he might squander the money? Hell no!!!!!

• undercover
    undercover
    They did treat us like immature, child-like drones. No wonder. We couldn't speak for ourselves, and we couldn't make our own choices about even simple things, like how to wear our clothing, or what movies to see, or what books to read.

They controlled us, and they still control a lot of people. This is the cult aspect of the religion. Yet, some people like to be collared and quartered, and held back, because they don't have to "do" anything other than what someone else tells them to do.

The last CO that came through while I was still attending mtgs was a condescending, mealy-mouthed jerk. He pretended to be o-so-nice but in fact was anything but. Each visit made me dislike him more than the last. He stood over us and acted so high and mighty. We were beneath him in everything. Even the area of the country we lived in was inferior to where he grew up. The most telling thing he said that showed his attitude was this, "If you aren't doing everything possible in Jehovah's service, if you aren't giving whole-souled and making sacrifices, real sacrifices, putting yourselves out, then why bother?". I may not have the exact wording right but it's pretty close. I remember him standing with that smirk on his face as if it happened yesterday saying with dramatic pause, "....then why bother?". I said to myself, "He's right. Why bother?" If what I'm doing isn't good enough, then the heck with it anyway. I've killed myself all these years and this is the encouragement I get? Sometime later, I started doing research and just like most others, had doubts in both directions, "they're wrong" or "what if I'm wrong". It's getting better and I guess I really should thank that CO cause he's the one that got me thinking to begin with.

I remember being called in the back room more than once for grooming. Tie is too loud. Hair is too long. Trim your mustache. Cowboy boots are not allowed for service.

Close friend got busted for watching R-rated movies. A so called "friend" in the cong. saw em in his house and went running to the elders. As long as he watched em he couldn't be an MS. They reviewed with him every so often to make suer he was complying. Another close friend who is MS and whos father is an elder watch em all the time. Even go to theater to see em. No one questions them.

Always hid books, magazines and movies when cleaning person came to house cause she was JW and didn't want her to go running to tell on me.

Is this anyway for a grown person to have to live? Kinda like living under the Taliban.

• metatron
    metatron

Don't you love the unending, unyielding hopelessness and helplessness
    of Witnesses?

No matter what happens, you're screwed. You can't win. Give up now and you won't waste
    any time trying. Admit defeat accept your misery. A dead, pointless, and imaginary
    ministry is your only choice. Resistance is futile. Oh well, sh*t happens, so what can
    you do except wait for Armageddon

and wait
    and wait
    and wait
    and have your kids wait
    and wait
    and have your grandkids wait
    and wait

and put your whole life on hold, year after year, while everything else
    passes you by .... waiting and waiting and waiting

metatron

• r51785
    r51785

the C.O. made a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.

This hasn't actually ever happened, has it???!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit