My S.A.D. experience

by NewYork44M 42 Replies latest jw friends

• nilfun
    nilfun

Compare this:

The next illustration was, in my opinion, even worse. The C.O. met a brother in his mid 40s working in McDonalds. He asked the brother to sit with him during his break so he could impart some encouragement to the bro. The CO asked why he was working at McDonalds

With this:

He then got a job at MD's, and he's done very well for himself. I think he own's one now, and lives in a very nice part of town.

Owning a McDonald's as opposed to working at one are two very different things.....

Now, if that is the same guy, it really makes me sick that the brothers weren't honest with those attending this S.A.D. occasion....

• larc
    larc

Back in 1987, the WT gave grudging aknowledgement to the fact that the children might need some education beyond high school. Now, when I read the verbal strictures put on such, it makes me sick. The poor children with talent are still pressured not to attend. How sad. In my case, I told my friends I was going to college. They said Armageddon would be here before I graduated. Those former friends are grandparents now, soon to be great grandparents. Lurkers beware.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

If the "rest of the story" is that this person OWNS a McDonald then the C.O. made a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. If that is true, I am angrier now than after listening to the talk.

• outnfree
    outnfree

It is still SO discouraging to me to hear that the examples being held up before the young people are still those who are eschewing higher education in order to "be used by Jehovah."

How is it that Jews down through history have prized education so highly so that they could make this world a better place in the here and now? And yet, the Witnesses, who ostensibly share the same faith base, put so little stock in helping others in a practical way while awaiting the Big A?

Never mind that the magazines and KMs give lip service to higher education being ok. The message at the Special Assemblies is still the same ol', same ol' -- Jehovah wants you dumb and busy in the publishing work! (If you're dumb, maybe you won't catch on that you're being exploited by a multi-million dollar corporation.)

Ashi,

Well, if you know the guy, then the story was deliberately edited to make it look like "doctorate, schmoctorate, I shoulda kept slaving for Jehovah!" when, in fact, the gentleman had a high paying job which he stepped down from because of the neutrality issue. Not the same kettle of fish at all, and I can't help thinking the Society is well aware of that.

out

• blondie
    blondie

Just a question, are these young people mostly sisters? If so, if you are a woman in the WTS organization and you want a husband, you better be a regular pioneer.

Check back in a couple of years after these sisters find Brother Right and have settled down and had babies. Regular pioneering is a thing of the past.

Young brothers regular pioneer to get ahead administratively. Bethel service, MS, elder, are all achieved more easily with a few years of RP under their belt. Then then can quit, and never pioneer again living off the residuals.

Many young RPs go to college, since mommy and daddy are footing the bill.

I can't remember the last time a young brother said that Bethel or RP was his goal.

They must have had to scour the circuit to find those examples.

Blondie

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Amazing,

I agree with you here. They did treat us like immature, child-like drones. No wonder. We couldn't speak for ourselves, and we couldn't make our own choices about even simple things, like how to wear our clothing, or what movies to see, or what books to read.

They controlled us, and they still control a lot of people. This is the cult aspect of the religion. Yet, some people like to be collared and quartered, and held back, because they don't have to "do" anything other than what someone else tells them to do. They don't have to have reasonable logic. They don't have to make reasonable choices. Instead, they like the rut they are in. My mother is one of those.

• Mum
    Mum

If he had a Ph.D. and worked at McDonald's, that would be sad.

What's really SAD is having a Ph.D. and being a JW. What a waste!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Hell, I could be talking about someone else, but that is a verifiable story on my end.

Perhaps there is another guy with a doctorate that pioneers while working at McDonalds. Never know, there could be TWO people in the universe that are nuts, but this guy is definitely not doing too bad that I know. He drives a lexus and lives in a pretty nice area of town.

When I was younger I remember that he struggled working there, but as he got older, he just did better and better. I think he did get out of the business a bit more as he got older, but he made a killing and owns a shitload of MD stock, so he can't be doing too bad, even if he is pioneering.

ash

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I read the experience again, and it can't be the same guy. He certainly doesn't "work" at McDonalds anymore. He's doing administrative stuff as far as I know.

Jesus, what a croc of shit. Don't get an education, or as the JW masses call it, eddy-ca-shen. Learning things to better yourself is bad.

ash

• wasasister
    wasasister

When I first saw the subject line, I thought you might be talking about Seasonal Affective Disorder, something with which I am familiar.

Come to think of it, since these assembly days are seasonal, they could well be the same Disorder! Are you depressed after sitting in a windowless room all day??

Wasa/walking towards the light....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit